• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jetBlue hires Freedom types!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WN won't hire scabs? I've wanted to work for them for a while but now I want to even more. Sitting to the right of one of those scumbag Freedom motherfu(kers is a situation I do not want to ever put myself in. 31 years until retirement and that list will be with me until the last day.

WN must have changed thier policy to not hire scabs recently, because I know for a fact the guy who ran the airplane off the end of the runway in Burbank was a Wein Scab.

You're correct, he was. And all this talk about WN not hiring scabs is hearsay that everyone here has taken as fact. I'd like to hear it from a reputable source, and no, none of us are all that reputable as far as this stuff goes.

>>>I meant no disrespect in the question<<<

The question was:

>>>I heard you Jet Blue pilots have to help clean the airplane (including the lav) between turns. Is this true?<<<

Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE, think that "no disrespect" was intended in the question? Esp. when the poster interjects that practically anyone who works "for less than union wages or on nonunion terms" is a "scab"?

Saying something about JetBlue pilots, are we AviatorTx? Or is it just Mesa you're bashing (since, of course, the Freedom pilots were working for "union wages", and thusly are scabs, right?)? It's hard to tell.

History Lesson
Beginning of Freedom
Take notes: This will be on the Final!

Several years before Freedom started, JO opted for 70-90 seat aircraft. Mesa ALPA knew about it but decided to sit on their @ss and not inform or otherwise make headway towards communicating with their members or getting much going in the way of negotiations until only months before they arrived. There was a scope clause by US Airways that supposedly interpreted that 70-90 seats could not be flown even with America West. Then you have Duane Woerth saying publicly that the 90-seat was not a regional aircraft. It was to the point where the airplanes were already with the paint on them and AH was willing to let them sit as a negotiating tactic ( he wanted them flown for more than AWA pilots were making) and meanwhile the head dudes at ALPA were in close contact with Mesa Mec. It does not take a brain surgeon to see that ALPA did not want them flown at a regional carrier

History Lesson Part 2
Beginning of Freedom

Even with most of the instructors at Mesa gone to Freedom training, Andy Hughes was still telling people that Freedom would never happen. I am sure that Duane Woerth and Andy Hughes were hoping that it wouldn't. Yes, without Freedom I am positive that Mesa would not have those aircraft at their company. Most of the Freedom pilots I have talked to knew that eventually it probably be merged back into Mesa, but what they didn't expect was a worse contract than they had at Freedom. Some pilots at Mesa still believe they shouldn't be flying them - but still do of course, while bad -mouthing the original pilots for helping them get them their new shinyjets. I am sure AH will never admit to not wanting them at Mesa. Personally I think all regional pilots should only fly the BE1900 (sarcasm intended). Also, if flying for less than union wages makes you a scab, shouldn't all Mesa pilots be scabs? .

what makes them a SCAB?

What picket line did they cross?

Are they truly on the same list as EAL and CAL? No.

quit bltching, fix your own airline.

I.P. Freley said:
Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE, think that "no disrespect" was intended in the question? Esp. when the poster interjects that practically anyone who works "for less than union wages or on nonunion terms" is a "scab"?

OK, I meant no disrespect on the part about asking about the cleaning of the plane.

As far as the union issue... I personally don't think pilots that intentionally fly for non union carriers and helping feed the race to the bottom are scabs. I believe they are just one small (very small) step from being scabs.

Just my two cents. This is a unionized profession. It has been for many years. The non-union supporters out there are undermining the industry, while riding on the coat-tails of everything the unions have accomplished for the last 50+ years.

It's OK... Keep looking out for yourselves and sooner or later Branson will come in with another bottom feeder and hire a lot more. Sooner or later, status quo for a 20 year 747 Captain will just be worth 150,000 a year. Lets just keep heading for the bottom. As long as the CEO's keep making millions a year, thats all that matters.

Let's turn that around real quick-

Suppose you were out of work.

Suppose you had no offers from any union carrier that paid adecent wage.

Suppose your only offers were from bottom-rung regionals, with crappy contracts and poor quality of life.

You would not take a job at a non-union carrier?

You would not fly a 747 for ,as you put it, $150K?

My hunch is that you would.

Perhaps you would go take a union warehouse job instead.

Somehow, I doubt it.

Everyone wants someone else to fall on their sword to pretect their postion, or perceived prejudice.

Would I fly for Branson if I could, and no one else would hire me?
Probably.

Why not? If I take one for the team to "protect" someone elses job, I assure you that the someone will be more than happy to take the position.

Would I scab? Never. Absolutely not.

The difference is a question of values.

Flying for an LCC that pays poorly is legal.
Scabbing won't get you thrown in jail either, will it?

So what 's the difference?

Since both are legal, it is only a question of ethics whether a person decides to do one or the other.

Painting them both with the same brush is highly questionable.

Latest resources

Back