• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What a joke. That JetBlue analysis is TERRIBLE. Fleet count is wrong. Growth assumptions wrong. Says ZERO retirements over next 8-9 years, wrong. Doesn't account for attrition. Assumes junior captain is 50%, wrong.

I have been here just over 19 months. My relative seniority has moved up more than 9% in those 19 months. That was with very little attrition, as I only moved up 23 numbers from retirements and resignations. Certainly resignations will increase soon as some leave for legacy airlines. So, after 19 months, with very little attrition, I am almost 1/3 of the way to the junior captain spot. That was also before the company told Wall Street (just recently) that our growth rate until further notice will be more than 5%.

With all things considered, I expect to bypass junior captain at about the 5 year mark. Sooner if attrition really picks up. Not possible? How many years do our most junior captains have right now? And remember that those junior captains tenure includes the Great Recession, age 65, no legacy hiring and a slower growth rate than we are NOW telling our shareholders to expect.

You can dog on our benefits and compensation all you want. I will mostly agree. But you are either stupid or dishonest for saying upgrade will be 12-14 years, no matter how little Audrey knows about JetBlue.

This is fairly true. I was told when hired it would be 5 years till line holder on the bus.... 6 months. I was told 10 year upgrade... been here for 2.5 years and am about 200 numbers away. Things could slow down but i doubt it, im guessing another 1.5-2.5 years till upgrade. Hired today and its all about attrition... my guess 5-7 years to junior 190 capt.

A little info. Four guys introduced themselves to me on flights this week that were interviewing as new hires. One of those guys just applied in the latest App window opening a week and a half a ago. Good luck guys.

As far as this seniority argument goes. I was hired July 2011. BOS-190-FO. I havnt worked a weekend yet this year and I wont work one at least through March. Based on my seniority I am pretty sure I might be able to go the rest of the year. Other than Thanksgiving and Christmas I havn't worked a weekend for 6 months now.

Last edited:
You guys seems to also forget that if you have been here less than 4-5 years,
there is at least 250 - 300 FO's Senior to you whom I bet 90% will bid for CA slots as soon as they can hold a decent line in the base of their choice.

As far as I can tell from the list. It looks like a 6 year pilot would be bottom 10-15% E190 CA.

You guys seems to also forget that if you have been here less than 4-5 years,
there is at least 250 - 300 FO's Senior to you whom I bet 90% will bid for CA slots as soon as they can hold a decent line in the base of their choice.

As far as I can tell from the list. It looks like a 6 year pilot would be bottom 10-15% E190 CA.

Sure, that will happen. However, there will always be upgrade by-passer's because you can make just as much money as an 320 FO if you work hard, and have more control over your schedule. Also, due to seniority list expansion, even when these guys bid over, there will still be enough new captain seats to keep the junior captain at about 70% due to upgrade by-passer's and our 2 fleet system where some guys will only fly the "widebody" and won't be seen on the RJ.

This is fairly true. I was told when hired it would be 5 years till line holder on the bus.... 6 months. I was told 10 year upgrade... been here for 2.5 years and am about 200 numbers away. Things could slow down but i doubt it, im guessing another 1.5-2.5 years till upgrade. Hired today and its all about attrition... my guess 5-7 years to junior 190 capt.

Just to add a little info for you to chew on.

I have been here 6 years and am about 1500 on the seniority list. The most junior Capt on the Bus upgraded about 2 years ago and is about 1485 on the list. I have not even come close to holding Bus capt in any of the bids since then. At that rate 200 numbers could take a very long time.

1300ish here. Still several hundred FO's on both AC above me. Some are finally taking the upgrade just to get the type. More and more worried about the whole merger/aquisition crap going on and getting the upgrade.....

1300ish here. Still several hundred FO's on both AC above me. Some are finally taking the upgrade just to get the type. More and more worried about the whole merger/aquisition crap going on and getting the upgrade.....

I would be more worried about getting a bust on my record than getting a type you won't really need. Most "majors" don't even care about TPIC time let alone types.

jetBlue seems like a decent enough airline that one could ABSOLUTELY live comfortably as an F/O for as long as they want. Money just buys more SH-T........work to live, not live to work.....Going or not going to a Major because of Upgrade time is stupid, it changes constantly

Latest resources

Back