• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kalitta Future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any idea what percentage of the business is DOD movements?

I asked this during my interview. I could have sworn MH said it was 40%. At the time I thought that was very high, but I thought that is what he said. Of course I could be wrong, which it very well sounds like I am.

From someone with military log experience:

Kalitta isn't going anywhere. Neither is NAA, World or Omni. The military doesn't have enough organic airlift to come close to what they need to move the troops and cargo worldwide.

I'm not so sure about NAA and WOA. They both had more capacity available than DOD entitlement. They are parking 16 aircraft.

Omni and Atlas are the strongest on the DOD pax side.

DOD didn't prevent ATA from failing...

I'm not so sure about NAA and WOA. They both had more capacity available than DOD entitlement. They are parking 16 aircraft.

Omni and Atlas are the strongest on the DOD pax side.

DOD didn't prevent ATA from failing...

anyone get the impression that DOD is a sort of "King Maker" in this sector?

One day Evergreen is the darling, the next day it's World, then Kalitta, then Omni, then Atlas... etc... it's all about DOD contracts in the end for most of these companies that rely on federal contracts.

I asked this during my interview. I could have sworn MH said it was 40%. At the time I thought that was very high, but I thought that is what he said. Of course I could be wrong, which it very well sounds like I am.

Just saw a VERY tired looking 747 classic on the ramp at Bagram, all white with just black "Kalitta Air" on the side. It was either really tired or really dirty.

due for a bath at OSCODA, if its the ship i'm thinking of she is R powered so dirty definitely not tired !!!

Kalitta, along with all her sister ADHOC's, is scrambling to shed the Classic's, and purchase -400's as soon as possible. No matter the engine, all Classic's are tired and old. The military knows this, and giving preference to the -400 for all future lift. Darling or not, you won't get the military contract much longer, flying the old pull start. Connie knows this, and is scrambling right now to unload his Classic-heavy fleet. Of all the ADHOC's, Kallita is the most over-positioned in Classic's. And it remains to be seen, if Connie can produce enough revenue on them to overcome their ever-increasing costs, and narrowing customer base. In any case, sugar daddy DOD is moving on to the 21 century.

Sure at the end of the day Connie would like all 400's but not at the still silly asking prices of them. That will all change when more 787's and 747-8's get delivered and airlines off load their 400's and the price comes down. When they do he will move on them. 400's are not that much more efficient than R models, yes they carry a little more cargo but crew costs are the same.

In the meantime the classic will continue to fly and make money. Our last R powered birds were the last off the line and are not that old (in airliner years!!!).

ALL the classics are paid for (and all but 3 of our 400's), so when things get slow Connie doesn't have a large bank note to pay, he can idle the fleet, reduce the ACMI rate (read under cut others) to keep them flying. This is not so with the others.

Yea, the classics aren't making money....that's probably the reason two more airframes have been added to the Middle East fleet to acommodate the very increased flight schedule.

Also a very large portion of our Mid East flying is not for the military, and they could care less how dirty the AC is that's flying their stuff. Have you seen the hundreds of IL-76's flying around the Mid East/Stans? The classics have their place in ACMI and will continue for years to come.

guys don't get defensive, the bottom line will always speak the truth,and God's grace it is very black. actually we are not scrambling to unload anything,the Classic still has its mission.

Latest resources

Back