Jumpseat and Politics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
+1 Bake
I've been there and redemption isn't hard to come by when we man up and own it.

As for tempers "will continue for some time"
Please explain that- to me- it's done- the whole thing- AT pilots will be swa pilots will be treated exactly as I'd treat any of my family.
Any extension of this drama or inability to let this go is weird to me

Easy for Wave to say....."Yeah, it's done, let's move on"

As if you suffered some throughout this SLI. Hard to explain to guys who have had a lot ripped away from them.

It sounds all warm and fuzzy but next time, just hit "DELETE" in the upper right hand corner of your keyboard when you are going to post your BS.

Easy for Wave to say....."Yeah, it's done, let's move on"

As if you suffered some throughout this SLI. Hard to explain to guys who have had a lot ripped away from them.

It sounds all warm and fuzzy but next time, just hit "DELETE" in the upper right hand corner of your keyboard when you are going to post your BS.

Gains and pains on both sides. But at some point in time guys and gals need to sack up and get over it. It's done.

It seems like some of you assume you have the RIGHT to jumpseat. Its not a right, its a PRIVILEGE. And if an individual Capt doesn't want you on the jumpseat for whatever reason, you're out of luck.

Just say thank you and head for the next flight to where ever you're going.

It seems like some of you assume you have the RIGHT to jumpseat. Its not a right, its a PRIVILEGE. And if an individual Capt doesn't want you on the jumpseat for whatever reason, you're out of luck.

I agree but why to I have to say "thank you?" Can't I just take my sht and head on my way without disingenuous pleasantries?

That's somewhat true, but not reportedly the case here. If a CA doesn't want you on the jumpseat for whatever reason, a pilot requesting a jumpseat is out of luck like Fubi says. And there certainly may be valid reasons not to have a jumpseater on the flightdeck with you. Riding in the back is different, althouth I suppose you might make a case that you don't want a jumpseater in the back for some other reason, even if it's personal. However, that's generally gonna' be a weaker argument, when your buds wonder why you're making their airline look bad.

In any case, that's not what happened here. If the CA didn't want them (there was two of them) to jumpseat up front or in the back, he could have said so. He apparently didn't have a reason to say no, and in fact, granted the request, and let them ride. But he then took the opportunity to lambast them about his displeasure with how the SLI went. First in person face to face, and then over the PA when they were leaving. While he does have the right to decide whether to grant or not grant the jumpseat privilege, he does NOT have the right to use that opportunity to verbally berate another pilot. I'm pretty sure that's not in either the written or unwritten rulebooks. That's unprofessional and makes ALL of us in the industry look small and petty.

Hopefully, the pilot involved has cooled off and thought better about the situation. I believe the two JS coordinators are talking about this and cooler heads will prevail. An isolated situation (as it's been pointed out--there've been hotheads on both sides) shouldn't, and ultimately won't, define this "marriage."

Bubba

That may be true, but is certainly not how we do things at Southwest. I'm thinking Newman is going to have a hard time fitting in.

Actually FJ - they were not even jumpseating - plenty of seats so they were non-reving. Just like DL-NW blended non-rev together before becoming one airline, SW can list and non-rev on AAI flights just like one of their employees and vice versa. Priority is after all own airline employees and before all other offline, buddy pass etc.

So, Fubijaaker - what say you now? If an individual Capatain doesn't want you in a cabin seat on his flight "for whatever reason" - like he doesn't like your uniform - is that ok? We're still out of luck?

I'll just say thank you in advance for you wisdom in your response to this scenario .... thank you.

Looks like Mr Newman is our "Uncle Larry" who gets drunk at the family function, licks the ice sculpture and fondles the dog. Sorry for those that had to deal with him. I thought we were all professionals here. SWA pilots have been more than courteous when I've asked for permission to ride the JS and those SWA pilots I've carried on mine have been more than gracious for the ride. SLI is water under the bridge. Let's all move on and play well together. It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

No, I was just referring to the cockpit jumpseat. A jumpseat request that is issued a cabin seat makes you just another non-rev in my book.

Latest resources

Back