Jetblue Pilots Beware

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bluejuice787

Recently the company released a document explaining the bidding process of the E190. The document explains the virtues of a percentage bid (allows you to bid what percentage you want to be rather than all or nothing). It seems to be a great idea. The document also explains the “lock in” and “fence” for the AC. The fence begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on October 1, 2007. The company is awarding 120 vacancies for E190 CA to close May 15, 2005. The fence prevents the pilots from bidding between AC for two years. The equipment lock in prevents you from changing seat or equipment for two years from your check ride. The author suggests that there will typically be 8 to 12 vacancies per month on the A320 for the foreseeable future (the inference being and average of 10 per month).

A little background: jetBlue Airways currently employs approximately 1000 pilots. 500 CAs and 500 FOs. Present junior A320 CAs can expect to remain about a year on reserve. This time increases linearly as we grow. We are receiving 16 A320 per year with a staffing of 6 crew per AC per the bid document.

Potential bid scenario: If you are a current (read: on property) junior FO there is a high probability that you will be unable to hold EMB190 CA when the 120 vacancies close on May 15. The fence now prohibits you from bidding future vacancies until October 1, 2007. Ah but wait, a new hire junior to anyone currently on property can bid as soon as any vacancy comes available. The company plans to start training the first 20 or so to be check airmen early summer with regular classes beginning late summer to complete the 120 by early 2006. Those early pilots will fulfill their lock in before the fence and as such will be allowed to bid A320 CA October 1, 2007.

The problem: 16 AC per year @ 6 crews per AC=96 CAs /12 months = 8 per month, not 10. This was, in my opinion, intentionally misleading. So here is what will likely happen…You are locked out of E190 CA but told your time to A320 will be much quicker. Not so if you are junior. What I and others envision is that just when you are a few months shy of upgrading to A320 it will be October 1, 2007. Perfect timing for the senior guys that have been hanging out as E190 CAs to bid over to the A320 to hold a line. Making a realistic time to E190 CA more that three years and A320 four to five for the junior guys. All of this because the company wants to claim a 10 month time to CA for new hires because the pay is very low. The company is kind enough to allow the junior guys to subsidies this.

The author of the document states some concerns that were discussed during the construction of the bid process. On of those concerns was this: “Why is there so much concern for the new hire pilot at the expense of the career opportunity of the existing jetBlue pilot?” Answer: “We feel this strategy reflects our values and is in keeping with the input of our line pilots…” Whos values are those? What line pilots suggested the fence knowing that new hires would be afforded opportunities before existing pilots? I think a fence was suggested but I never heard anything about allowing future vacancies to be denied to current pilots.

Part 2

If you are upset about this and you are junior or not I suggest that you PLEASE let the values committee know how you feel. They will be meeting with senior mgt. soon to discuss many issues including those of the junior. This seems to be another invitation for a union. The only thing we have at an airline is our seniority. To allow the company to abrogate seniority at their whim is very dangerous.

:

And I'm sure everthing is just "peachie" at your flying circus,too,eh?.......:rolleyes: PHXFLYR:cool:

This post was only written to inform other jetBlue pilots of an internal issue. Yes, jetBlue has them just like everyone else. I will be the first to say we have one of the best mgt. teams in the industry but we are human.

bluejuice787 said:
Part 2

This seems to be another invitation for a union......The only thing we have at an airline is our seniority. To allow the company to abrogate seniority at their whim is very dangerous.

:

Without a union and a legally binding contract they can do anything they want at their whim anytime they want. You guys are still in the managment/employee kum-ba-ya honeymoon. I think as soon as their is any hick-up in the business plan they will do a cram down on you guys so fast you won't be able to say ALPA....

Hopefully we will never say ALPA, but inhouse.

Not about to further fund Mr. Worthless life style!

Oh, btw, jetblue pilots have a legally binding contract!

Dizel8 said:
Oh, btw, jetblue pilots have a legally binding contract!

That's news to me, I didn't realize you had a PWA. What does it say about scope, successorship, training locks and seniority rights, new aircraft pay and work rules? Who enforces your Pilot Working Agreement? How are grievances resolved?

How would things change if the fence went up for 3-4 years versus 2? I am sure some new MBA might get a promotion for implementing that.

Latest resources

Back