• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue: Lateral Move For Regional Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JetBlue EMB190 wages are regional wages. Ofcourse the whole friggin industry is descending into one big regional abyss.

What's going on at Jetblue is a full-on anti-union campaign initiated by management, guided by Ford and Harrison, and supported by a group of senior pilots or salaried folks who don't want the gravy train to end.
It doesn't take a math major to figure out why your attrition is through the roof.
Why don't you have Ford and Harrison help you better define your values so you can understand why your health care went from being average to worst of class.
Go back and check out some of those surveys and tell me you aren't getting worked over.
What's truly mystifying is the number of PILOTS who buy it and sell it like it was holy water.
I was there and I can tell you that "Spin" is definately the unspoken value.

Why is going to a major airline a lateral move?

I will tell you why. In the "old" days, a pilot could be counted to work for a regional (commuter) carrier. When the opportunity to move up to the major carrier presented itself, it usually meant a payraise. Further, if it didn't, the loss of pay would be quickly recouped even under the auspices of the B scale.

Enter the world we live in now. We have regional airlines flying jets. Jets that are so large that they command payscales that amount to drastic paycuts for most regional pilots when they step "up" to the majors first year pay.

Sniping at JB though is just a personal thing. CAL first year pay is half what JB is. While the CAL pay quickly catches up it, complaining that JB is lowering the bar is the pot calling the kettle black.

I take it we won't see you wearing the blue. Good luck where you do decide to go.

A350

Well, I think I can speak with a great deal of authority on this subject. I worked at Comair for 6 years, and was a Captain on the CRJ for three of them. I worked for JetBlue for about a year and a half (flying the Bus). While I've since moved on to a much better gig, I don't think your post is accurate in the least. I'd that JB certainly isn't comparable in a lot of ways to the "real majors" (i.e. the ones actually hiring). But compared to my regional experience, I can state with absolute certainty that it was ten times better than being a Captain at a regional airline. The pay is ok to start (not abysmal like a regional), the benefits are pretty lame, but the schedule and quality of life are great. And while there is certainly a real need for union organization at JetBlue, it was still a good job and I was glad to have it.

If you really did work for JetBlue (and didn't get passed over for Phase 2), I can't believe you think it was a lateral move. I guess you didn't fly to Aruba or Bermuda like I did. Were you one of the guys who took the job, finished ground school, and bolted with your 9000 stock options before you really flew the line?

"Sniping at JB though is just a personal thing. CAL first year pay is half what JB is. While the CAL pay quickly catches up it, complaining that JB is lowering the bar is the pot calling the kettle black."

Yes this guy(original post author) is an idiot, but your math is a little fuzzy. Your starting pay $47, CAL's $31. Don't forget while u r throwing out first year pays. UPS $33, NWA $30, UAL $32, US Air $25.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back