Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DrewBlows

Go Tigers!
I need to travel this weekend and since there is always a possibility I may have to ride in the jumpseat I need to know if you guys would kick me off for having a beard.

I've been off for a few weeks and since it's winter and I live in Michigan decided I should take the opportunity to grow a beard. I still have a few weeks before I have to go back to work and don't really want to shave if I don't have to. So, would you kick me off the airplane for having a beard? Does your company prohibit jumpseaters from having a beard?

Do you look like towel head? oops was that an incorrect statement?

Yeah, I would hate doing it but our guidelines require a certain dress and appearance if your going to occupy a jumpseat. That appearance standard is the same as it is for any other crew member because that is what you are at that point. So you would have to be neatly shavin. Of course it's not just for looks but also so the oxygen mask will fit tightly on your face if need be. And no, goatees aren't technically approved either. Though if you showed up with one and a convincing and compelling enough story for why you have to get to where your going so bad not thinking you'd be forced into a jumpseat then I might be more likely to maybe, maybe turn a blind eye to it, if you work for an airline I'm trying to get on with or have food for me. Make it a good story involving a sick or dieing loved one and last chance for goodbyes. That'll do it. Then you'll be good to go. But I do like chocolate and it does go a long way in my heart. Straight through my aorta and firmly lodged in the vessels of my paracardium according to my doctor. Easiest way to enjoy smooth sailing though is surely to be clean shavin. Good luck.

Is it that difficult and time consuming to look and act like a professional?

If an O2 mask can't make a seal on your face you may not be qualified to ride on the cockpit jumpseat, which rules out a beard. Depends on what the GOM says for the airline you're flying, of course.

What about this... had a mesa jumpseater (I'm not kidding) a few weeks ago, he had to ride up front. It was night time and he was in uniform. He was a relatively new hire.

The flight complete, he's getting up to get off, open the door, etc.. and I see for the first time... HIS BIG BLING DIAMOND EARRING. Don't know how I missed it. I **** you not I was so dumbfounded I was speechless.

I let him go without saying a word.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back