Jetblue Question. QOL A320 vs E190

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LUV2FLYLOUIE

Hey Blue guys. I'm in the August 29th class and I here it will be mixed. Wondering if you guys can give me an idea on QOL on each plane. I live in CLT and would commute to JFK. Thanks in advance.
Louie

PS. I'm turning blue already.

Hey Blue guys. I'm in the August 29th class and I here it will be mixed. Wondering if you guys can give me an idea on QOL on each plane. I live in CLT and would commute to JFK. Thanks in advance.
Louie

PS. I'm turning blue already.

Given that JB uses E190s on flights to CLT from JFK, you could get nights at home if you get that fleet - not too bad. I hear the E190 fleet seems more like a "regional" airplane in terms of average sector times and mix of short and medium-haul flights. You could fly between JFK and IAD 3-4 times in one day. The A320 will get you to the Caribbean (excluding Nassau and Bermuda) and the West Coast.

The E190 has about a 2000 Nm range but is being flown like an RJ. You'll do 3-4 legs per day avg. to get around 5 hours of pay per day. Overall the 320 is more productive and less work. One transcon and you'll get 5+ of pay. 2 year seat lock in both fleet and you can only upgrade within your respective fleet within your lock. It'll take you 3 years min. to upgrade on the E190 and 8 years on the 320. We have about 1900 total pilot, about 100 buses and 27 E190s. 7.2 crews for the bus and 6.7 for the 190 so you can do your own math.
Keep in mind you have butt loads of commuters from CLT and I know JB guys getting bumped off the JS...only 2 on the 190, one in the cockpit and one in the cabin and flight attendants have priority over pilots for the cabin JS.

Welcome to Big Blue

Im about halfway up the list in the 190 left seat and live in clt. commute is a nail-biter almost every time these days. life as a line holder on it isnt too bad. routinely getting 15-16 days off mid 80s block on min schedule. fly about 70 (cx for wx, atc delays etc). trips are half commuteable.

i will tell you though that if i was brand new at jb i would go to the 320. hands down you will make more $. plus the trips are more productive and in general you dont work as hard. the 190 teething issues have mostly been worked out, and having flown both types here i can tell you the 190 is more fun to fly but the 320 is a nicer airplane all around. also i have not noticed any different treatment by anyone.

also, im not even sure jb is going to run any more 190 classes this year, and if at all not until at least sept/oct. virtually all will go to the 320.

good luck and see you on the commute (unfortunately)...

Thanks guys for the info. I guess the 320 is the better deal. Does the 190 have clt layovers? That could be pretty nice.

I wish you well at JB, Louie! From the posts it seems like a good bunch of guys telling it to you straight!
Sounds like the Bus will get you a better deal and an upgrade to the 190 left seat sooner.
Hey, Blue! You're getting a really good guy here. He'd easily be a Captain on the DC-10 or MD-11 here if we had a slot for him. He's a real professional with a great attitude and a pleasure to fly with. He will be missed!

Thanks guys for the info. I guess the 320 is the better deal. Does the 190 have clt layovers? That could be pretty nice.

Congrats on the new job. Perhaps you could provide a little clarity to someone who is looking at both the cargo and the LCC markets.

Can you give us a sense as to why you would leave Gemini and an MD-11 job for JB? Was it slow upgrade time at Gemini? Didn't like the long-haul lifestyle? Prefer shorter hops to longer hops? What did you not like about Gemini which contributed to this decision to join JB?

I don't know anyone at Gemini but I have a few friends at JB. Some like it and some don't - pretty much like any airline out there. It would be interesting to hear your rationale behind a move because some of us are looking for clarity ourselves.

I wish you well at JB, Louie! From the posts it seems like a good bunch of guys telling it to you straight!
Sounds like the Bus will get you a better deal and an upgrade to the 190 left seat sooner.
Hey, Blue! You're getting a really good guy here. He'd easily be a Captain on the DC-10 or MD-11 here if we had a slot for him. He's a real professional with a great attitude and a pleasure to fly with. He will be missed!
Thanks Fedora. I'll miss you guy's too. But at the same time very excited about starting my new life at jetblue.

Given that JB uses E190s on flights to CLT from JFK, you could get nights at home if you get that fleet - not too bad. I hear the E190 fleet seems more like a "regional" airplane in terms of average sector times and mix of short and medium-haul flights. You could fly between JFK and IAD 3-4 times in one day. The A320 will get you to the Caribbean (excluding Nassau and Bermuda) and the West Coast.

Actually...the A320 flies to Nassau. I fly there twice this week. I don't know if it still flies to Bermuda, but I've flown the A320 on scheduled flights quite a few times into Bermuda.
You know....now that I think about it, I didn't realize that the E190 went to Nassau.

The E190 is a beautiful plane, but the A320 seems to have a better quality of life.

Latest resources

Back