Jetblue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
0 TPIC is the new 1000 TPIC.

Maybe they think hiring you with 0 TPIC will keep you at their airline and keep you from leaving to one of the big 3 when they hire? Maybe keeping their investment intact? Just a guess, and not a put down. They might think you will have to stay and upgrade and get 1000 hrs in the left seat of their plane before you have a chance at moving on, if you want to do that. There were guys at CAL that had the PIC, got a 737 type from CAL during initial FO training, and then left for SWA. The LCCs are aware of that also, and training is expensive. We also know that 8-10 years in the right seat of an RJ makes you a quality candidate, just without the PIC. The LCCs know that too. You would easily be jet proficient by then.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Maybe they think hiring you with 0 TPIC will keep you at their airline and keep you from leaving to one of the big 3 when they hire? Maybe keeping their investment intact? Just a guess, and not a put down. They might think you will have to stay and upgrade and get 1000 hrs in the left seat of their plane before you have a chance at moving on, if you want to do that. There were guys at CAL that had the PIC, got a 737 type from CAL during initial FO training, and then left for SWA. The LCCs are aware of that also, and training is expensive.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Exactly. Great time to get on with Spirit, VA and JB if you have significant turbine time but no PIC time. Several of my FOs have been applying after 3-4 years in the right seat. Just read about a guy on another board who got hired by Spirit with no PIC time. These airlines want to make sure you stay for the long term - and no PIC time means no movement to the legacies (unless they change their policies too). Makes sense and it is a good opprtunity for those people who want out of the regionals in the near term.

Has anybody stayed at the Holiday Inn Long Island city? Wondering if it is a safe walk from the subway station around 5 or 6 pm?

Thanks!

Exactly. Great time to get on with Spirit, VA and JB if you have significant turbine time but no PIC time. Several of my FOs have been applying after 3-4 years in the right seat. Just read about a guy on another board who got hired by Spirit with no PIC time. These airlines want to make sure you stay for the long term - and no PIC time means no movement to the legacies (unless they change their policies too). Makes sense and it is a good opprtunity for those people who want out of the regionals in the near term.

And the legacies may eventually buy up some of the LCCs, or they all may merge together. So, going to LCC may also lead you to a Legacy, in a round about way. You never know. But, it is probably a lot better than sitting it out for years at a Regional in the right seat, as the Regionals start to shrink or merge together.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The subway is right across from the JB HQ and about 5 or 6 blocks I believe to the hotel. I took a cab as it was freezing. Nice hotel good steak house in the hotel. If it is safe I don't know but it looked ok.

Thank you! Did you take the cab from JFK? Do you happen to remember about what it cost? I was thinking I might spring for a cab from JFK to the hotel and just take the subway back the next day after all is said and done.

Thank you! Did you take the cab from JFK? Do you happen to remember about what it cost? I was thinking I might spring for a cab from JFK to the hotel and just take the subway back the next day after all is said and done.

If you get the job you need to change your name. You will learn why in time, it's an internal JetBlue thing, but you will need to change it.

I might be the guy you are talking about, I got hired at Spirit with zero TPIC, however in the group of 12 I was the only one without it. I also know A LOT of guys at UAL (then CAL) that got hired without it. general Lee is 100% that leaving the regional world ASAP is a wise decision :) You can make great money and have a great career at JetBlue, Spirit, VA(Hopefully they turn around)......and still apply to a legacy if you want.

Thing is, you hear about it when someone with 0TPIC gets hired. Vast majority have that experience, it doesn't call attention.

Latest resources

Back