Jetblue: Lateral Move For Regional Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, then let's do away with the 1st year pay:

My 6th year JetBlue pay as Capt A320 $127/hour up to 70 hours and $190/hour after 70 hours. I AVERAGE $15K/month. How many legacies pay that in your 6th year?

Even with slowing deliveries, JetBlue is a growing airline and the opportunities to upgrade are much quicker than at most legacies. Most legacies are in negative growth mode. For example, NWA is parking aircraft and not replacing the DC-9 with mainline aircraft but rather Compass, Pinnicle, and Mesaba leased aircraft instead.

There is no question that current 320 CA's have it made at JetBlue. The problem is the time current FO's will be FO's or be very junior CA's not being able to take advantage of premium pay. An FO hired today at JetBlue probably won't see a 320 CA slot for at least 6 years and then sit reserve for another 4. Just announced 3 more 320 sales so that is probably about right. CAL and DAL are both growing legacies. Upgrades at CAL are about 2-3 years in EWR. Upgrades at DAL will probably be around 3-4 in NYC. The FO pay at both of those carriers is better after year 1 pay and the long term career compensation with wide-body pay is much better than you can make at JetBlue. It's no longer 2002 and people now have options. If your in the top 500 at JetBlue, you have one of the best domestic jobs out there. If your not, other options are beginning to look a little better.

Didn't work at the regionals but did work at Jetblue. Probably not too much different from my viewpoint. There are definitely much better places to be....

My 6th year JetBlue pay as Capt A320 $127/hour up to 70 hours and $190/hour after 70 hours. I AVERAGE $15K/month. How many legacies pay that in your 6th year?

Even with slowing deliveries, JetBlue is a growing airline and the opportunities to upgrade are much quicker than at most legacies. Most legacies are in negative growth mode. For example, NWA is parking aircraft and not replacing the DC-9 with mainline aircraft but rather Compass, Pinnicle, and Mesaba leased aircraft instead.

Spetre:
I'm guessing that the folks hiring on now will easily see 6th yr cpt. at DAL. 6th yr captain pay on the M88 is $131/hr. We aren't hiring for attirition, but for growth. New a/c coming for the forseeable future. Also, was told by the CP's office they are upping the hiring to 75/month.
It will most likely be like it was back 10 yrs ago where 2 yr captains at DAL were part of the norm.
JB is slowing its growth plan.
How long for a current new hire (hired today) to be upgraded to 320 Capt?
I'm just curious..........

My math shows you average over 102 credit hours a month. Are you including your per diem?

I find it funny how people make fun of a company that is only 7 years young, competing with the other carriers (legacy, national, or whatever else you may call them), and expect JB to have industry leading pay and benefits at this point in their history. Time has shown that the pay has increased (on more than one occasion), and that people seem to like the culture at JB. It's not for everyone, but then again, what place is? And because they don't have a union, they tend to get berated by people on these boards. Show me the perfect airline, please. What's really sad is that we have pilots bashing pilots........no one is crossing any picket lines, and everyone is doing the same job, trying to help their company survive. Lighten up, people! You have way too much time on your hands.

Spetre:
I'm guessing that the folks hiring on now will easily see 6th yr cpt. at DAL. 6th yr captain pay on the M88 is $131/hr. We aren't hiring for attirition, but for growth. New a/c coming for the forseeable future. Also, was told by the CP's office they are upping the hiring to 75/month.
It will most likely be like it was back 10 yrs ago where 2 yr captains at DAL were part of the norm.
JB is slowing its growth plan.
How long for a current new hire (hired today) to be upgraded to 320 Capt?
I'm just curious..........

Long, long time.

I find it funny how people make fun of a company that is only 7 years young, competing with the other carriers (legacy, national, or whatever else you may call them), and expect JB to have industry leading pay and benefits at this point in their history. Time has shown that the pay has increased (on more than one occasion), and that people seem to like the culture at JB. It's not for everyone, but then again, what place is? And because they don't have a union, they tend to get berated by people on these boards. Show me the perfect airline, please. What's really sad is that we have pilots bashing pilots........no one is crossing any picket lines, and everyone is doing the same job, trying to help their company survive. Lighten up, people! You have way too much time on your hands.

"Industry leading pay and benefits". Man,am I getting sick of that term. Anyone care to define what exactly that is nowadays?

PHXFLYR:cool:

Fact check...Lear 70 SWA upgrades are not approaching the 10 year mark. Maybe 7 yrs...Back to the JB topic!!!!
To my understanding, that's incorrect.

People upgrading NOW, this month, have 6+ years seniority.

Pilots who are HIRED and started class this month as new-hires, with attrition and scheduled aircraft deliveries, are looking at 10+ years.

That information comes from friends who work there and were hired last year... They're paying pretty close attention for their own career plans.

And how long will a 2-3yr Captain at CAL or DAL sit reserve? Oh yeah, CAL first year pay was $29hr before 9/11.

As for a lateral move from a regional. Where else can you go where you dont take a paycut in the begining?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back