• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseating with a beard?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had a GOJET tool jump on my flight one day. I was late to the plane due to a late connection. I was told about him by the FO who said he checked his credentials. Since we were late, we push and start to taxi. As we taxi we get informed that our flow time is now 2 hours later. Ok, back to the gate and the toads off the plane. As we are reboarding I am standing at the gate and a pilot looking dude comes up in sweat pants and a t shirt. I ask him if he is our jumpseater. he says yes and introduces himself. I ask him if he often jumps in seats. he says he is allowed to on his plane. I made him change and told the gate agent if he didnt make it back in time that he didnt get to go. Turns out he was in his uni and changed while we were waiting out our delay. tool!

Nice try at what? :rolleyes:

First off, my post was NOT in response or to counter (as you say) to anything you wrote. You'd see me quote ya if it was. Perhaps becasue it was posted right after yours your insecurity got the best of ya. My "extreme end" as you call it, was an attempt at being facetious to make a point. I think you blow a lot of hot air around here and are predisposed to jump on people to get your fight on. You seem to be a very cantankerous individual.

I think the appropriateness of trying to make your point was poorly timed...

In other words, the best response you have is to sandbag...

Again, I never said you were talking about office culture - but I was, in order to show that there is a TREND in our society that is leaning towards less formal wear in other occupations. I'm well aware of the FOM beard ban and had NOT referenced it. You are so wrapped up in challenging people that you don't bother to take a moment to even understand someones post, let alone determine if it was directed at you. If you got you head out of your orifice maybe you'd have more cognition.

Again... what does cubical culture have to do with flying jets... sandbagger...

And I AM addressing the passenger dress code issue - I don't care if it wasn't your point as I was not even responding to you. My response was intended for a post mentioning the lost glory days of well-heeled travelers. Hmmm.. makes sense now, huh Rez?

No it doesn't

See above. I respect the jumpseat and my post had ZERO to do with JSing.

If the thread is about jumpseating then why are you posting about not jumpseating?

I subscribe to the traditional attire as well. Which means I dislike the variance in uniform color. Nothing personal to JB or who ever else has more progressive uniforms. Call me old fashioned. You see, my thoughts actually fall in line with yours. :erm:

How 'bout that..

By the way, judging from your posts, you take yourself WAY too seriously. It's actually very humourous. You need to go find a girl to keep you occupied or take the 5 sisters out more often.

wow... a free psycho socio work up on FI... how about you stick the to the issue.... it about all one can really do on a message board...

Rah Rah Rah!!!!

You are the company yes man, no?

nah...

You know, I'm begining to figure you out. You are a very rigid thinker who probably comforms to high kingdom come and has no individual thoughts.

man.... you can see past those ones and zeros better than anyone...

Speak for yourself.

That is all I can do and all I intend to do....

pro·fes·sion·al·ism
1.professional character, spirit, or methods.
2.the standing, practice, or methods of a professional, as distinguished from an amateur.

Professionalism is quantified by how we do our job, interact with each other, and treat our customers. It has nothing to do with facial hair. Other "professionals" wear facial hair and it is not an issue (I understand they don't wear O2 masks either). If someone grows a beard on vacation it shows that they like beards, not that they are unprofessional. They can look just as nice as the next person if said beard wearer is groomed and dressed nicely. This is not an issue of acting like professionals, it is a safety issue with the oxygen mask, that is all.

what did you wear to your interview and why?

so you'd let someone on the jumpseat that showed up in a ripped shirt, cut-off shorts, sandals and hasnt bathed in a week? it should be ok if they do their job, interact with others and treat customers well, no?

:)

what did you wear to your interview and why?

so you'd let someone on the jumpseat that showed up in a ripped shirt, cut-off shorts, sandals and hasnt bathed in a week? it should be ok if they do their job, interact with others and treat customers well, no?

:)

No I wouldn't let them on. You missed my point, and part of my post. The reason we are not allowed a beard is not because it looks bad, it is because of the O2. If someone is on vacation, dressed and bathed appropriately, and has a beard, the O2 would be my concern, not the persons professionalism.

Dispatchers and mechanics can where beards and do not have to shave to sit on the jump seat. As far as pilots I think they have to be in uniform or business casual and not have a beard at our airline. You can look like this and sit on my jump seat.

No I wouldn't let them on. You missed my point, and part of my post. The reason we are not allowed a beard is not because it looks bad, it is because of the O2.

What does the grooming standards of your FOM state?

If someone is on vacation, dressed and bathed appropriately, and has a beard, the O2 would be my concern, not the persons professionalism.

yet disregarding the rules questions professionalism....

Dispatchers and mechanics can where beards and do not have to shave to sit on the jump seat.

Not on my jumpseat. While at the same time, I am sure the company would throw image right out the window and put a greasy dirty smelly mechanic on the jumpseat if they needed him to fix a jet somewhere....

As far as pilots I think they have to be in uniform or business casual and not have a beard at our airline. You can look like this and sit on my jump seat.

I bet Courtney Love would ride on your jumpseat too...

Dispatchers and mechanics can where beards and do not have to shave to sit on the jump seat. As far as pilots I think they have to be in uniform or business casual and not have a beard at our airline. You can look like this and sit on my jump seat.

As a bit of Rock 'n' Roll trivia, ZZ Top wrote a letter to NASA in 1980, formally requesting to be the lounge act on the Space shuttle. You just got to admire that.

Latest resources

Back