• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue: Lateral Move For Regional Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a former CMR RJ Captain and now I'm a JetBlue Airbus FO. Not even close. JetBlue is a way better gig. Apples to oranges.

I'm a former CMR RJ Captain and now I'm a JetBlue Airbus FO. Not even close. JetBlue is a way better gig. Apples to oranges.

So what didn't you like about Mesa?

Congratulations on getting on at JBLU. In 5 years, when you are still an EMB-180 FO, you will be raking in $58 bucks an hour.

If you need an investment banker to help you stash away your fortune, I will be happy to recommend one.

Maybe "lateral" was a bit of an exaggeration but "stepping stone" is a true statement for many FO's who've been there and for many who will follow.
They're losing over 100 pilots a year to other airlines.
My guess is Jetblue will only be a stopping point for a large percentage of new-hires.
It's only a career airline for the top 400 and if they get bought, those guys will be career FO's like the rest of the airline.
Guy's can't even give blue darts away anymore and I've heard that military pilots aren't even applying anymore.
Don't take my word for it. If you don't believe me, go spend a few years there and you'll see.
They're hiring straight from the open houses so it shouldn't be too hard to go see for yourselves.
Why am I being such a "hater" and pointing this out?
Well, if this is a web-site who's original purpose was to help pilots find airline careers then I guess this might just be considered friendly advice for those with their sights set a little higher. I'm telling my friends this, so why shouldn't I post it here?
In my case, the Jetblue I was told about in indoc was a completely different place in reality and I would not have spent the two years that I did there if I had known that. I did not have a good Jetblue experience.
But I guess we're supposed to keep these things to ourselves so we don't hurt any fragile egos.

In my case, the Jetblue I was told about in indoc was a completely different place in reality and I would not have spent the two years that I did there if I had known that.

Even though I liked the time I spent at JetBlue, I'll agree with the above statement. The cool-aid that flows at the open houses and at JetBlue U is good stuff. If you do go to JetBlue, just realize that once you are out of the schoolhouse you still work for an airline that has schedulers, has IROP's, has issues like every other airline, and also has employees that can be less than pleasant some days. It's still just an airline in the end, but probably better than most regional gigs if you can deal with the JFK commute.

Even though I liked the time I spent at JetBlue, I'll agree with the above statement. The cool-aid that flows at the open houses and at JetBlue U is good stuff. If you do go to JetBlue, just realize that once you are out of the schoolhouse you still work for an airline that has schedulers, has IROP's, has issues like every other airline, and also has employees that can be less than pleasant some days. It's still just an airline in the end, but probably better than most regional gigs if you can deal with the JFK commute.

Plus, you have to deal with flying in and out of JFK all the time if you are based there. That would drive me crazy...... I have a former regional buddy who flies the E190 at JB - he says the routes remind him of his regional days (especially the IAD-JFK-BOS shuttle over and over again). The Airbus offers better variety. Hey, no airline is perfect, but people should be aware of what they are getting into before interviewing.

I don't think SWA is much better in terms of routes/schedule - sure, you make great money and you have some transcon flights now and then to break up the monotony, but you are primarily flying shorter hops multiple times per day (a la regional flying). I do that every day for my regional - no way I want to continue doing that for the rest of my career.....

Last edited:
JetBlue EMB190 wages are regional wages. Ofcourse the whole friggin industry is descending into one big regional abyss.

Thanks to our friends of course at JBLU and AAI...now don't come back and tell me the legacies are lower pay you forget before 9/11 we were much higher...it always goes to the lowest common denominator. Keep draggin us down and now the advent Skybus and Virgin America...what a shame

SWA-you work hard. Paid very well. Ave 16-18 days off. Sounds like a winning combination to me. I don't care if you fly regional routes or transcon. It is quite simply a great place to work.

I see it takes posting the first year pay of bankrupt airlines to make JBLU look palatable.

Anyone want to compare the pay, benefits, and retirement of solvent airlines like SWA, AA, UPS etc. to JBLU? How about advancement opportunities?

OK, then let's do away with the 1st year pay:

My 6th year JetBlue pay as Capt A320 $127/hour up to 70 hours and $190/hour after 70 hours. I AVERAGE $15K/month. How many legacies pay that in your 6th year?

Even with slowing deliveries, JetBlue is a growing airline and the opportunities to upgrade are much quicker than at most legacies. Most legacies are in negative growth mode. For example, NWA is parking aircraft and not replacing the DC-9 with mainline aircraft but rather Compass, Pinnicle, and Mesaba leased aircraft instead.

Fact check...Lear 70 SWA upgrades are not approaching the 10 year mark. Maybe 7 yrs...Back to the JB topic!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back