Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue pilots begin organization drive...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When September and October came around, the entire pilot group got hit with less flying hours; my schedule was only 73 hours in September and 76 in October. So in one month, a junior Captain sitting on reserve got more money than I did. A legacy carrier with a union would have furloughed so that the senior guys would "hold the line" and get their minimum guaranteed hours. It's not a battle of haves and have-nots. We forget sometimes that we're all on the same team. I'm glad the 190 guys got a raise, they deserved it. Would it have been nice if our side of the house got one too. Yes. But in the middle of Return to Profitability (without wage cuts mind you), if it takes a little patience from our pilots who were hired for their outstanding credentials and potential (unless they smoked and mirrored their way in), then let there be some patience, some calm, to this process. David and Dave spoke today in LGB. They admit to the fact that maybe the PCG was a mistake during RTP. But they addressed the low pay scale on the 190 and are looking into the future package for the 320. You have to trust them. If they didn't trust you guys, they could have easily quit and left for something else with their success story. And, yes, it is a success story. Many of you weren't around post 9/11 at this airline. I remember flying with 8 passengers on board. The airline was a mere year and a half old. We were staring at failure of another upstart airline. But we pulled through it, and we did it with the leadership of David and Dave. That's the fact, and many of you also weren't around when A-320 captains made $78/hour and F/Os $43 either. When did our raise come, retroactively? A couple of months after 9/11... right at the time the other airlines started furloughing in droves...

Blue bayou,

Great post! I share your perspective on the recent pilot road shows at JB and the overall perspective of where B6 was just a few years ago and how far it has come. I have been at B6 for a little over a year. I was with an ALPA carrier before and guess what.... I watched my pay and benefits go down the tubes year after year. Work rules deteriorated to the point where I started questioning wether or not I should stay in the industry. Our so called "contract" was ripped apart in just a few months while ALPA was too busy protecting the "bigger" carriers. I think we have a lot of guys at B6 that don't realy understatnd the full impact of having a union like ALPA represent us. The truth is that no matter what people say about the B6 management it has proven itself in several instances. During my short time at JB I have seen efforts made and actions taken by the management, such as holiday double pay, increased junior-man pay, some RSV improvements, 190 bonus pay, 190 CA/FO pay increases, 401K match increase, PTO increase etc.... all this in a matter of months. If ALPA was on the property none of this would have happened, it would have taken at least a couple of years to get maybe half of what we got in a few months.

A lot of JB pilots are in panic mode right now, and in my opinion they are overreacting. Everyone needs to calm down a bit and put things into perspective, and maybe in a few months re-visit the issue. I personally like working at JB, I have been treated fairly from top to bottom and I will continue to give management the benefit of the doubt for at least a little while longer. Do I want higher pay? YOU BET, do I want more 401K match? YOU BET, do I want better RSV and work rules? YOU BET, do I want the company to survive? YOU BET.....ALPA is NOT the way to get any of that, I guarantee it!

Blue bayou,

During my short time at JB I have seen efforts made and actions taken by the management, such as holiday double pay, increased junior-man pay, some RSV improvements, 190 bonus pay, 190 CA/FO pay increases, 401K match increase, PTO increase etc.... all this in a matter of months. If ALPA was on the property none of this would have happened, it would have taken at least a couple of years to get maybe half of what we got in a few months.

All great stuff, definitely not a bad thing. However go back and read my previous post on page 4...all that plus more can be wiped out overnight with an increase in, say healthcare premiums...gotta look at the whole picture. I wish you guys luck with whatever you choose.

All great stuff, definitely not a bad thing. However go back and read my previous post on page 4...all that plus more can be wiped out overnight with an increase in, say healthcare premiums...gotta look at the whole picture. I wish you guys luck with whatever you choose.

Good point! and I certainly don't like healthcare premiums going up. But how in the world is ALPA or any other union lower my healthcare premiums?

By the way I'm happy to see you guys get pay raises and contract improvements, you deserve it!, however, you can't really compare the ALPA representation you guys have with the one JB would get. Yours would always be stronger...hands down...after all your dues are much higher and more important to ALPA.

Last edited:
Good point! and I certainly don't like healthcare premiums going up. But how in the world is ALPA or any other union lower my healthcare premiums?

I believe the term is 'Collective Bargaining Agreement.'

The RLA is a pain in the ass, but it's better than what management can do to you without a contract...if they ever decide they want to.

And before you say: 'look what happened to the lecacy carriers even with representation,' ask youself how bad it would have been without it.

Last edited:
Then how about... are you guys still cleaning the airplane between flights? Is that way past dead also? :D

BBB

From the JB site...
• When working or traveling on JetBlue flights, and if time permits, all capable Crewmembers are asked to assist with light cleaning of the aircraft

From the JB site...

If I went to dine at a restaurant and caught the chef scrubbing the toilet or mopping up in between preparing meals I'd bolt on the spot! Perhaps the B6 clientele are less discriminating? :rolleyes:

BBB

Yeah, I'm sure swapa and apa are loosing sleep everynight since alpa is not on their properties.

They are not losing sleep cause when they need financial data in section 6 they call ALPA and get the info they need to negotiate their contracts....

SWA pilots dont seem to need representation. They have a management team that has things humming and is willing to pay for peace. But remember when you're at the top of the pile you make a better target!

In the long run like 'em or not bigger unions have bigger war chest. With 66,000 chipping in 2% they should be!

Ummm, ever heard of SWAPA?

Latest resources

Back