• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat Denied

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Imagine the world of hurt NWA would be in if suddenly none of their pilots could commute to work.

A few months back while showing my license to a NWA Captain and trying to get his autograph, his FO asked "is Southwest on our list?". When I looked at him (FO) he then asked "are you ALPA?" - "I said NO, is that a problem?"

So since then any NWA guy I see on our jumpseat, I ask them "are you SWAPA?" - most have no idea what I'm talking about.

SWAFO

I raise the BS flag on your JS tale. I doubt that there is a single FO at NWA that "A few months back" didn't know that SWA wasn't ALPA. I really don't believe your story. Save it pal!!

I again have to say that I am sorry that this happened. I agree with NUGuy that there is a lot of sh!t being served on our plate at NWA. Still, that's not how OAL JSters should be treated. I've been at NWA for a long time and have yet to see a JS request denied. I hope I never do, unless the guy/gal is a total dumbass.

I know first hand what happened. IB is not a scab. IB was not denied the JS because he did not have a ALPA card, he has a ALPA card (why that matters?), he is a furloughed UAL guy, so he got on the disputed flight. The person denied was another JB guy that was also trying to get home to MSP on that same flight. He did not have a ALPA card and the Captian in his judgement thought he was not worthy. It seems like it is the 757 guys at NWA making all the calls about who is bringing the industry down. I have a ALPA card and work for Sun Country, am I not worthy too? What about the American Pilots, they don't have ALPA cards. Also, does this Captain at NWA realize that JB pilots are trying to bring ALPA onto the property? Get informed before you deny guys a ride home. You wouldn't want this sh!t happening to you.

Last edited:
The bottom line is every outfit has a few pricks. This guy got denied but was smart enough to have a plan B. That's the best defense.

The captain that was the prick, for whatever reason, will be ratted out soon enough, and in the end, he'll get his as his name will be on a list.

Nothing to loose sleep over.

For the record, I have been #2 in line for the AirTran jumpseat numerous times and have never been charged the $25. AirTran and jetBlue are hands-down the most hassle free jumpseat experiences in the industry.

"Captain's Discretion" doesn't mean "license to be a complete a-hole" . . . at least, not where I come from. It should be reserved for extreme cases, and simply working for a non-ALPA carrier doesn't pass the sniff test. . . . . hell, ALPA doesn't pass the sniff test.

Very rude by that NWA Capt. . We should have a list of pilots that do not allow fellow aviators to jumpseat.

Marty

You can't blame it all on Jetblue. Prior to 9/11 the airline industry was already in a decline. A failed merger between UAL and USAir, AMR lost $500 million in the 2nd quarter of 2001 and that year Jetblue ended with 15 planes and was just a year old-- give me a break, how come you don't bash Spirit for their wages and they even have a union!. Blame your demise on poor managment. Or the way the planets are aligned, I'm tired of your aimless ranting.

Actually the JB effect was a significant accelerator in the process that might otherwise have ended without the BK's or the depth of concessions.

You are correct the legacies were hurting, but the BK and concessions were not until a couple years ago when you had a whole lot more than 15 planes.

The JB bottom pay rates that were more regional in nature and the price dumping of tickets into cherry picked traditional legacy stronhold markets they supported were a very real factor in putting downward pressure on the industry.

AirTran and other smaller carriers had not yet had that effect. Sure if not JB it might have been someone else but it was your kool-aid sipping, managment hugging, glad to be here, work for peanuts wages that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Now you and have the audacity to crow about how you make as much or more than the legacies while extolling the virtue of market forces, etc. And you wonder why you are less than popular some places?

The irony is you will probably end up with ALPA and the pressure to exert better benefits on JB will force Neelman to show his real colors and expidite JB's fall from grace....

Last edited:
I agree, however we don't want to go down the road of taking the JS authority out of the hands of the Captain either.

Frankly it would not bother me if JB was banned from all ALPA JS's. Not from a personal standpoint against the pilots, but because much of the damage to the industry was inflicted as a result of the (at the time) lowered bar by JB.

From a NWA perspective none of our bases are in LGA, FLL, or JFK. Other than leisure travel none of our pilots use JB to go to work. On the other had we are providing thier pilots a free ride to work in order to allow JB to compete against us.

Imagine the world of hurt JB would be in if suddenly none of thier pilots could commute to work. I'm weeping crocodile tears already..... :bomb:

WOW, are you the NW captain in question or are you just that ignorant?

JB has always been more than helpful with their jumpseat. I have sat on the extra FA seat on many flights. Thanks JB.

I have already said, on another thread, that nobody should let the Skybus pilots jumpseat.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it appears from your profile that you work for JetBlue. If so, I am curious why you think you are any better than a Skybus pilot. At least a Skybus pilot will be able to afford to live in the town where he is based.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back