• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseating with a beard?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The flights aren't looking great and I can't afford to travel positive space so I'm shaving. The next time I have a beard will likely be a few weeks after my 60th birthday... unless I break a leg snow boarding this weekend.:eek:

If you were an American Airlines FA or Gate agent(yea i know they cant non-rev on other airlines, but see where im going with this) and you were trying to non-rev on us. I would make you wait outside in the jet-way unil the passengers boarded, then as the jet-way pulls back from te plane and we push...I can wave out the window at ya.

If you were an American Airlines FA or Gate agent(yea i know they cant non-rev on other airlines, but see where im going with this) and you were trying to non-rev on us. I would make you wait outside in the jet-way unil the passengers boarded, then as the jet-way pulls back from te plane and we push...I can wave out the window at ya.
not surprising coming from a mesa whore...

Actually, I've non-revved a few times as a cabin jumpseater with a mustache-goatee thing, back when I was flying cargo. I made sure it looked tidy and never had a problem. I can't speak for riding up front though. Granted I kept a razor in my carry-on in the case it had to go. I think the worst thing that was asked of me was, "your company allows more than a mustache?"

It all started in October of 1978 (incidentally before many on this forum were even born)...when de-reg opened the world of air travel to the "unwashed masses"...when I was a kid airplane trips meant dressing up and not even thinking about being rude or disrespectful to a crew member or CSA...now look at it...matching luggage means 2 plastic WalMart sacks...ever walked to the back of the plane looking for a paper and find a complete set of finger/toenails on the floor? What the hell is the matter with people?

The airline industry, like most evolving industries, had to expand its market beyond the well dressed customer base.

I would let you on. The idiots that would say no, have lost sight of the big picture of what professionalism really means.

So what does it mean to be professional? can you quantify it?

So what does it mean to be professional? can you quantify it?

pro·fes·sion·al·ism
1.professional character, spirit, or methods.
2.the standing, practice, or methods of a professional, as distinguished from an amateur.

Professionalism is quantified by how we do our job, interact with each other, and treat our customers. It has nothing to do with facial hair. Other "professionals" wear facial hair and it is not an issue (I understand they don't wear O2 masks either). If someone grows a beard on vacation it shows that they like beards, not that they are unprofessional. They can look just as nice as the next person if said beard wearer is groomed and dressed nicely. This is not an issue of acting like professionals, it is a safety issue with the oxygen mask, that is all.

Latest resources

Back