Jumping on Jet Blue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Brown Cow said:
But what is even more amazing is that all their ground staff, irregardless of where you are, know fully what to do with jumpseaters. They know CASS inside and out and if you are CASS approved, can do all the logistics within 1 minute. BAM!!!!
Well, apparently there is atleast one person who has no clue about jumpseaters. Because I encountered her in Long Beach last fall. What a nightmare.

bluejuice787 said:
...may I make a suggestion...mono y mono? Take note other pilot prodigies...Do not use the word "irregardless" regardless of the intent of your message.

Brown Cow said:
I don't get it! Please enlighten me!

JB Bus Drvr said:
I'm still wondering what BJ was meaning by the grammar lesson, myself.

I suppose bluejuice787 was referring to the old "irregardless" controversy. However, his credibility on the issue was severely undermined by his choice of "mono y mono." Translated from Spanish, he said, "one and one." I suspect he intended to use the phrase "mano a mano," but even that phrase would be unfortunate. I'll explain below.

Mano-a-mano

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Mano-a-mano is a Spanish construction meaning "hand-to-hand". It was used originally for bullfights where just two matadors confront each other.

Current Spanish usage describes any kind of competition between two people where they both compete, but somehow co-operate in achieving something.

Within the Doce Pares Eskrima fighting system, it is one of the three ranges of engagement, specifically the closest one. Note that this does not indicate solely unarmed combat.

This term has been adopted in English with similar meaning, possibly by Ernest Hemingway. The English adoption can be likened to the word mêlée.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mano-a-mano"

The phrase mano-a-mano (also correctly spelled without the hyphens, mano a mano) literally means "hand to hand" and is translated to mean "face to face." The tone implied is combative or confrontational, and the combat or contest is often held in public. The phrase does NOT mean, "man to man."

Although "mano a mano" (or bluejuice787's mono y mono, for that matter) looks and sound similar to "man-to-man," the meanings and implications are quite different. A man-to-man talk is when men talk honestly about subjects which may be difficult or embarrassing. Man-to-man means "marked by forthrightness or honesty." It is "honest, intimate, and treating somebody as an equal."

Although it is unclear from his choice of words, I suspect that bluejuice787 desired not to be face-to-face confrontational with Brown Cow, but rather to be honest and intimate with him.

:)

:D

Anyway... on to irregardless.

Irregardless probably originated as a blend of irrespective and regardless. It is a nonstandard form of regardless. While it is commonly remarked that "there is no such word," indeed, there is such a word.
Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. ... It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose.

It is an adjective meaning "regardless," and it's pronounced like this.

:)

[EDIT: I repeated myself. :)]

Last edited:
mmmmmhhhhhhh.....I knew there were still smart people in this world !!!.....mano a mano mi querido amigo, gracias por la gran leccion de este lenguaje tan lindo...

Latest resources

Back