Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Counselair

"He said member..."
I am well aware that over the years there have been occassions where company jumpseaters have been asked to aide in the cockpit during major and minor emergencies.

Anybody know any stories where non-company jumpseaters had to step up to the plate wether it be working the radios, lending ideas or hopping into the seat?

Counselair

In about 1996 I was on another airline jumpseat going into OKC on a visual approach to the south. About 15 miles out I told the Captain we were lined up on a straight-in to Wiley Post Airport. He jogged a little to the left and we landed at Will Rogers with no worries.

I seem to recall an AA Captain died going into Newark awhile back. I had heard there was another airline pilot from another carrier that assisted.

This is another reason my policy was to always have jumpseaters sit in available first class seats to be close to the pit. Nowadays with security it is even more of a necessaty

JP4user said:
I seem to recall an AA Captain died going into Newark awhile back. I had heard there was another airline pilot from another carrier that assisted.

This is another reason my policy was to always have jumpseaters sit in available first class seats to be close to the pit. Nowadays with security it is even more of a necessaty

yeah that'll happen!!!!!!!! First class has been a long gone dream!

Offline pilot jumpseating on brand X. Captain goes back to use the restroom. During that time the autothrottles rollback. Airspeed starts to decay. After about 10 knots the jumpseater says something about it to the FO. "I don't know what it's doing but the captain will be right back." After another 10 knots the jumpseater asked if she was going to do anything about it. Same answer. A few knots above a high altitude stall he challenged once more then reached up and pushed the throttles up at the exact moment the captain walks into the cockpit. (pre 9/11) When the jumpseater explained what was happening the captain said thanks and shrugged his shoulders.

Gup

Sure... this jumpseater proudly and courageously aided a group of lovely SWA flight attendants pass peanuts, collect trash, pour sodas thanks to a really fat sweaty ATC lady with a super sexy voice in the 2nd jumpseat (pre-9/11).

Moral of the story?

1) Never pass up an opportunity to help out a group of young, flirty flight attendants.

2) ALWAYS keep the fantasy of a sexy-voiced female controller alive by not ever seeing her in person.

Counselair said:
I am well aware that over the years there have been occassions where company jumpseaters have been asked to aide in the cockpit during major and minor emergencies.

Anybody know any stories where non-company jumpseaters had to step up to the plate wether it be working the radios, lending ideas or hopping into the seat?

Counselair

Not major, but I was once in a 757 j/s when ATC was unable to keep the feces away from the fans due to weather. They started spinning airplanes left and right, saying hold "as published" at fixes not in their flight plans. Quite a mess. Captain (old-fashioned type) handed me a chart and said "Find that fix!" Blind dumb luck: when I reached down my thumb was right on the fix, so I read them the radial and turn direction, and we entered the hold.

The FMS probably could have done it but, like I said, the captain was an old-fashioned type and wanted it confirmed from the paper chart.

A few years back, I was flying with an annoying Captain. After an hour of baloney, I turned to the jumpseater and said "I'm exercising my FO emergency idiot-captain authority. Please beat the Captain senseless without disturbing the yoke. He's senior to me. I'll buy you a beer in Hartford." He smacked the CA around until he cried like a girl. It was great.

In all seriousness, I think the best use today for off-line JS guys is as cabin-meat. Hopefully big, strong bodies who can fight and defeat terrorists while we crash-dive towards the nearest airport. In the same vein, if there's a CP breach and one or both guys are dead or hurt, he can step up and save everyone's life once the cabin is secure again.

Pre 9/11...riding on Brand X, when first class pax get uppity, pushing lead F/A in chest...me, in uniform, reaches into my crew bag and pulls out my mag lite and asks "Is there a problem I can help with, sir?"

He sat down pronto and muttered the entire flight. (ussy. I needed an interview story.

The TW MD80 that hit the twin Cessna in STL was seen by the Jumpseater seconds before impact. He called it out and probably saved the ship.

I don't remember the carrier, this happened about two years ago. F/O passes out, an Air Force pilot in uniform sitting in coach is asked to come up front and work the radios. I know the guy, Air Force Test pilot from Edwards.
We teased him about trying to get around the usual ways to get hired by the airlines.
I don't know what happened to the F/O, other than he had an epileptic seizure.

Latest resources

Back