Juggling the impossible - Keeping fit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

For those of you who are serious bodybuilders and fly for an airline >> I'd like to know how you do it? I'm talking about everything including the big things like DIET, WORKOUTS, and SLEEP.

Let's start with DIET. How are you supposed to eat lean meals with high protein when you are on a 4-day trip and don't have access to a blender for protein shakes, and all there ever is are horrible fast food places.

SLEEP. I find that just trying to get 8 hours is a challenge. Comments?

WORKOUTS. I found that the only way to really work out consistently when I'm working is to bid 1-day trips and use the gym right near the crashpad in the evenings. It's almost impossible to find a good free-weight gym in a hotel on a 3 or 4-day trip.

Now working out well, sleeping adequatly, and eating right on my days off is a piece of cake. It's the flying days that are tough.

Looking for tips and techniques.

This is exactly why you don't ever see crewmembers that are bodybuilders.

I don't know about body building and flying for an airline. Like the above post I have not seen alot of body builders in the cockpit. I have seen a number of very fit and well developed people though. It is all a matter of what extremes you want to take for fitness. If your protein shakes are so important for you then pack all that you need and carry it with you. Get a number of memberships at the big gym chains. If there are no gyms relatively close to your layover hotel then get a cab or rental car and drive to them.

As far as remaining fit it takes a concerted effort but is not impossible. The important thing is not to push too hard as fatigue can be very debilitating and has a much bigger effect on the body than many people would like to admit.

Very tough for me...

I recently, about 7 months ago, decided to make a big change in my life. It was the toughest yet but I found a way to be successfull. I tipped the scales at 312 lbs and a waist size in uniform of 50. I purchased a book called body for life and it changed everything.

Being a freight dog, flying in middle of night, eating crappy food and trying to exercise and get sleep was the toughest by far to deal with. But 9 months later I weighed in at 247 lbs and waist size 40.
I carry protein bars and stopped carrying protein shakes cause it caused a hassle with the TSA when it came to a white powder in a ziplock bag. I bid hotels with gyms and hotels with Bally's close by of which I'm a member. Or hotels with Golds nearby where 5.00 per day got you in. Stayed away from most airline food and got in the internet and checked nutrition facts for restaurant nearby where we stayed, example Boston Market. Overall, I think my way of life changed dramatically that now it's a habit. I walk to malls instead of taking hotel vans and it definetly shows.

Good luck...
Dsee

I think there are 2 kinds of pilots: 1. skinny ones who a)don't make enough money to get decent meals or b) work such a schedule that allows only one good meal (my last one: wake up at 0400, grab a donut, get back to your hotel at 1030, sleep till1400, eat a banana and a cup yoghurt, eat a good meal at 1700, depart at 1930, at your other hotel room at 2130 and fall asleep at 2300.)
2. the overweight ones that eat whatever they find and make enough money to do it

DIET DIET & DIET - most important.

Myo Max Meal, I highly suggest this supplement. Mixes instantly and one of the most popular products with proven results on the market today. It has ALL the essentials for a lean physique.

Low- carb &calorie -High Protein meal ..

48 grams of protein, fortified with Amino Acids.

12.5 g of BCAA's.

9 g of Glutamine

Aminogen Enhanced Protein Absorption

Vition Zinc- Mag recovery formula.

[URL=http://www.SciTecNutrition.com

It is probably the best thing to eat "healthy" on the road and stay in shape-

3 5 0

DON'T DRINK SODA! (or other sugary beverages)

It's so easy to grab a Coke on the way up to the cockpit, and I found myself having 4-5 a day. With about 40 grams of carbs (all sugar) and 170 calories, that really adds up. Just by switching to water I lost 10 pounds in about two months without changing anything else in my routine.

I concur with cutting out sodas. I lost some flab just by stopping sodas completely and not drinking as much juice. Just drink water. I just started keeping track of all the junk I ate on trips. If you are forced to eat fast food, try getting a salad or skipping the fries.
As far as lifting, jogging, etc, I have'nt figured that one out yet. On a 9 hour overnight, its hard to get my key to the room to work fast enough sometimes.

Just be careful with the supplements boys. No I'm not talking about ephdrine killing you, I mean how all that protein and fat burner makes your stink like my college apartment after free wings and dollar pitcher night. Just remember the cockpit is a small environment and smells tend to sit around for awhile.

I flew with one body builder type guy who was so bad that I was pretty much screaming the whole way down final and led me to fling open the window at 60 knots. As we turned off the runway the flight attendant rang up to tell us that people as far back as row 5 we're asking hear what in god's green earth the stench was. Of course the source of the problem was to busy laughing to respond to her.

Sounds like you are getting some good advice. Yes, do stay away from the soda and drink more water. Yes, skip the fries but if you have to have fast food, get a chicken sandwich and leave off the mayo. All of these things will help but remember to not deprive yourself either. Reward yourself sometimes.

The other thing is getting exercise. Walking at a brisk rate (say through the airport) will help. The key is getting your heart rate up. Even walking in place or jogging in place in your room is better than nothing. If there would be a gym available, use it if at all possible. Loosing weight and getting into shape is not rocket science. Eating right and exercise are the keys but making yourself do it is the hard part.

Goodluck

Latest resources

Back