• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue or UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, but fortune tellers and ouiji boards aren't as interesting....

She got hired at United with very low time and experience.

GP

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, she was a really low timer that fit in perfectly with our hiring culture back then. She will not be missed.

Marty

She got hired at United with very low time and experience.

GP

Not only that she used to rag on all the guys who worked at commuters about how she "fits" in at UAL even though she had 325TT! She use to be on the old Compuserve forums I think it was called AVSIG back then.

I am GLAD she is no longer working at UAL. I hope a bunch more of the Wonder Children leave as well!

Can we state a few facts about airlines?

First you are hired and given a number.....this number drives everything about your career. Upgrade, payscale, schedules, vacation, and furlough.

Second, once you resign, you are gone. There is no coming back, except at the bottom of the list.

Last. I can say that this pilot.....has to be of at least average intelligence. Any airline pilot of low intelligence knows once they resign, they resign. There is no coming back, no appeal to ALPA, no appeal to anyone.

The fact that you buy into the fact that she would ask the union for her job and number back when they cannot under any circumstances grant her request, even if they wanted to, makes me shout BS on this one.

If she doesn't like it here at B6, she sure has a funny way of showing it.

Sorry for the thread creep.....

A350

I don't know anything about the Luge pilot. Her decision was not a bad one at the time under difficult circumstances. Now it looks like the move was not optimal. If I was her and saw a shot to reverse that decision, I probably would too. I won't throw spears.

Back to the topic at hand---If the bypass is no risk, as in the only risk is a couple of more years until another call back, take the job at JetBlue. Trade up to SWA, Airtran, Alaska, Virgin America if possilble before the next recall opportunity.

When do you have to be recalled by to keep your seniority number?

How does your current income now compare to going back to UAL or starting again on first year pay? The longer you bypass the more likely you are to get widebody and avoid the long seat lock on narrowbody.

Lost pay between recalls is a big deal when compared to first year pay at any of your other airline options. If the pay differential is too much to bear go back to UAL now, get the narrowbody seat lock and pray for the best. Something I can say now that I couldn't 2 years ago is--UAL is not going away anytime soon.

Last edited:
The fact that you buy into the fact that she would ask the union for her job and number back when they cannot under any circumstances grant her request, even if they wanted to, makes me shout BS on this one.

A350

This is America.

People think they are entitled to things that they are not on a regular basis and seem to have no qualms asking for said things.

Had a little private conversation....there was NO letter.

I'll eat a little crow when required. Might not be required here.

Anyone who can compete at an Olympic level probably has personality with some STRONG edges. Not everyone digs those types. Then again--not everyone finds fighter pilots cuddly, but I have quite a few that are lifelong friends.

If you hated her at United--you got your wish--she ain't there. She won't be back. Instead of being PO'd, however--you ought to say "thanks...", as everyone moved up a number when she left. (Come to think of it, I wish about 1000 Fedex captains would leave to make a statement too!...maybe that MD11 Capt job wouldn't be so far away...)

Great Advice Albie,
But I gotta call ya out on the selling of assets rumor I keep hearing. Man that rumor has spun out of control. UAL has $5.1BILLION dollars with $4.2Billion in unrestricted cash...Compare that to any other legacy and were not doing so bad. I'm not saying every thing's peachy king but our cash reserves has increased every quarter. Not your classic cash flow problem.

Oh well food for thought in the guy's decision making process, but I do agree on your points about working conditions, pay , possible mergers, ect. But our MEC is aggressively pursuing those area's so I guess time will tell.

Regards

Koko
Not hard to accumulate that kind of cash when you don't contribute to pensions any more and pay the rates they advertise now!. As for the MEC pursuing things, history has proven they will take care of themselves,,,again!
Mergers/aquisitions....that will be up to Wall Street and only Wall Street!

Latest resources

Back