• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just Shredded The Union Card

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry. That doesn't fit my boot campaign. You seem to be missing the point...:rolleyes: I'm hoping to encourage pilots without a contract to stand tall, dig in their heels, kick up a fuss and give ineffective methods the boot. I'm standing on principle, as I've always done, I'm just choosing to illustrate my points in a fun, but thought-provoking manner. It works like this: 1) the avatar makes gets you to pause and look. 2) the text makes you stop and think. OK Learflyer...two...we're going for two... :p

Always?

It's very simple: a good contract leads to motivated employees who are then more productive. Satisfied pilots are the best form of advertising a frac company can have-- for new clients and new employees. It's no coincidence that most of the pilots wishing to enter the industry are first applying to NJA. They are also leaving other fracs to go to NJ. That all adds up to solid growth.

Gunfyter, Fisch, and Dime....good posts, guys!

Let the new year bring new methods. If the old way isn't working give it the boot....NJW
If that is the case why do some union companies not grow and go out of business?

How does 1108 lead to growth? This is where my experience is and this is the part of your post that I was responding to. Please no flame intented, how does a union lead to growth? My expereince with marginal privately held union airlines is they go out of business. TransAmerican ALPA 1984 , Zantop Tempsters 747, 1997

PY, my answer applied to 1108 specifically, but for an educated guess why others have failed I would suggest it was because of company mismanagement and perhaps market situations beyond a union's control such as cut-throat competition and high fuel prices. When all pilots view their aviation skills as a fixed cost of doing business with a minimum price attached then perhaps they can work together to pull wages up instead of following each other in a downward spiral....:(

It's not right to expect professional pilots to work for unskilled-labor wages while management balances the budget the easy way--on the pilotgroup's back....:mad: In every out of business airline the pilots had to fly as if lives depended on them. How much effort did management put forth? Did they weigh each decision as carefully as the pilots did? I bet not.

At some companies the BS is so deep that the pilots should be issued uniform boots....NJW

Unemployment before servitude

PY, my answer applied to 1108 specifically, but for an educated guess why others have failed I would suggest it was because of company mismanagement and perhaps market situations beyond a union's control such as cut-throat competition and high fuel prices. When all pilots view their aviation skills as a fixed cost of doing business with a minimum price attached then perhaps they can work together to pull wages up instead of following each other in a downward spiral....:(

It's not right to expect professional pilots to work for unskilled-labor wages while management balances the budget the easy way--on the pilotgroup's back....:mad: In every out of business airline the pilots had to fly as if lives depended on them. How much effort did management put forth? Did they weigh each decision as carefully as the pilots did? I bet not.

At some companies the BS is so deep that the pilots should be issued uniform boots....NJW
Unemployment before servitude, it that the mantra of union organization. I prefer servitude while looking for my next job. I know nothing of CS’s balance sheet, they might be able to match NJ, and they might not. But it would be great for NJ if they folded after an organizing drive. I suppose that would be good for few CS pilots who could then get hired by NJ. As far as anti-union again you have misread me, I am a union realist. I am ex-union ALPA and Teamsters, both companies Transamerica and Zantop out of business. I have seen what unions can do and what they can not do. Unions are why we have many of he working rules at union and non-union airlines. At profitable companies, NJ and UPS, FedEx unions can ensure that management shares with its employees. At marginal companies unions can not make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear. Whenever I see the, militant union talk on this board I go back to my union companies that went out of business and inject a note caution. BTW I know not being 100% pro union on this site is the equivalent of being the anti-Christ.

so unions don't really effect growth?

For the same reasons non-union companies don't grow and go out of business: bad business plan, bad management, bad economics.
Both union and non-union companies both grow and go out of busines? Is that what I read?

Unemployment before servitude, it that the mantra of union organization. I prefer servitude while looking for my next job. I know nothing of CS’s balance sheet, they might be able to match NJ, and they might not. But it would be great for NJ if they folded after an organizing drive. I suppose that would be good for few CS pilots who could then get hired by NJ. As far as anti-union again you have misread me, I am a union realist. I am ex-union ALPA and Teamsters, both companies Transamerica and Zantop out of business. I have seen what unions can do and what they can not do. Unions are why we have many of he working rules at union and non-union airlines. At profitable companies, NJ and UPS, FedEx unions can ensure that management shares with its employees. At marginal companies unions can not make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear. Whenever I see the, militant union talk on this board I go back to my union companies that went out of business and inject a note caution. BTW I know not being 100% pro union on this site is the equivalent of being the anti-Christ.

What he said.

Oh, and just because the company is profitable doesn't mean that a union can't drag it down or suck it dry and into bankruptcy.

I agree with the note of caution. Like I've always said, "Be careful what you ask for."

www.unionfacts.com

What he said.

Oh, and just because the company is profitable doesn't mean that a union can't drag it down or suck it dry and into bankruptcy.

I agree with the note of caution. Like I've always said, "Be careful what you ask for."

www.unionfacts.comhttp://www.unionfacts.com

It's okay to be a non-union guy, it is not okay to be an uninformed boob. You could be better recieved if you responded directly to questions posted to you instead of having one sided conversations. When you do respend it is so generic and cryptic it doesn't say anything. How about taking a firm stand and answer some questions?

As I stated before, unions don't drag companies down. Piss poor management does. The PIC has the ultimate authority for the safe outcome of the flight, just like management is responsible for the success of the company.

Latest resources

Back