Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue pilots begin organization drive...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's some outside the box thinking for you.....

What if Jb really wants 300-400 people to return to their former airlines?

They have slowed growth. The pilots that would be leaving are the vocal ones about a union. They are farther up the seniority list, so they make a higher wage. They brought in their experience, many of them airbus guys, and allowed the company to expand rapidly.

Now, the company doesnt quite need to expand so fast, so fo's with little or no airbus time will have longer times in the right seat to gain that. The guys that upgrade to replace the ones that left will be at a lower payscale and probably happy to upgrade now sooner than later.
Most of the union talk will leave with the same individuals that obviously didnt want to be there anyways.

The cost of training new fo's is less than what the pilots were hoping to receive so maybe that was a factor as well.

Just some thoughts.....

To further pile onto Lowcur's lack of understanding of the industry:

There's a reason why every major airline (except JB) and just about every regional/small jet carrier has unionized pilot groups -- it's needed to defend against management abuse. And considering that the majority of pilots tend to be Republicans that says a lot.

I think what we need to organize first is our thoughts. Lets clear the spittle of our chins from all the ranting (and you were wondering why everyone within hearing distance was covering their face), and calm down a little. Nobody ever got anywhere by ranting, except on this message board....

If we had a union, we would be in talks for years to get what the E-190 guys got for a raise. Better yet, how many airlines are giving raises at this time-- ah lets count them, ZERO!!! A unionized airline would have furloughed about 100 pilots this past September/October with the reduction in flight hours. No union thus far has retained anything as far as pay, benefits, pensions, or work rules for many of your so called "Legacy" carriers-- thanks, I'd rather keep my 2-3 percent than give it to those weak "live to fight another day" folks who are supposedly defending our way of life, RIGHT!!! They've done nothing but collapse to company demands time and time again...

If we had a union, we would be in talks for years to get what the E-190 guys got for a raise. Better yet, how many airlines are giving raises at this time-- ah lets count them, ZERO!!! A unionized airline would have furloughed about 100 pilots this past September/October with the reduction in flight hours. No union thus far has retained anything as far as pay, benefits, pensions, or work rules for many of your so called "Legacy" carriers-- thanks, I'd rather keep my 2-3 percent than give it to those weak "live to fight another day" folks who are supposedly defending our way of life, RIGHT!!! They've done nothing but collapse to company demands time and time again...

Does JetBlue care about attracting "quality" pilots going forward? If so, actions need to speak louder than words... I know of two current JetBlue pilots who are seriously considering returning to Netjets - as FOs on Citations.

In the meantime, the "quality" pilots will be looking at SWA, UPS, Fedex and some of the legacies that have or will restart their hiring soon instead of JetBlue. Is that something JetBlue wants or will be proud of going forward? Doubt it. It's all about SIGNAL VALUE and messaging to the pilot community...

Last edited:

Let me guess...you're an A320 captain who is not on reserve.

GP

Keep sucking that kool-aid bud! Everything's going be just fine for ya

Speak for yourself. You sure don't speak for me, and I'm probably senior to you. All I know is that I've gotten a continuous 15% pay cut over the last five years, we're far past the startup stage, and we have no voice at all as to the content of our own contracts. We have just been kicked in the balls and you want to take a wait and see attitude? What would it take for you to take matters into your own hands? It's already been shown that management CANNOT be relied upon to "do the right thing" with regards to pilot pay. It would not have taken much, even a COLA increase would have been something. Instead we got zip and a shell game changing our benefits around. Wake up!

BTW, your rant vs. Legacy unions is apples and oranges. There was a great deal of fat in those contracts and the industry was in crisis. We on the other hand are the most productive and least paid pilots in the industry. These is no fat to trim and we're due for just a little consideration for the effort, not to mention some mechanism for at least some input to the process. Right now we have squat and it's been shown in convincing fashion that that's no longer an adequate situation.

Last edited:
There will probably be a vote to bring ALPA in, but I doubt anyone really believes they will do anything but fracture whatever relationship is left, and give you 2 cents on your dollar investment. My guess is mgt will have a road show to try and head off the inevitable, but I think an in house will eventually emerge. Some questions to ponder:
  • Has Jetblue Mgt done a good job the last few years? No, they have anticipated poorly, and failed to recognize problems before they emerged. Neeleman believed they were immune to high fuel prices. He got bad advice.
  • Are they on the right track now? They seem to be, but we won't really know until about the middle of 2007.
  • Have they put their own compensation ahead of other employee groups? No.
  • If the pilot group deserves a raise, what percentage are we talking about and what will it cost the company of the projected $150M profit next year?
  • Is a private equity takeover a good thing? Yes, I think it is. It allows mgt to spend their time managing instead of doing whatever it takes to get the stock price moving. It's been suggested that mgt spends 60% of their time coddling the investors with public promotion and doing all the paperwork involved to keep the SEC happy. As a caveat, I have no knowledge of any possible buyout...it's all speculation on my part.
:pimp:​

Latest resources

Back