Juggling the impossible - Keeping fit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ibaflyer said:
Even walking in place or jogging in place in your room is better than nothing. If there would be a gym available, use it if at all possible.

To add, carrying a jump rope and/or some of those stretch bands can help in a pinch, as well. Be creative but keep it simple.

Traveling and staying lean is difficult. It has to be a priority. There are several energy bars out there that are very good - both tasting and for you. I tend to travel with Myoplex bars. I eat the "lite", Deluxe, and low-carb dpending on the tme of day and cravings. I also travel with shakes. Get the ones sold with individual serving packets. Mix them with a shaker that has a good strainer in the lid. Myoplex and MetRx shakes blend pretty well in water or milk. I usually only drink these on a layover because they are kind of a pain to clean in the aircraft lav (sink- boys don't go there ;)) Just remember two things: 1. One of the best things you can do is drink copious amounts of water 2. energy bars are packed with calories. If you just sit on your butt and eat them without the corresponding exercise routine you might as well be eating a Big Mac and a snickers bar.

As far as workouts go, most hotels have something. You may not be able to stick to your 4 day split but there is beneficial training to be had. I am more endurance oriented so as long as I have a pair of running shoes and shorts I can do something. You won't always get the workout you want but a workout is better than no workout.

When you have to eat in the terminal (and you need REAL food) try to stick to Delis and the like. Stay away from mayo-lots and lots of fat and empty calories. If you have to order fast food, get the grilled chicken sandwich w/o mayo. Its not real healthy but it is better than the alternative. The new foil tuna packs are a good emergency back up as well.

Go to a health food store like a GNC and they should be able to help you more.

tri

I used to work out all the time. I was 175lbs with a six pack. When I got married I gained weight (typical), but when I started instructing, I wasn't doing too much physical work anymore and my metabolism was slowing down, I got up to 215 and had more of a pony keg than a six pack. That's the most I have weighed and when my wife and I seperated last summer I got down to 185 from about 200. Since doing this freight job at odd ball hours and eating in the middle of the night I got back up to 200. My wife and I are back together again and we eat dinner together a lot. Either she does or I cook a good dinner when we get a chance. I need to get back in to running and lifting weights. I can't afford to get a gym membership right now, but I can run for free.

Staying fit in general is has to be a priority. It used to be at the top of my list in my early 20's, but now at almost 28 and 25-30lbs later it is going to have to be again. I definitely felt good when I worked out and ate better.

The bodybuilder thing too, I agree, the supplements they take make em get the $hits. That's all you hear in the lockerrooms which I tried to stay away from.. Something about a bunch of nasty looking men of all ages walking around the locker room with nothing on makes me want to stay away. Even the women's lockerroom from what my wife says is probably not much better. With the great looking women in the gym, there are also the nasty ones too. I can only imagine the smell of a flightdeck with a bodybuilder in it. I had a roommate in college who was a wrestler and whether or not he used supplements ( I think he was on roids) he was the worst smelling person I ever met. The dorm room was so nasty, that I only went there to sleep. I studied elsewhere and certainly would not eat in there. I moved out at the semester, and he had another wrestler move in with him. You could smell the room with the door shut if you walked by.

get one of these GARY FISHER mountain bikes with the thin frame and tires (like a 10 speed) and ride it instead of driving

do 7 pull ups a day

...on the sodas

That alone...once again can make a huge difference. But it's a tough one for some people.
There's a good solution: Diet Rite. It doesn't taste much like diet soda. In fact, it's actually quite tasty. There are four flavors that I know of: Cola, Peach, Raspberry, and White Grape. They are sweetened with Splenda, so it tastes as real as it can without sugar, calories, or asparatame.

I know it is carried at Albertson's. I'm not sure where else.

Obviously water is the solution but Diet Rite works for me when I have a craving.

Somebody write to Bowflex and ask for a full body workout machine that packs up in a 22 inch roll-aboard.

...There is usually a Gym near most hotels, just ask for directions at the desk. If time is an issue there are quite a few excersises you can do in your room.

Eggs

Hard boiled eggs are a great and cheap source of protein. Plus they keep easy, you can pack asmany as you will need. Just eat the whites and toss the yolks.

As for lifting weights....ask the bagage handlers if you can help;)

Cheers.

Hi!

Fitness:
I developed my own fitness routine I do in my room. (We very rarely are in a hotel w/ a gym arrangement/near a gym, and often the hotel workout rooms are bad.) You can pick up all kinds of exercises by attending classes at a gym, or from watching workout videos. I got some of my best ones from watching some Pilates workout infomercials. Normally, I do 3 sets, which takes me about 2 hours. You can vary how many exercises you do and how many sets to fit your time available. For weights it is easy to add and take out stuff to your luggage and flight kit and use that for various exercises. At my crashpad I brought in some free weights, which I need to use more often.

I was running a lot (I always carry a pair of running shoes and 3 sets of shorts/T-shirts, but have hurt my knee so I'm walking more and running less.

Don't ask for the hotel van or rental car to go short distances! Some of our pilots won't walk 1/4 mile! If it's 5-20 minutes it's easy to walk! Also, unless I'm pressed for time I walk, instead of using the moving walkways or subway-type trains, if possible. I take the stairs instead of escalators. Sometimes I even carry my luggage instead of rolling to to add extra calorie burn!

About the best fitness activities/rountine you can do is detailed in an old (1970s) Canadian Armed Forces pamphlet/book. It is available in bookstores, etc. I don't know the exact title. Note: I couldn't find it on an internet search. If your interested, PM me, and I think my mom knows how to find it.

Food: I quit drinking sodas about 2 years ago-almost all water-this also saves money. I almost NEVER eat fast food. I carry energy bars, apples, nuts and raisins mix, etc. Foccacia bread is a good one. It is sort of like a mini-pizza, bread with stuff on top of it. It'll stay eatable for about a week.

Good luck!

Cliff
GRB

PS-One of the things that keeps me motivated is observing a number of pilots at my company who are severely overweight. They're cutting their retirement years WAY down (if they make it that long)! The other is my wife, who can be pretty harsh on excess body-fat. I figure the better shape I'm in, the better chance I have of getting serious sack time with her!

My wife got us started on the low sugar diet (low G/I). Keep the sugar to a minimum...no more soda. Drinking lots of water is key. The protien bars (low sugar) are good to keep in your bag as well. Eat one of those and chug some water and you will be full for a few hours. I have not been to Wendy's in 6 months.

I have not started running again yet, but I have dropped 8 pounds by just staying away from the sugar. At one time I was a big fat 220 and felt horrible, I am now around 190 and feel great. I am sure I can drop another 5/10 once I start to run again. Best part about jogging.....its free and available at all the overnights.

good luck :D

FlyChicaga said:
Did that Body for Life book you mentioned have anything about such things in it? Maybe a trip to Borders is in order...

Body For Life is an amazing book. It shows you haow to set real goals in life, and work properly to attain them. It is a must read. If you have more questions check out BFL newsgroups/ yahoo groups.

Latest resources

Back