• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue PVC/ Atkins and Co. Compensation video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This isn't a reflection of my status it's just to show a different set of numbers from what he came up with. I came up with age 40 as an average new hire age. Use whatever age you think it is and adjust the amount of savings down accordingly.

Why, to show what happens when you take no responsibility for your own finances? Anyone who is 40,or 35, or even 30 without any personal retirement savings is a fool.

Last edited:
I agree with everything except the bold portion here. While we are way behind our peers when it comes to retirement you can easily retire here with a little discipline and planning. Now I know that a lot of our generation doesnt like those words, but it is neccesary regardless of what airline you go to. This being said. Lets assume a pilot comes to JB at 30 and stays until retirement age(unlikely for so many reasons I know, but just go with it). If you max out the allowable 401K amount of $17,5000/yr. Add to that the 8+ thousand that the company matches/adds each year depending on your pay rate. Assume a 6% return and you have millions of dollars when you retire. Around 3 million actually. This assumes that a typical 30 year old would currently have about $50k in retirement accounts upon reaching JB. Assume you live until 85. This gives you 3 million to spend with 240 months to live. That gives you about $12,500 a month to spend. Yes you will get raped on taxes, but you will also continue to gain interest on this money from 65-85 so I am cancelling each of those out. With no debt $12,500/mo in retirement isn't exactly having to rough it. So as you are correct in every other statement you can retire quite comfortably from JB without a military or other retirement as long as you plan. Yes I am aware that going to Delta will make about a 1.2 million difference in the good direction to this number at age 65. I am just stateing some facts here.

I'm 55, I have way north of the 3miilion you quote and a mil retirement to boot and I can tell you it won't be enough. I'm not a big spender, don't have the CA house, one car, take a reasonably fun vacation once a year. Couple of kids. Live very middle class. The funds I have would not be attainable by any 30 year old saving money at JB. If all you want to do in retirement is live by the river and fish I guess it would be enough. But Uncle Sam is coming after the money. He will soon drive up inflation and tax to the point that brings me back to the middle and drives the poorer folks up to the middle. JB is not the place to come unless you want to retire in TENN and fish down at the river (no slam on anyone from the Volunteer state)

I dunno. ALPA is like cancer, once you get it, you're never going to get rid of it.

ALPA won't get my yes vote.

Please don't take offense, but, are you new? I just can't imagine someone working at JB who accepts what is going on and can say no to a great partner like ALPA; regardless what your MEC may have done at your last airline.

I have a business on the side for which I have a partner and sometimes I hate the guy; I mean hate him. But at the end of the day, he's great at what he does and I'm better off with him than without him. He has everything I don't when it comes to that portion of the business for which he runs.

In the end it's a business decision and my advice is to partner up with the professionals that have been doing this for decades and can lead us to where we need to be. JB management holds all the cards, we build this company every day, we should get a bigger piece of the pie we made.

I like this company and I want to do at least as well as it is doing.

Please don't take offense, but, are you new? I just can't imagine someone working at JB who accepts what is going on and can say no to a great partner like ALPA; regardless what your MEC may have done at your last airline.

I have a business on the side for which I have a partner and sometimes I hate the guy; I mean hate him. But at the end of the day, he's great at what he does and I'm better off with him than without him. He has everything I don't when it comes to that portion of the business for which he runs.

In the end it's a business decision and my advice is to partner up with the professionals that have been doing this for decades and can lead us to where we need to be. JB management holds all the cards, we build this company every day, we should get a bigger piece of the pie we made.

I like this company and I want to do at least as well as it is doing.

I hear ya. It's nothing personal. Hell will freeze over before I vote yes to ALPA. That goes for now as well as 5 years from now.

I hear ya. It's nothing personal. Hell will freeze over before I vote yes to ALPA. That goes for now as well as 5 years from now.

So if you dont have a personal reason for voting against ALPA, then you have a rational business related reason why that wouldnt be better for your career compared to the current DR?

So if you dont have a personal reason for voting against ALPA, then you have a rational business related reason why that wouldnt be better for your career compared to the current DR?

Sometimes you do things just on principle, even if it isn't in your personal interest. In fact, doing something on principle ONLY means something in those cases. It's easy to be principled when the principle is in line with your interests.

I don't care for ALPA National, and the beauty of it all is that I don't have to justify myself to you or anyone else.

Sometimes you do things just on principle, even if it isn't in your personal interest. In fact, doing something on principle ONLY means something in those cases. It's easy to be principled when the principle is in line with your interests.

I don't care for ALPA National, and the beauty of it all is that I don't have to justify myself to you or anyone else.

You're a better man than me.

I was just trying to understand if there was any reason not to vote for a union, but I understand if you have personal issues you dont want to discuss that leads you to that conclusion. Good luck.

Jetblue has made a lot of mistakes but you have to admit it has done a really good job socially engineering the pilot group here.

I'm 55, I have way north of the 3miilion you quote and a mil retirement to boot and I can tell you it won't be enough. I'm not a big spender, don't have the CA house, one car, take a reasonably fun vacation once a year. Couple of kids. Live very middle class. The funds I have would not be attainable by any 30 year old saving money at JB. If all you want to do in retirement is live by the river and fish I guess it would be enough. But Uncle Sam is coming after the money. He will soon drive up inflation and tax to the point that brings me back to the middle and drives the poorer folks up to the middle. JB is not the place to come unless you want to retire in TENN and fish down at the river (no slam on anyone from the Volunteer state)

Have to disagree, it's all about priorities. First of all 3m would easily give you 120k a year without ever touching your principle plus your military retirement. I am 34 with over 200k in retirement personally and have only made 100k 1 year in the 16 years I have been earning a living in this profession. Start early pay off your debt and stay that way and its easy to do and save for a kids college. It has not been easy street either 3 furloughs, 2 flight departments shut down. Just avoid the divorce and we should be fine. Thank you Dave Ramsey... Again its all about priorities..

Chairman

Jetblue has made a lot of mistakes but you have to admit it has done a really good job socially engineering the pilot group here.

In business, you work with what you have; not what you want. After 9-11 pilots had no leverage. Now we do intact we hold most of the cards.

Latest resources

Back