• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cheeta

[email protected]
For IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
November 12, 2008

JetBlue pilots file petition with NMB for sole bargaining agent representation
(New York) – JetBlue Pilots Association officials today filed a petition with the National Mediation Board (NMB) to gain recognition as the sole bargaining agent for the nearly 2,000 pilots of JetBlue. Pilot association leaders said they are seeking formal recognition in order to provide career protections for their pilots in a positive way that will help “redefine pilot-labor relations in our industry.”

“We have complete faith in our current company leadership and believe that this will be a cooperative effort,” JetBlue Pilots Association leaders Captains Michael Sorbie and William Evans said in a joint statement. “As our airline matures, we want to ensure that the career expectations of our pilots will remain intact regardless of organizational changes. We welcome the opportunity to communicate concerns through a voice that is supported by the lawful process of the Railway Labor Act. This process also provides a stability and cost certainty that will be beneficial to our company as we grow into the future.”

Association leaders provided advance notice of the intent to file the petition to both CEO David Barger and the JetBlue Board of Directors, indicating the type of relationship that exists today and confirming the type of direction that should be expected in the future.

“Our desire to seek formal recognition underscores our need to have a relationship based not only on the benevolence of a leadership team that could transition at any time, but on a relationship where there exists a means to resolve our private discourses under the support of legal process,” Capt. Sorbie said.

The NMB soon will begin the steps toward a request for an election and representation authorization. JetBlue Pilots Association leaders are proposing an independent organization and are not seeking association with any third party national union.

Amen, brother. Good for them, I say.

Welcome to the fight.

Hypocritical morons.

Everyone at JB was hired knowing gawd-damn well it was a non union shop.

Barger is the best CEO in the industry who voluntarily took a 50% pay cut to lead by example.

Waah. Waah. Waah. I want. I want. I want.

I wonder how many JB pilots go to work asking themselves:

"What can I do TODAY to add value to this operation?"

Instead most of them bitch and moan, piss and whine about "how bad things are". The economy is going right down the toilet and JB pilots are thinking that a union/third party orgization will improve things.

JB pilots SHOULD be going to Barger, Chew and Ross and say: "Look! The economy is taking a BIG SH*T. We are here to help. What do you need US to do, so WE can all make sure that JetBlue survives and thrives? What tools can WE, the PILOT GROUP provide to management so we survive and thrive?"

Show some true leadership and maybe the rest of the crewmembers will actually respect you as a leader.

That's what should get done, but it won't. Too many JetBlue pilots are typical born-and-bred American dopes that think you can get something for nothing.

Maybe the time has come for a union at JB.

Recall that when JB came into the airline business with A320 pay rates far below the industry standard, it seemed to be just a matter of time before the pilot group would expect more.

With all the new growth happening at JB, it is not surprising to expect the pilots to want more of their fair share. Organizing is the right step to begin the process.

Barger is the best CEO in the industry who voluntarily took a 50% pay cut to lead by example.

Barger took a 25% pay cut not a 50% pay cut. But this was after his pay raise.
His pay cut was announced as a 50% cut for the last 6 months of 2008.

I`m one of the many JB pilots who don`t want a union- I sure hope the majority still feels the way i do.

So status quo - a continuous deterioration of pay, benefits, and working conditions - is OK for the foreseeable future? I for one am not clamoring for more, I'm just tired of stuff we already have being taken away overnight.

I don't feel to bad for Mr. Barger living in his 25 million dollar condo at the Plaza. His salary is not how he got the cushy pad, it was stock and bonus money that got him there. Pilots that believe that they company will do the right thing are fools. Perhaps people like kummutrdog should take a pay cut to feel better about themselves.

Latest resources

Back