Jumpseaters to the rescue...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AceCrackshot said:
The TW MD80 that hit the twin Cessna in STL was seen by the Jumpseater seconds before impact. He called it out and probably saved the ship.
I think what he meant to say was: "The jumpseater on the TWA MD-80 saw the Twin Cessna that had inadvertantly taxied on to their runway. He called it out and probably saved the ship."

Ok...this story sounds real familiar...from a student of mine at a freight hauler. Guppy...do I know you?

- Checknsix

GuppyWN said:
Offline pilot jumpseating on brand X. Captain goes back to use the restroom. During that time the autothrottles rollback. Airspeed starts to decay. After about 10 knots the jumpseater says something about it to the FO. "I don't know what it's doing but the captain will be right back." After another 10 knots the jumpseater asked if she was going to do anything about it. Same answer. A few knots above a high altitude stall he challenged once more then reached up and pushed the throttles up at the exact moment the captain walks into the cockpit. (pre 9/11) When the jumpseater explained what was happening the captain said thanks and shrugged his shoulders.

Gup

This one time I got on a DAL jumpseat for a Transcon from NY to LAX.

It came on all of a sudden!

CA looked at the FO as we climbed out of FL200. He said, "man I forgot the USA TODAY!!!" FO calmly explained that he had grabbed one. But it wouldn't be so...left on the hotel van! The silents of a honor about to fall came over the cockpit (flight-deck for those sensitive types).

The looks of two men that might have to endure a 5 hour flight without football stats, stock info, who Jen's dating, etc. fell upon me. My stomach turned and me fingers tingled with the knowlegde that this was my chance, the chance that every pilot waits for. The chance to save the day and bring that airliner home safely. My breath shallowed as I reached into the flightcase.... time seemed to stand still as those eyes of men longing for printed word fell upon me.

In an instance the cockpit burst into a sigh of relief. The USA TODAY (I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night) burst from my bag as if an Angel flying home.

The best part was yet to come. From that magic case of flight, out came the Maxim, Stuff, Sailing, Road-n-Track and Guns & Ammo!

The CA brushed his sligthy gray hair back with the palm of his hand and simply gave the look. That look that say's without words, "son you've done good and made us proud." I still think I might have seen a slight tear in that mans eye that day.

*True story, Dest and (in flightinfo fashion)Drama added by me, to make me look good.

Sailpilot,

That is not exactly the type of story I was looking for but I'm LMAO :D !!! A good man like you is welcome on my jumpseat any day. True heroism son!

Counselair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCrackshot
The TW MD80 that hit the twin Cessna in STL was seen by the Jumpseater seconds before impact. He called it out and probably saved the ship.

I think what he meant to say was: "The jumpseater on the TWA MD-80 saw the Twin Cessna that had inadvertantly taxied on to their runway. He called it out and probably saved the ship."

My head is both bloody and bowed.

Freight Dog said:
2) ALWAYS keep the fantasy of a sexy-voiced female controller alive by not ever seeing her in person.

Not so fast....just a few days after Hurrican Andrew, I carried a Miami center controller in the j/s. She was steaming hot, mini skirt, great legs.....

Tejas

Tejas-Jet said:
Not so fast....just a few days after Hurrican Andrew, I carried a Miami center controller in the j/s. She was steaming hot, mini skirt, great legs.....

Tejas

Were you cleared for an approach?

Tejas-Jet said:

Tejas

I had the same chick wearing the same dress on the jumpseat once....GOD that was good....

..as you know, the foot-pads on the MadDog might as well be sturrups. It was the CPT's leg. I was doing the PA's.

I think I did enough PA's for then entire 4-day.

When I was a 727 FE the FO had a kidney stone event at cruise. I thought I'd get my first chance to fly and airliner! NOT! There was a non-reving 72 FO on vacation that hadn't yet had a drink, so he came up in civvies and helped out the Captain. Got an attaboy from the Flight Office and and extra 5 hours of pay. He is younger and senior to me too!

If I were a non-reving FO on vacation I'd be drunk by the end of sterile so no chance for me to be a hero...

Unit
Baileys and Coffee rocks

Latest resources

Back