• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

King Avionics Parts? KN-64

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As for the plastic piece in the DME the avionics shop will give the unit a really good look over / tuneup on the bench and check my work they will issue a yellow tag upon verification that the work I did was proper.
I just glanced back over this thread, and that last part made me laugh. What do you suppose that yellow tag does for you, anyway? What does it mean? Does one need to be a repair station to "issue" a yellow tag? Does it have any meaning, or carry any weight? Does it play any role at all in determining that a part is airworthy? If you guessed the answer to these questions is a big, resounding NO!, then you'd be right...it's meaningless, does nothing for you, carries no weight, and doesn't stand for a darn thing, nor signify that you did the work correctly.

Wanna try again, Mr. Mechanic?

The yellow tag is an inventory tool to mark a part when removed as a reminder that it's airworthy. Putting a yellow tag on an item doesn't make it airworthy, and your part as removed isn't...so it's a green tag item...repairable, then. Even at that, the green tag is nothing more than a color coding way of tracking parts on the shelf...nothing more.

Only repair stations may repair avionics.

ERJ, not necessarily the case. It depends on what type of equipment it is. Only "calibration" of "radio equipment" is considered a major repair. That would leave knob replacement, internal lights, etc. within the range of an A&P.
"Calibration and repair" of "instruments" is also a no-no so you have to take care what you're getting into.
And of course if you remove a transponder, you may have to deal with the local Feds definition of 91.413 "where any maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply......." The key phrase here is "error may be introduced". That could be reracking it by some definitions.
The problem is the term "Avionics" is not in the FAR's vocabulary. "Radio" and "Instrument" are the words that have to be dealt with and sometimes the difference gets murky. I think a DME is a "radio" so the repair is no big deal and it can be checked out by any experienced A&P that has the knowledge, equipment, etc. or a repair station.

ERJ, not necessarily the case. It depends on what type of equipment it is. Only "calibration" of "radio equipment" is considered a major repair. That would leave knob replacement, internal lights, etc. within the range of an A&P.
"Calibration and repair" of "instruments" is also a no-no so you have to take care what you're getting into.
And of course if you remove a transponder, you may have to deal with the local Feds definition of 91.413 "where any maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply......." The key phrase here is "error may be introduced". That could be reracking it by some definitions.
The problem is the term "Avionics" is not in the FAR's vocabulary. "Radio" and "Instrument" are the words that have to be dealt with and sometimes the difference gets murky. I think a DME is a "radio" so the repair is no big deal and it can be checked out by any experienced A&P that has the knowledge, equipment, etc. or a repair station.

Thats about what the feds told me today.There is a published opinion on the subject the feds will be mailing me a copy snail mail next week so i will expect it in 3 to 4. I am in no hurry I have more time than money.

I guess I'm a little confused here. You have an Avionics shop that will agree to "certify" the unit after you install the part, but on the other hand, they refuse to sell you the part.

Are they speaking out of both sides here?

Or, are you trying to get the part, install it, and then take the whole unit to an unsuspecting avionics shop and ask them to bench test and certify?

Nobody wants to pay more than they have to, but sometimes, if you want to be in aviation, you best realise that it costs a fair amount of dough. Buck up, and let a pro fix it!

Hung

I guess I'm a little confused here. You have an Avionics shop that will agree to "certify" the unit after you install the part, but on the other hand, they refuse to sell you the part.

Are they speaking out of both sides here?

Or, are you trying to get the part, install it, and then take the whole unit to an unsuspecting avionics shop and ask them to bench test and certify?

Nobody wants to pay more than they have to, but sometimes, if you want to be in aviation, you best realise that it costs a fair amount of dough. Buck up, and let a pro fix it!

Hung

According to the agreement that they have with king/Honeywell they are not allowed to sell any parts unless they install it. So if I can obtain the part some how "I have obtained one" I can install and they will be more then happy to certify.

It seems to me that if your DME is working, less the selector knob, then have the knob repaired. Why do you need a bench test?

Installed new spring, performed function check, installed unit in A/C

This is exactly why I got out of General aviation. Owners that are too cheap to do it right, the first time.

Hey NW pilot, Will you let me fly your airplane next time I go on vacation? I mean you can supervise......

Hammerfall

Here is the flipside to that:

The reason why I will probably get out of general avaition is unscrupulous mechanics that charge 4 hours of labor to replace a knob on a radio that they should be able to fix in 1 hour.

Dirt

This is exactly why I got out of General aviation. Owners that are too cheap to do it right, the first time.

Hey NW pilot, Will you let me fly your airplane next time I go on vacation? I mean you can supervise......

It was done by an avionics shop the first time.

With an attitude like your no I would not let you fly my plane.

Here is the flipside to that:

The reason why I will probably get out of general avaition is unscrupulous mechanics that charge 4 hours of labor to replace a knob on a radio that they should be able to fix in 1 hour.

Dirt

I know many good mechanics it is the other specialty shops that know they can gouge the customer the book/manual says allot 4 hours of time so they charge 4 hours regardless if it takes them 30min.

The Word I don't like to hear when they are working on my stuff "Oops"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back