• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

iaflyer

Haulin the folks...
Kalitta Air Buys Boeing 747-400 BCF
Wednesday December 5, 10:32 am ET
YPSILANTI, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kalitta Air, L.L.C. announced today that it has agreed to purchase a Boeing 747-400 BCF (Boeing converted freighter), the first of several such aircraft that it plans to add to its fleet in coming years.

The international all-cargo airline based at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, Michigan, has agreed to purchase the 747-400 BCF, equipped with four (4) General Electric CF6-80 C2B1F engines, from Japan Airlines/JALUX, Inc. The aircraft is to be delivered in May 2009.

Kalitta Air’s CEO, Connie Kalitta, expressed his enthusiasm for the new acquisition: “This is an exciting time for us. The technological advances of the 747-400 BCF include significantly greater range and fuel efficiency over earlier model Boeing freighters, making it an ideal aircraft for our global network. This purchase marks a milestone for Kalitta Air, which is completing another year of record revenues and is solidly positioned for future growth.”

Mr. Kalitta said that the company is negotiating for a second 747-400 aircraft for 2009 delivery, adding that the company’s goal is to add eight additional 747-400 freighter aircraft to its fleet over the next few years.

Kalitta Air operates a scheduled all-cargo route network that extends from Hong Kong to the US and on to Europe and the Middle East. It also provides aircraft on an ACMI basis to major international airlines, operates commercial freight charters worldwide and provides 747 freighter lift to the US Department of Defense. The company began service in November 2000 with three Boeing 747-200 freighters. Kalitta Air’s fleet now totals 19 Boeing 747 freighter aircraft.

Kalitta Air also operates a FAR Part 145 Repair Station in Oscoda, Michigan with more than 700 employees. This facility performs the heavy/line maintenance on the Kalitta fleet, as well as fleet maintenance, repair and service to other aircraft operators. An additional wide body hangar is under construction with a completion date of January 2008. According to Mr. Kalitta, “This additional hangar will enable our company to better maintain our fleet of aircraft, as well as accommodate maintenance services for other airlines.”

Kalitta Air, L.L.C. D.C. Sanderlin, 734-484-0088

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20071205005717&newsLang=en

I bet that will be the cheapest 400 ever purchased on the used market. I wonder whats wrong with it? Either way its good news or the CKS pilots.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice! Wish they were PW powered. It's cool either way though! I wonder if the old man is gonna fly her on it's maiden voyage?

I bet that will be the cheapest 400 ever purchased on the used market. I wonder whats wrong with it? Either way its good news or the CKS pilots.

There's nothing wrong with them. Connie and JAL have an excellent relationship.

BTW, JAL has the best used 74-anything (or any airplane for that matter) on the market!

Yea , I don't get this guy's comment, Yes, Connie gets great deals. But why would anything have to wrong with it. -400's are the planes to buy, and I am sure fetch a steep price, Anyone in the ACMI business wants them. And PW's, aren't GE's like 2000 pounds lighter, less MX, more fuel efficient?

Lighten up

You guys are way to serious. It's called a joke, were talking about Connie Kalitta here. Jeez

You guys are way to serious. It's called a joke, were talking about Connie Kalitta here. Jeez

I have to agree with ya, Connie does have a "reputa" for buying cheap airplanes. But coming from JAL after having flown for them myself, I'm sure they are nice acft. Can't believe they are GE powered though, almost all of JAL's fleet, including the 777, is P&W Powered.

Pw

I have to agree with ya, Connie does have a "reputa" for buying cheap airplanes. But coming from JAL after having flown for them myself, I'm sure they are nice acft. Can't believe they are GE powered though, almost all of JAL's fleet, including the 777, is P&W Powered.

Yeah that is kinda strange, unless I am wrong, I know all of the classics Connie has are PW, right? Maybe since they are GE that's why JAL is getting rid of them and not converting them for themselves. I've always been more fond of PW's myself, that's all. The 4056/4060 is a pretty good motor. At least they aren't RR! The -400 is a pretty kick ass airplane too, it's pretty exciting, but I am an airplane nerd so...

Punisher, go back to playing that E-Box, I see you need 3 more EXP points to upgrade. Niiiiiiice.

Yea , I don't get this guy's comment, Yes, Connie gets great deals.

In Connie's world, bull$hit walks. He has the cash and the means to buy. No endless reems of paperwork like most companies and all the crap those goes with it. Cash and carry. If Connie got a good deal, its because he made it but then again he does have a reputation for a reason.
And I don't even work for him.

If you are going to buy old airplanes, buy them from the Japaneese!

The downside is that it's going to cut into the pay from VHHH to PANC, saving even more money!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back