King Avionics Parts? KN-64

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NW_Pilot

I have a King KN-64 DME in my C-150 Last night on my way home from Seattle the selector nob would not turn left only right it did this once before right but not left. The shop had to replace a small piece of plastic behind the knob. I can replace this myself and have the DME inspected and reinstalled by a local shop for an hour of labor. Here is the problem they will not order me the part unless they install it I don't want to pay 4 hours labor again @ $90.00/hr for a part that only costs a couple of bucks I can replace it myself. Are there any avionics guru's here that can order the part for me? If So PM Me If not I will live with a right turning knob thanks in advance.

That plastic piece should have lasted more then 2 years.

The correct answer is no, you may not change it yourself.
This is not preventive maintenance.

End of story.

You're surprised that a legitimate shop doesn't want to sell you parts that you can illegally install yourself?

At least you're consistant.

The correct answer is no, you may not change it yourself.
This is not preventive maintenance.

End of story.

Your right, This is not preventive maintenance! I never said it was. I can change it myself! It will have a conformity inspection done on it by a local avionics shop and they will reinstall it and check for operation. I have the service/parts manual and the part on it's way as of today should be here in a week.

Last edited:
Your right, This is not preventive maintenance! I never said it was. I can change it myself! It will have a conformity inspection done on it by a local avionics shop and they will reinstall it and check for operation. I have the service/parts manual and the part on it's way as of today should be here in a week.
Because it is not preventative maintenance, you CANNOT install it yourself. You cannot do the work, and having someone else check it for a "conformity inspection" doesn't change that. For you to install the part is illegal. You can't sign off the work you do, either, and as you lack the qualifications to do the work, sign off the work, and the experience of having done the work before (you've read the performance rules for Part 43, have you not?), you can't do it.

That you're willing to do so and have no qualms about the legality thereof speaks volumes about you...as does many of your other actions and comments...but again, at least you're consistant.

While you're at it, why don't you overhaul your motor then get someone to do a "conformity check."

After maintenance, where exactly does a "conformity check" make an item airworthy, or return it to service?

You often talk about wanting to be a professional. You need to start acting like it.

--why, for the love of pete, would you bother to install the part, then have the shop "reinstall" it? You can't work on it in the first place. Think about it.

Avbug! I am building an O-200 with the oversight of an A&P/IA I do the work and he dose the inspections to make sure the work was done right and signs it off. great way to collect different tools and pick up knowledge of horizontally opposed engines.

As for the plastic piece in the DME the avionics shop will give the unit a really good look over / tuneup on the bench and check my work they will issue a yellow tag upon verification that the work I did was proper. Thats is their "oversight". They will reinstall it and sign the aircraft logbook. Unless you can provide me with a FAR stating otherwise that this is not approved then the plan is set. I Will also call my local FSDO inspector to check prior to doing any repairs since you feel so strong about this being illegal.

If you've read this site for very long, then you should know that nothing you receive at the FSDO level is authoritative, or binding...a fool looks for answers at the FSDO.

They will reinstall it and sign the aircraft logbook.

You will install it, they will remove it and reinstall it, and then sign it off? Brilliant...how about building an airplane so someone else can take it apart and put it together again, too? Or stitching up your cat after it gets run over, so the vet can cut the stitches then stitch it up again. You're a sly one. Not bright, but sly.

Thats is their "oversight".

You won't find oversight in the regulation. A mechanic may supervise someone else, but that doesn't mean they do the work and the mechanic checks it, removes it, and reinstalls it.

You're a flying satistic, a corpse with a throttle in one hand, but apparently the same applies to you in the shop. Nobody tells you anything you don't want to hear.

If you've read this site for very long, then you should know that nothing you receive at the FSDO level is authoritative, or binding...a fool looks for answers at the FSDO.

You will install it, they will remove it and reinstall it, and then sign it off? Brilliant...how about building an airplane so someone else can take it apart and put it together again, too? Or stitching up your cat after it gets run over, so the vet can cut the stitches then stitch it up again. You're a sly one. Not bright, but sly.

You won't find oversight in the regulation. A mechanic may supervise someone else, but that doesn't mean they do the work and the mechanic checks it, removes it, and reinstalls it.

You're a flying satistic, a corpse with a throttle in one hand, but apparently the same applies to you in the shop. Nobody tells you anything you don't want to hear.

Whatever bug!!! I never said I was going to install the DME for them to remove it and reinstall it. Please provide a specific FAR to backup that one cannot learn and be supervised by a properly rated and certified technician? That would make the repairs made by a A&P students Illegal along with all owner assisted annuals.

1, I will remove the DME
2, I will disassemble the housing
3, I will replace the plastic spring
4, I will reassemble to a point ware my work can be checked by a certified technician.
5, That same certified technician will tune the radio and and install it in to the airplane and verify functions.

Saving me about 3.5 hours labor @ $90.00 an hour thats a savings.

hey bug you own an airplane?

http://www.bartleby.com/61/45/S0904500.html

Avionic shop technicians are "repairman". A repairman works at a repair station. Only repair stations may repair avionics. Repairmen may not supervise, only mechanics may supervise. Mechanics may not work on and release avionics for service. The repairmens certificate is only valid at the repair station that he works at. An inspector must must buy off the repairmens work on the work order to make the repair legal.

Perhaps you should make 14CFR145 required reading before vernturing into unknown territory. It may save you an accident or violation.

To say nothing of Part 43, and Part 65...

That would make the repairs made by a A&P students Illegal along with all owner assisted annuals.

"A&P students" are not mechanics. That would put them in the same boat as...you. With no more privilege than you.

There is no such thing as an "owner assisted annual." In fact, whereas a mechanic may supervise an uncertificated person in doing a repair, the holder of an Inspection Authorization CANNOT do so, and does not have the authority to supervise someone else doing the inspection. He or she MUST do it personally.

You really should sit down and read the regulation.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back