Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

For those who don't understand...

Dubai is in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). It is THE party spot in the Middle East. If wealthy people from Saudi, or Kuwait, etc., want hookers, horse racing, shopping, beachgoing, drinking, partying, etc., they go to Dubai. There are European cabin crew who routinely jumpseat to Dubai just to party.

Unsafe? It is safer than a typical American city, overall.

Who lives there? The #1 ethnic group is the British. Yes, that is correct. The British have "re-conquered" UAE, and there are more British in Dubai than Emirates citizens.

Is it perfet? By no means.
Is it Saudi Arabia? By no means.

The Emirate of Dubai is very smart. He realized years ago that the oil will cease to be a major money-maker for UAE, and he wants to keep making money.

He decided to make Dubai THE gateway for trade between Europe and Asia. He decided to build Emirates in the largest long-haul airline in the world. They operate 115 aircraft, and are plannin to buy AT LEAST 125. They will soon be the largest widebody fleet in the world.

To make Dubai into THE international trading port, they need to modernize it, both physically and culturally. Emirates now hires female pilots, and even has at least one femal Emirate citizen as a pilot.

The are bringing in foreigners from ALL OVER to work there, including doctors, lawyers, accountants, architects, engineers, etc., etc.

If you are pissed you are loosing you job to an Indian, go to Dubai and get a better one than you have in the states.

It isn't perfet, but it is very good. And, obviously, it is not America, so make sure it will work for you.

cliff
GRB
PS-If you really like Chick-fil-A, don't go to Dubai, because chances are you will hate it.

Good post ATP, I feel like many here are un educated when it comes to the rest of the world, as is evident by many of their post calling Dubai unsafe, I would feel much safer walking around Dubai at night then New York or Chicago. And it really is a huge party spot.

I am going to live my life vicariously through your post on FI while you are in the desert... LOL.. I still think you are crazy, but hope you have fun and enjoy it!

And yes I thought that might be your picture

Gotta take the bad with the good.

There is Something to be said for $205/year starting pay... but money isn't everything. I'd be most worried about 4 things Human Rights, Aircraft Maint., Crew Language Barriers, & Corp. Culture.

Why is Dubai so safe? I hear this from everyone that has been there and I don't understand. Did they pay off all the terrorists or do they just not bomb in their own backyard?

Just curious since they are surrounded by the "crazies"

Why is Dubai so safe? I hear this from everyone that has been there and I don't understand. Did they pay off all the terrorists or do they just not bomb in their own backyard?

Just curious since they are surrounded by the "crazies"

Think about it - with Dubai's huge push for tourism, it would have to be relatively safe compared to its neighbors. Otherwise, tourism would die off and those huge investments would never pay for themselves. Clearly the Emirate spends a lot of money (probably bribes) on security and keeping tourists safe.

There is Something to be said for $205/year starting pay... but money isn't everything. I'd be most worried about 4 things Human Rights, Aircraft Maint., Crew Language Barriers, & Corp. Culture.
Human right, they are the same as we have here. Aircraft MX seems to be on par with anything we have over here, and heavy MX checks are done in the states. Language, almost all of the crews are Americans, a few Brits, and Aussies. Corp culture, somewhat unknown to me.

To answer some questions, I am 26. In talking to my friend who has just gotten back after his last six weeks in Dubai had his trips take him to Paris, London, Moscow, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Morocco, Rome, Riyadh, and a few other nights that I cant remember, most of his trips allowed him two or three nights in each place, he said that the only place that he went where he did not feel 100% safe was Riyadh, but he stayed at an American hotel, with lots and lots of security there. His pay for the six weeks comes out to 18,750, he will be soon getting his per diem check of about 4,000 he also picked up 4,800 in tips. He is now in the process of looking to buy a home and pay cash. During his four weeks that he is home he will get his monthly pay of 12,500 dollars, while home of course he will not be receiving his 100 dollar a day per-diem.
I will be starting with this company as Captain on the CL-64, I will be paired for the first six months with one of their senior captains. Almost all of their pilots are Americans, quite a few from the regionals, and as it turns out two guys are former NJA guys.
Many of you have asked about being imprisoned in these other countries for no good reason. I guess that is a risk that we all must take while flying internationally, look at the Legacy crew who had the mid-air over Brazil.
Did I make the right choice? Only time will tell, I do think that those of you who are convinced that I made a huge mistake should give it time, I will keep you all updated as to my progression over there and let you all know what it is like. I do know that things in the US aviation market are changing, NJA is a very popular place right now for the wealthy, however if the economy and the price of fuel continue their trend even the wealthy may not be so frugal with their money, and may get back on the airlines. And where do you think that all of the money is going that we are spending on fuel? Thats right, its all going to the middle east, the economy is booming, and there is plenty of money to go around, everyone out there is buying corporate jets, and fractional ownerships, today I heard of a start up fractional company based out of Abu Dhabi.

Stop justifying yourself. You made a good decision. NJA is a great place to work (now), but it is the flavor of the week, just like all the others were pre 9/11. Enjoy!

Latest resources

Back