• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue work rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When we were smaller, upper management was VERY good about getting out on the front lines, talking with the troops and customers alike.

But that comes back to my question. What difference does it make to "talk" to the employees? In the end, it's the decisions made, not the talk that matters.

I can imagine Neeleman talking and talking about how 190 rates simply reflect 60% of the A320 rates. To him, that makes sense, so what good does it do the rank-and-file to hear him talk about it?

If one doesn't care about their employees, they just make the decision and implement from behind closed doors. I saw plenty of that at my last carrier. At least by getting out and talking with (not at) someone face to face, it gives the "appearance" of caring or listening. HOPEFULLY some of the input will weigh on the decision making process.

Maybe my attitude seems naive, but talking with your employees like this, that is a basic leadership tool. Not management, but leadership. That is a fundamental difference from what I have seen at other companies. And believe me, by no stretch of the imagination do I have the rose-colored glasses on. There ARE problems. We are working through them. I will be on-board until the company stops trying to fix them. Then I'm gone.

sounds like you guys are going thru the same small company to big company events we went thru at fedex. trust was lost and attitudes hardened - a lot.

I can imagine Neeleman talking and talking about how 190 rates simply reflect 60% of the A320 rates. To him, that makes sense, so what good does it do the rank-and-file to hear him talk about it?

The 190 payscale was a major, major misstep. The question is still open as to whether the powers that be recognize this and will take steps to correct it. And maybe even learn that listening to your people before making such a mistake might be a good thing. I think we'll find out shortly.

What's weird is that the original A320 payrates were actually pretty high, higher than the non-scheds that JBLU was the same size of, back in the day, if I remember.

What's weird is that the original A320 payrates were actually pretty high, higher than the non-scheds that JBLU was the same size of, back in the day, if I remember.

No, the original A320 rates sucked, but with the promise of quickly increased rates. The rates were in fact quickly increased from sucky to not too bad. Taking the same tack with a new airframe in an established company was the mistake.

No, the original A320 rates sucked, but with the promise of quickly increased rates. The rates were in fact quickly increased from sucky to not too bad. Taking the same tack with a new airframe in an established company was the mistake.

The approach seems somewhat like an "Amway" approach....For the first four years worth of employees life is probably good. But how will life be for the second four years worth of employees....years on reserve, even more years to upgrade, low or no profit sharing etc... If they can(management) can provide a good experience for that second four year group and keep them as happy as the founding group than they truly are great airline managers and the culture which appears to be about all that passengers respond to will be kept alive....As another poster said "the experiment" will now either bear fruit for the long slow haul or will be shelved.......I for one hope that it bears fruit

Latest resources

Back