Jumpseating might be back soon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TurboS7 said:
At worse it would have to be approved via dispatch office, Post 911. Good Luck. Since you fly for a flag international carrier it shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, thats the problem - theyre not a 121 carrier, but an FAR 129 carrier. Like the interpretation said (which is a public domain item), FAR 129 carriers aren't a "certificate holder" within the intent of FAR 121.547

As a dispatcher, if a Captain called me on a dial-up and asked for a clarification if a pilot from Alitalia, Lufthansa, Swiss, BA (even a Concorde driver), or any other Foreign Flag carrier if he could ride on a jumpseat authorization in the cabin (since he sure as heck isnt riding up front), I would say no - since he isnt legal under the recent (a few years ago anyway) interpretation of 121.547. He has to ride as a non-rev. Yeah, my airline has a nicely liberal cabin-riding J/S policy, but it's limited to 121/135 carriers.

I mean, in fairness, would they reciprocate? Sure, they may allow you to ride in the flight deck jumpseat (I rode an AF jumpseat CDG-ORD back in 1999), but you got on the plane with a regular revenue or non-rev ticket. On my AF flight, I had a regular passenger ticket/boarding pass for the flight - I introduced myself to the captain and asked if I could ride up front and watch - I showed him my DX license and he said Oui!

This isn't any big secret. The fact is pilots jumpseat and foreign carrier airline pilots can't jumpseat on a us carrier.

How about 135 pilots??

I work for a Part 135 Charter company. Wil the jumpseats or even a seat in the cabin ever open up to us? Or is it already open and we dont know it? I am always at the GA side of the airport and dont see you guys in the airlines much.

Thanks

Hey crosscut

You're being a little too anal (can I say anal on a public forum? ooops) sorry webmaster !!

What's so wrong about gathering J/S info. from other flightcrews who are "in the know"??

Sometimes I might want to catch a ride on an airline that do not reciprocate and there might be crews from that company reading on this forum that can give me a better response, that way I can plan ahead and won't be stranded.

Even when the guy has gotten the info that you feel is soooooo secretive, he still needs to have the proper credentials before the captain would let him on the plane..what's so wrong with asking that on a public forum??

Re: Hey crosscut

Originally posted by Two-9-9-TwoSet
You're being a little too anal (can I say anal on a public forum? ooops) sorry webmaster !!

What's so wrong about gathering J/S info. from other flightcrews who are "in the know"??

Sometimes I might want to catch a ride on an airline that do not reciprocate and there might be crews from that company reading on this forum that can give me a better response, that way I can plan ahead and won't be stranded.

Even when the guy has gotten the info that you feel is soooooo secretive, he still needs to have the proper credentials before the captain would let him on the plane..what's so wrong with asking that on a public forum??

Originally posted by Two-9-9-TwoSet on another forum
once upon a time...
I had trouble with a SWA agent once refusing me the jumpseat...I asked (very politely of course)if I could speak with the captain, a few minutes later, the SWA captain emerges from the jetway..came over and CHEWED ME OUT in front of all the passengers about how "you better watch what you say to the agents"...did I mention I was extremely polite to her??

She was just pissed that I tried to get the captain involved, I was new at it..and friends have always told me to always ask for the captain so I did...well, I learned a harsh lesson.

He refused the jumpseat and told me to "buy a ticket son"..

never gonna forget it....Little Rock, AR...

OAK based capt with a strong southern accent.

I'm probably gonna get slammed by some SWA groupie, but what the hell, it's a true story.

2992set

Well.., I guess.. I’m not the only anal one, huh?

The reason you, probably, were refused a jumpseat was because your employer doesn’t have a reciprocal agreement w/SWA and the reason you asked to see the Capt, thereby clearly undermining the agent’s authority in the presence of pax (when he/she was in the right), is because you’ve been reading too many jumpseat posts on the Internet. Hence my theory: people reading the Jumpseat info posts who have no legal right to jumpseat will, nevertheless, attempt to jumpseat because they are acting out based on they’ve been reading.

Here we go again: If your employer reciprocates with an airline, go see your superior (if no jumpseat committee) for all your jumpseat info/etiquette questions so that you, “son,” won’t be asked to buy a ticket.

This information should not be discussed publicly as it is privy to only those involved.

You guys and your egos just blow me away. Aviation does exist outside of the U.S. and it runs quite nicely I might add.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back