• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Judge's Order Affirms SkyWest Airlines Pilots' Right to Organize

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alpa doesn't care about regionals. They were very anti-Freedom but as soon as they joined ALPA and gave them money..."Welcome Freedom".

ALPA did the same with Continental. By your reasoning, ALPA doesn't care about legacies, either.

Alpa doesn't care about regionals. They were very anti-Freedom but as soon as they joined ALPA and gave them money..."Welcome Freedom". Now with SkyWest...what, another 3,000 pilots to give us money??? "Welcome SkyWest".

If you are going to post then know what you are talking about. Freedom was started as an alter ego airline during contract talks of Mesa. Prior to this time the Mesa contract did no contain Scope. (mesa guys correct me if I'm wrong). In order to get Scope the Mesa group had to give in on other parts of the contract. Also, ALPA does not need regional money as the majors actually sunsidize the regionals. regionals spend a lot more than they put in the pot.

Which is why it should be DOH until the date of the ASA purchase, then percentage after that. That way the junior SkyWest pilots don't unfairly benefit from the assets and orders transfered from ASA. Also, let's be honest here -- if you were hired after the purchase you can't say you didn't know what you were getting in to.
Precisely, exactly what I was talking about. When the lists merge, the participants at the table will be J.A., B.H., ASA ALPA, and the laywers.
The SKYW Airline pilots, will read about the decision on Skywest Online, after the details are hammered out. The point I am making is, the SKYW airline pilots will have no say in the list merger process, if they are comfortable with B.H. choosing the course of their careers, fine, just remember, PBS, bucket reserve, and the long laundry list of other concessions that has been pulled back across the table and into managments pocket.
PBR

This is assuming the lists merge. They haven't even integrated management yet. This will take a very long time to hammer out. For now we are seperate companies and have to live for today not tomorrow. Hell by the time they get this hammered out a lot of us will probably be moved on to other jobs anyways.

ASA can't have it both ways it is either DOH or it is percentage based. There is no merger policy to follow as it is not 2 ALPA airlines that are merging. All this stuff about Jerry stating he wants DOH is simply speculation. I still say they are putting off merging as long as possible because they know merging the list is a very intense subject matter.

If regional dues don't support ALPA then why are they so hot and heavy going after us? You can bet they see the dollar signs of 2700 pilots in their eyes. If it did not benefit them financially then they wouldn't be pulling a full on blitz to get us. You can bet our dues money would definately make a difference in their account. Too bad they will never see one penny of our money.

J.A. has said all along that SkyWest has no plans to merge the 2 company's. He said there is way to much uncommon about the two. Plus SkyWest will always protect it's first born.

J.A. has said all along that SkyWest has no plans to merge the 2 company's. He said there is way to much uncommon about the two. Plus SkyWest will always protect it's first born.
J.A. has a long history of saying things that keep him from violating SEC rules. Saying that he has "no plans" keeps him on the legal side of the law. In any case he can have all the plans or not, when the judge says the one carrier petition has merit that will be the final word, J.A. will have 2 choices, just like you do, quit or comply. If you read the TSA v. ALPA decision, the main arguments for GayJhets remaining separate will not support keeping SKYW/ASA from merging. The issues were equipment, codeshare and route structure. These issues are null and void, we share all those issues and quite a few more. At any rate B.H. will decide what is best for you.
PBR

If regional dues don't support ALPA then why are they so hot and heavy going after us? You can bet they see the dollar signs of 2700 pilots in their eyes. If it did not benefit them financially then they wouldn't be pulling a full on blitz to get us. quote]

I would imagine they want a chance to have the likes of you aboard in order to educate you about ALPA. They want you to see the benefits of a union. They don't want you going to a skybus etc... In your case, it would likely be a waste of time and effort.

JA has also said any integration, should it occur, would be DOH. That does not protect me. I think I want someone that I choose, and I pay for that is beholden to me to fight for me. I think little ole OO has become big enough that the ma and pa days are done for. I think JA will look out for the stockholders, not his firstborn. I hope you are right, but my doubts are strng enough to seek real representation.

List mergers

JA has also said any integration, should it occur, would be DOH. That does not protect me. I think I want someone that I choose, and I pay for that is beholden to me to fight for me. I think little ole OO has become big enough that the ma and pa days are done for. I think JA will look out for the stockholders, not his firstborn. I hope you are right, but my doubts are strng enough to seek real representation.

I sincerely hope that, if the lists do merge (I hope they do 4500 pilots strong!), that everybody gets a fair deal. DOH, I feel, is not fair necessarily to the Skywest pilots. Get ALPA in there and they can compute numerous formulas to reach a fair deal both pilot groups can be content with. Based on percentages (DOH for the first 10%, relative seniority for the next, etc, etc.) Otherwise you go with the only other precedent......Allegheny/Mohawk merger which was straight DOH. Personally I don't think JA cares, he just needs bodies to fill his airplanes so he can get that completion factor. We need to work together, not against. There will be pissed off people either way, however, hopefully both groups can/will be represented by their fellow pilots not MGMT.

Trojan

You can bet they see the dollar signs of 2700 pilots in their eyes. If it did not benefit them financially then they wouldn't be pulling a full on blitz to get us. You can bet our dues money would definately make a difference in their account.
ALPA is putting on the "full blitz" because last summer a group of SKYW pilots solicited ALPA to assisting them in a union organizing drive...it started from within our pilot group.

Also let us remember that ALPA is a non-profit organization. It is not like they will be lighting cigars with our dues money, in fact our local MEC will be using most of our dues money to make our lives better. A portion will go to ALPA national for the Major Contingency Fund (Emergency Fund) and for admin, etc..

I also don't think it is the financial benefit they see in their eyes, it is the principal philosophy of a union...the more pilots your union represents, the stronger you are in negotiations and lobbying on our behalf in DC. They are striving to make the piloting profession better and that is best done with the SKYW pilots on board.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back