[K]now it all captains?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
best captain breifing

You make sure i dont get us killed or violated, and I will make sure you dont get us killed or violated. Sound like a deal. Good, now lets make some money. Thats all I need to hear and I know exactly how to act.

NYCPilot said:
...sometimes flamebait threads can be the most stimulating and exciting to read and reply to.

by the way...where's 410dude, guppykiller these days.....

Some of us old timers remember Jimborealgoodpilot, a lot better than his less than stellar imitators.

I was doing flights in LA earlier this week, in my bug smasher, and the co-pilot was an 11000 hr 747 Captain. good kind to have over there. really helpful. If I ever end up sitting over there, I hope I'm as good at it as he was.

That being said, I've had folks sitting there who were just along for the ride, when I could actually have used some help.

So, if you are along for the ride, be helpful, but don't be a pain, cause you never know if you are sitting on an eject seat. It would be bad to be a pain, and find your self hitching a ride home, from a long ways away.

Opprtunuty

The best part of the day is the opportunity to engage in the sharing of ideas. The heat of battle can sometimes present situations that can leave the communication circle cut short. I personally try to make sure that I voice my concerns and listen and encourage that all concerns are addressed. I truely miss flying airplanes with a flight engineer. The third person helps in the communication circle. Three minds are always better than two.
The one suggestion I have is that an FO needs to make sure that he/she is not pulling a CA out of his/her flow. The organizational flow of the cockpit is what makes it a safe place. Make your suggestions at an appropriate time when there is time to listen and factor in your concerns. Try not to be the first to say the next most obvious step during a flight ( unless you are the PF ) because this can ruin that cockpit flow. Wait for things to become overdue in terms of the next step.
For the big picture items ie: fuel, alternates, mx problems, wx make your concerns known early. If someone makes a statement that they have concerns I listen very carefully to what they are saying and the circle is not complete until they are addressed in some sort of fashion. This does not mean that you have to have a solution when stating your concerns because that may interrupt the initial step of getting them out there, but if you have suggestions about how to resolve your concerns share them in a mature thoughtfull way.
Just last week I picked up a trip and the FO during the briefing stated that having flown the same trip last week he would be more comfortable with some more fuel. The wx was cavu but his experience was that we would be arriving at the dest. when another carrier had a bunch of arrivals at the same time. We added 3,000 pounds and he felt that would be enough. Sure enough we used about 2,000 of those pounds during extended vectoring on that trip. Excellent suggestion made at a time when we could do something about it.
The bottom line is that we are just trying to get from A to B with the folks in the back happy and the opportunity for us to share our common interest. The days events are what make us who we are, so let's see if we can enjoy each others company and climb the hills that make up the days events together.

Peanut gallery said:
Try not to be the first to say the next most obvious step during a flight ( unless you are the PF ) because this can ruin that cockpit flow.
The days events are what make us who we are, so let's see if we can enjoy each others company and climb the hills that make up the days events together.

Wow, I may just have to vote for you in the 'Flight-Info Scholars' thread, PG.
Those are a couple of gems. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back