Jumpseating might be back soon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

I got an email from my union today saying that jumpseating might be back late 2002 to early 2003. Of course, I'll believe it when I see it. Even if it comes true, it shouldn't have taken a year and a half.

Has anyone heard anything else?

HEy interesting post!

I would like to know what's the policy for jumpseatting in U.S. since I'm planning to go to LAX but my company ALITALIA flight everywhere but california! can I ask to DL or UA to give me a ride from JFK or they will refuse me?

THANK IN ADVANCE

Pre 9/11 the FAA General Counsel came out with an interpretation of 121.547 which prohibited FAR 129 crew members to ride in the cockpit jumpseat, since FAR 129 operators (Foreign Air Carriers) are not "certificate holders" under the definition of FAR 1. Therefore, their crewmembers (even if they hold a US certificate, and are US citizens) are not authorized access to the cockpit jumpseat.

Post 9/11, my guess is extremely doubtful - since I doubt AZ would permit us to reciprocate and allow us to ride them - even in the cabin on a jumpseat pass. HP will permit AC guys to ride in the back (but I havent tried to ride AC so I dont know if its a 2-way street), and we'll permit crewmembers of a couple of other foreign airlines (China Airlines cargo - but only if theyre operating in the US - since arent they actually wetleasing a US registered aircraft with a US crew) - cabin seat required.

If you want to get to CALI, your best bet is to buy an ID90 ticket (or maybe a ZED ticket) on someone, or however your pass travel is setup with some carriers here domestically - but be advised, our flights have been very full, at least at my airline.

azdriver said:
HEy interesting post!

I would like to know what's the policy for jumpseatting in U.S. since I'm planning to go to LAX but my company ALITALIA flight everywhere but california! can I ask to DL or UA to give me a ride from JFK or they will refuse me?

THANK IN ADVANCE

Before "asking to DL or UA," go "ask to" your own jumpseat committee chairman - he'll have answers to all your "jumpseatting" questions. Otherwise, you appear to have different objectives.

dispatchguy said:
Pre 9/11 the FAA General Counsel came out with an interpretation of 121.547 which prohibited FAR 129 crew members to ride in the cockpit jumpseat, since FAR 129 operators (Foreign Air Carriers) are not "certificate holders" under the definition of FAR 1. Therefore, their crewmembers (even if they hold a US certificate, and are US citizens) are not authorized access to the cockpit jumpseat.

Post 9/11, my guess is extremely doubtful - since I doubt AZ would permit us to reciprocate and allow us to ride them - even in the cabin on a jumpseat pass. HP will permit AC guys to ride in the back (but I havent tried to ride AC so I dont know if its a 2-way street), and we'll permit crewmembers of a couple of other foreign airlines (China Airlines cargo - but only if theyre operating in the US - since arent they actually wetleasing a US registered aircraft with a US crew) - cabin seat required.

If you want to get to CALI, your best bet is to buy an ID90 ticket (or maybe a ZED ticket) on someone, or however your pass travel is setup with some carriers here domestically - but be advised, our flights have been very full, at least at my airline.

Why someone would so open so as to discuss what our FAR’s jumpseat interpretations are or aren’t is beyond me. If his intentions are well-meant, he should know better than asking these questions on a public forum. If he doesn’t know by now who he can or can’t jumpseat on or what his non-rev options are, he shouldn’t be allowed to do either one. Just give him a “get smart” wink and move along.

Isn't Alitalia still on the AFL-CIO boycott list? Regardless, I don't think any 121 US airline is gonna take a foreign airline pilot.

crosscut said:
Why someone would so open so as to discuss what our FAR’s jumpseat interpretations are or aren’t is beyond me. If his intentions are well-meant, he should know better than asking these questions on a public forum. If he doesn’t know by now who he can or can’t jumpseat on or what his non-rev options are, he shouldn’t be allowed to do either one. Just give him a “get smart” wink and move along.
crosscut said:
Before "asking to DL or UA," go "ask to" your own jumpseat committee chairman - he'll have answers to all your "jumpseatting" questions. Otherwise, you appear to have different objectives.

the doubts are increasing more and more!!!

-well I can't get Id90 or ZED before six month that's AZ policy for new hires

-we do not have a jump seat coordinator: here in europe the common policy is to ask to the captains and it's up to them. No regs or company policy at least in Italy and Spain as far as I know

- dear crosscut thanks to remind us all the security issue behind the jumpseatting policy and interpretation but I'm afraid these issue are of pubblic domain since you can buy FARs look on the internet and get much more information travelling around airports.... But I will "get smart" and don't talk about this on a pubblic forum anymore. Even because there is no needs to let people that does not know the reason behind a question judge them.

thanks to everybody else

Talk to the captain. Any airline that has U.S. reciprocal rights with the D.O.T. qualifies for the jumpseat. At worse it would have to be approved via dispatch office, Post 911. Good Luck. Since you fly for a flag international carrier it shouldn't be a problem.

azdriver said:
the doubts are increasing more and more!!!

-well I can't get Id90 or ZED before six month that's AZ policy for new hires

-we do not have a jump seat coordinator: here in europe the common policy is to ask to the captains and it's up to them. No regs or company policy at least in Italy and Spain as far as I know

- dear crosscut thanks to remind us all the security issue behind the jumpseatting policy and interpretation but I'm afraid these issue are of pubblic domain since you can buy FARs look on the internet and get much more information travelling around airports.... But I will "get smart" and don't talk about this on a pubblic forum anymore. Even because there is no needs to let people that does not know the reason behind a question judge them.

thanks to everybody else

If u thinks that jumpseatting is pubblic domain, I says again, “get smart.” I didn’t say FARs weren’t public domain – that was your own assumption/interpretation/translation (?) Soliciting for and “getting much more information traveling around airports” – I would say you are few attempts from finding out what the inside of the jail looks like, fellow-pilot. This information should not be discussed publicly as it is privy to only those involved. There are venues for pilots to gather jumpseat-related information – this forum is not one of them.

“The doubts are increasing more and more!!!” – That’s just what Captain Mohammed Atta and his subordinates would have said. You are correct – I should, probably, let my guard down. Thanks for the advice.

“Even because there is no needs to let people that does not know the reason behind a question judge them.”
Uh-ha…, yeah…, what you said.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back