Jetblue: Lateral Move For Regional Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Splinter,

Did you just finish one of those 5 day trips that had a 3-leg 14 hour duty day with the last leg being a red-eye? Those can make anyone feel as irritated as you sound. At least you don't have to deal with ALPA stopping the company from building such productive trips.

Let me make a prediction about how I think things will progress:
1. Legacies will rapidly recover previous pay/benefits.
2. Jetblue will be rightly classified as LCC with low pay/benefits and serious vulnerabilities.
3. Jetblue will be set upon by legacies.
4. Non-union pilots will scramble for union protection at the very last minute.

1. I seriously doubt.
2. Already there.
3. Already there, still making money, for now.
4. Looking into it already.

I like your numer 1, though. Just don't think it will play out that way.

1. I seriously doubt.
2. Already there.
3. Already there, still making money, for now.
4. Looking into it already.

I like your numer 1, though. Just don't think it will play out that way.
It won't be "rapid", but the Legacies WILL recapture a large portion of their pay and at least some of the work rules and will continue to be hard to compare jetBlue in terms of career earnings and opportunities.

JB is a great place, I just don't think it will ever be a CAL, much less a FDX or UPS.

It won't be "rapid", but the Legacies WILL recapture a large portion of their pay and at least some of the work rules and will continue to be hard to compare jetBlue in terms of career earnings and opportunities.

JB is a great place, I just don't think it will ever be a CAL, much less a FDX or UPS.

I hope your right, it would be a refreshing change.

It won't because it's an LCC. CAL will also never be a FDX or UPS. Neither will DAL or any of the other legacies. That is the reason why people are leaving JetBlue. They want to work for something other than an LCC. I didn't leave because it was a bad place to work, I left because I wanted to work for a legacy and not commute.

On a side not, if DAL makes an operating margin of 9% in 2007 and 2008 (they are forecast to make more than that), the hourly rates will go up a total of 12% by Jan 1 2009. By Dec 31 2009 they will be up by 13%. That would make 2nd yr 737 pay about $85/hr and 737 CA pay would top out at about $172/hr. I know two years doesn't seem rapid to some, but that isn't bad money in about two years. That's closing back in on SWA rates.

Last edited:
It won't because it's an LCC. CAL will also never be a FDX or UPS. Neither will DAL or any of the other legacies. That is the reason why people are leaving JetBlue. They want to work for something other than an LCC. I didn't leave because it was a bad place to work, I left because I wanted to work for a legacy and not commute.
I could care less about whether my airline is classified as a LCC or Legacy, I care about stability, long-term survival, pay, time off, and benefits.

Everyone has different objectives, but I doubt the senior CA's at JB will make a jump anywhere,,, even to a CAL or FDX. They're too established and happy with what they have. Which may be one of the reasons why applications at the Legacies aren't reaching the huge numbers we saw in the last late 90's hiring curve...

On a side not, if DAL makes an operating margin of 9% in 2007 and 2008 (they are forecast to make more than that), the hourly rates will go up a total of 12% by Jan 1 2009. By Dec 31 2009 they will be up by 13%. That would make 2nd yr 737 pay about $85/hr and 737 CA pay would top out at about $172/hr. I know two years doesn't seem rapid to some, but that isn't bad money in about two years. That's closing back in on SWA rates.
DAL would make a great career, as would CAL.

AMR will be hiring next year and would probably be a decent move as well. Still not sure about NWA or UAL, and I'd write UAir off completely unless you wanted to be an F/O for about 15 years.

Lear 70,

I'm with you 100%. I think those who are leaving Jetblue are doing so because it means not commuting into JFK for most of them. I also think UAL would be a good place to work if you live in one of the hubs. If you live in BOS or within an hour of JFK, JetBlue is a great place to go work.

Lear 70,

I'm with you 100%. I think those who are leaving Jetblue are doing so because it means not commuting into JFK for most of them. I also think UAL would be a good place to work if you live in one of the hubs. If you live in BOS or within an hour of JFK, JetBlue is a great place to go work.

They're not gonna treat you as good as JetBlue though. Something to think about. But if JetBlue's longetivity scares you then not a good place for you.

Latest resources

Back