Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetSuite (SoCal Phenom 100 Operator) Updates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep, we saw that performance really well a couple of days ago. I was flying a Phenom back from Brazil and had to climb from the low teens (IIRC) to the mid-30's with the Engine Ice and Wing/Stab protection on. I think from T/O to TOC (FL380 IIRC) it took us about 45 mins. Of course we were at Max Gross, and was insanely hot and humid. Today, back in the States, however, in clear air we were still doing between 1000-1250fpm all the way to FL360, again at MGTOW.

On a related note, how do you like the Garmin Prodigy on the Phenom?

On a related note, how do you like the Garmin Prodigy on the Phenom?

Love it! If you've ever used a GNS 530, 430, or 1000 for that matter, the Prodigy system uses the same Garmin logic. Loading approaches, DPs/STARs, Flight plans, etc is still the same. The soft keys on the MFD take a few minutes to get used to, but after a flight or two finding systems info is easy.

I love the systems schematics that you can pull up on the MFD. I think my favorite part of the Prodigy, if you subscribe to it, is the plethora of XM weather available. NEXRAD, cloud tops, echo tops, AIR/SIGMETs, winds aloft, TFRs (and all TFR associated info)...it's all there. The ability to move the pointer over to a particular cell and see what the tops are is awesome.

The Prodigy has airways in the database and they will display on the screen. The one downside is that there is no option to create a user-defined hold. The autopilot will fly published holds, but that's it. If assigned a random hold, it's up to you to fly it. I was told in training, not sure if true, that Garmin's working on a patch for that.

Did they get the flap setting software problem fixed? I've heard that Embraer was having trouble with that.

Also, for those of you that haven't seen it, there's another website (www.jetbrief.com) that has a lot of great photos and blogs from owners and businesses that have taken delivery of their Phenom. Jim and Betsy Frost (they were the first to receive types) have their own website too with tons of blogs from their trips. There's a link to their web page on the site as well for anyone who's interested.

I sure hope they get the sim in DFW certified soon! I'm itchin' to get over there.

The flaps still have issues here and there. Waiting to see if the latest fix works. Cross your fingers!

For the people who have been hired at Jetsuite, what's the outlook for single-pilot flying in the Phenom? Any indication from management? How often would you potentially fly it single-pilot?

Personally, I think flying single-pilot around SoCal would be fun (albeit a bit challenging at times with all the GA traffic on weekends).

Last time I checked the phenom is a GA aircraft, so it should fit right in with everyone else.

Last time I checked the phenom is a GA aircraft, so it should fit right in with everyone else.

If you have ever flown around SoCal on the weekends (especially latter summer after June Gloom) you know what I am talking about. Everyone's flying including many inexperienced flight students, etc. It just adds to the challenge/excitement I guess - or, it can lead to faster ulcers... I spent a little time flying out of LGB, TOA and some VNY many years back. Good times.

It does get busy out here in SoCal! I was flying the CE-501 single pilot 135 and that thing had basic nav with an old GPS that doesn't even couple to the auto-pilot. It wasn't that hard flying the 501 single pilot here in SoCal, but it was fun. You're busier of course, especially on the ground when you have to get everything ready yourself, i.e, coffee, ice, papers, cooler, clearence, ect. If you've ever flown freight single pilot then it just comes back to you.

Latest resources

Back