Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sandstorm

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? :confused:

All of us that were suppose to be in class on Monday were called by MH today telling us that we may want to consider staying at our current jobs if it is still an option. The company's #s for 2012 were down quite a bit. I believe he said 15%-20%. Anyway, he said if we couldn't stay at our current jobs that we could still go to class on Monday, but there is no guarantee that we would make it more than a few months, let alone finish training, without being furloughed. He also mentioned the possibility of parking an airplane. I completely respect him and am thankful that he called to give us a heads up, but I am really bummed about not going to class.

If you K4 guys have any insight or know more as to what is going on would you mind sharing please?

post holiday depression...

I spoke with my friend at Kalitta and things are indeed sounding somewhat alarming all of a sudden. He said that there in one -400 in for an A check right now that will be out for another week or so and a second -400 going in for a D check that will take it out for quite a while. I'm not sure if that is what Manley meant by "parking a plane."

My friend also said he has heard rumblings here and there that the classics aren't flying very much. However, he's a 400 guy so he cannot substantiate that fact.

Definitely doesn't sound good and I hope it doesn't go too bad for you guys!

I wanted to give everybody an update about what is going on at Kalitta. I talked to the Chief Pilot, PW, and he stated that the January 9th class for the Classic was downsized but the class for the -400 is still proceeding. This is due to the projected flying for the classic fleet verses the historic monthly utilization rate of crews. The first quarter should tell the tale of what future hiring will be required for the Classic fleet.

The 400s are still going strong. I just got a call a few days ago for overtime. A good friend of mine on the classic said that things are pretty slow over there. No overtime and very few are breaking guarantee. It is pretty typical for the first quarter of the year to be slow. Many of us wondered about the companies wisdom to hire so many people. The new hire classes seemed to never stop. I believe Connie was manning up for the new rest requirements which unfortunately will not be required for us. I heard they were going to park a classic but that is just a rumor. I just took 742CK (400) into Oscoda for a D check. MX said it will be down for a month. The new 400 just came online so for the next month we are operating with 6 400s.

Last edited:
Nice to know that there is some flying out there, Hope that there is a class in a few months. Does anyone know how many folks are in the pool?

buddy of mine was told that the classic class was going to be cancelled, but since they made the decision so late, they decided to run the class in case some folks could not go back to previous employment. The 400 class is still going as planned.

buddy of mine was told that the classic class was going to be cancelled, but since they made the decision so late, they decided to run the class in case some folks could not go back to previous employment. The 400 class is still going as planned.

so did they start the classic class?

I was in the classic class and was told that is was cancelled, I was able to get my job back. MH told me that we are in the pool for the next class.

i am just slightly confused by skypine's post, did they allow some classic guys to start class or only the 01 for the 400?

Latest resources

Back