[K]now it all captains?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TopGun-MAV

what do you do when you fly with a captain that thinks he knows everything. everytime i correct a captain they make it sound like i'm the idiot but i was correcting or reminding them to do something?

mav

TopGun-MAV said:
what do you do when you fly with a captain that thinks he knows everything. everytime i correct a captain they make it sound like i'm the idiot but i was correcting or reminding them to do something?

mav

Its KNOW.

And I just tell them " Hey man, I learned from TopGun-Mav, and he learned from his neighbor, Chuck Yeager, so shut the **** up!!"

Maybe instead of "correcting" the captain, you had some personal interaction skills and "suggest" what you think may be right to the captain they might not make you out to be a tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
TopGun-MAV said:

mav
now it all captains?

you got a jet job and are rated in the 1900 and 145 with less than 1000 hrs. or are your times not updated.

TopGun-MAV said:

mav

When an FO corrects me I always make sure that I pay for all the beers that night. The way I look at it, the FO is just looking out for me and the crew. Any Captain that gives you grief for keeping them out of trouble is a 100% Grade A Douchebag.

Many people don't know ways to correct others without offending them. It's sometimes hard to give advice or suggestions in a careful manner.

Try things like:

"Captain, it's my understanding that..."
"I thought it meant..."
"In my experience..."

Or just keep your mouth shut. Unless he's trying to kill you it's probably OK.

The other possibility is that you only think you are helping. In fact maybe you are saying stupid irrelevent things and just pissing him off.

I have seen that kind of FO. Usually a low-time guy who doesn't trust the captain, but doesn't know enough himself to realize that he is out to lunch.

Just a possibility!

"hey captain, would you like me to ______?"
"I think we were supposed to ____, would you like me to double check?"

Correcting the captain, or offering input to which the captain should listen? Sometimes it's fine line, and sometimes it's a thick, ugly one.

I've flown with Captains in the past who wouldn't listen, didn't care to receive or solicit input, and who made me feel about an inch high. I've flown with others who were just the opposite. I've flown with First officers who were so incompetent that I dared not let them touch the controls, and two whom I questioned their basic credentials. I've also had first officers for whom I wrote letters to the Chief Pilot recommending them for upgrade. Skilled, well qualified individuals. All kinds, in other words.

As a Captain, I'm the PIC. I consider my crew very valueable, but you have to remember, it is not a democracy. There should always be an air of consideration and cooperation, but it is not a democracy.

Conversely, when I'm not the PIC, I try hard to stay within my bounds. A good first officer won't neglect to bring anything to the Captain's attention that he feels needs to be brought to the captains attention...but a good first officer doesn't necessary strike out to correct the captain. Except...

The first words when the first officer does offer correction, such as being low on speed, off glideslope, etc, are "Thank you, correcting." I firmly believe that "thank you," time permitting, is one of the most correct responses because it expresses grattitude and respect for the first officer's performance of his or her duty. To fault or interrrupt or hold back that duty would be a great shortcoming on the part of the captain.

If instead, the first officer has come from a background which doesn't use the centerline during taxi and takeoff, for example, he or she would be inappropriate to try to correct the captain who does use the centerline...this is a technique issue. In a corporate aircraft, the captain who carries adequate fuel reseves but forgoes taking on a full bag of gas in favor of cheaper fuel down the line, makes a personal, company oriented decision. The first officer who tries to correct the captain there may be making a mistake...only in the case of safety related items, or items which the captain may have forgotten, should the F/O try to correct the captain. The rest of the time, he should respectfully suggest.

One might just as well interchange the terms pilot-flying with pilot-not-flying in some of the cases described above, though the F/O should always remember that he or she is NOT the captain, and that it is NOT a democracy.

Latest resources

Back