JetBlue emergency, no NTSB report

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070712X00919&key=1

In the above incident, no one got hurt, and there were no damages, but there was an NTSB report. I'm a newbie, so please help me out. Why is that reported and not this one?

There was a Pilot or Controller screw up in that situation that resulted in a loss of seperation and two aircraft almost collided. It was most likely reported by ATC to the NTSB and not by the airline.

Declared Emergencies rarely become NTSB and FAA investigations.

As for the brace position, who knows, that is CYA kinda thing.

I don't know. What defines "minor"? My landing light had faulty wiring and turned off while I was practicing night take offs and landings, that's a "minor electrical problem" to me and no, I wouldn't declare an emergency. What are minor electrical problems to airline pilots? If it was minor, why declare an emergency? Why not tell us what is really wrong? To keep the passengers at ease? Well, if you're telling us we're gonna be in a brace position upon landing, we arent gonna be at ease. Might as well tell us the truth.

<begin speculation>

My guess would be a DC BUS 2 OFF message which would result in the nosewheel steering being inoperative as it is powered on DC BUS 2. They would use differential braking and rudder to steer until the airplance stopped, and would arrange to be towed to the gate.

It is a minor electrical issue. I would say that the Captain had your safety in mind by declaring an emergency and getting everyone's attention.

As for telling the truth, how's this:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have just received a message from one of our computers up here saying that one of our DC Busses has turned off. I can't really say why this is happening, but it may be that there is a massive short circuit in the bus. This may be due to shorting, smoldering, and arcing wires, but it might not be. In any event, we are going to return to Boston for a landing. The landing should be uneventful, but because of our electrical issue, we won't have any nosewheel steering. When we touch down, we want you to take the brace position in case we depart from the runway out of control. Don't worry. We will be met upon landing by crash-fire-rescue. If we make a successful landing, we will be towed to the gate as we won't be able to steer. Did I mention earlier that we can't steer? You'll be able to tune into channel 24 to watch our approach and landing in Boston."

</end speculation>

I'd say that the Captain's intentions and message were delivered appropriately. You should thank him for making conservative, safe decisions and getting you back on the ground safely.

As for NTSB 830, DC BUS 2 OFF doesn't fit into note (i) which would require notification:
(i) In-flight failure of electrical systems which requires the sustained use of an emergency bus powered by a backup source such as a battery, auxiliary power unit, or air driven generator to retain flight control or essential instruments;

Any time that you declare an emergency, you'll be met by lots of lights even if you say that you don't require assistance other than an expedited landing.

I hope my speculation answers some of your questions.

Last edited:
If you had a problem in the Cessna you fly you may or may not declare an emergency....Pilots call

The brace for impact is most likley a JB procedure for any emergency landing,

All the fire trucks is standard stuff, it's like the fire dept in a small town, some guy's BBQ catches a tree on fire and every fire truck in the town comes, same thing w/airports better to be safe then sorry.

NTSB requries aircraft damage or injuries to people, Runway and seperation problems are mostly reported by ATC..

Smoke in the cockpit will get a jet turmed around and the ground very fast. I know you did not say anything about smoke in the cockpit but if I were a betting man....

I can't believe you paid 10 dollars to FlightInfo to ask this question.

I actually paid $10 to read and write in this thread about Palwaukee Flyers notorious owner Jim Kwasek, where I trained and got scammed $10,000 because I didn't know any better. You don't have to be a smartass just because I fly a Cessna and you're an ATP.

Last edited:
Polaris, did you search the FAA ASRS or accident/incident database. At somepoint it'll show up somewhere if you REALLY need to know EXACTLY what happened. I'm sure the pilots filled out a NASA form, so it'll show up at some point.

As others have pointed out, whatever did happen didn't meet NTSB and unlike the FAA, if you don't meet their rules, they don't particularly care. The FAA on the other had is a paper-work-generating machine.

On Sunday, March 25, 2007 at 7:32 p.m., the JetBlue Embraer 190 I was on performed an emergency landing at BOS. Flight 1017 took off of BOS bound for JFK, and right as it was reaching cruising altitude the seatbelt sign illuminated and the captain came on the intercom.

"Ladies and gentleman, we have encountered a minor electrical problem and we will be returning to Boston. At this time, please give your crew members your undivided attention as they demonstrate emergency landing procedures."

I like JB, but this seems like an overreaction IMO. A 'minor electrical problem' shouldn't require an EMG LDG, desparate phone calls to loved ones, and brace brace brace! calls. Maybe your A/C didn't have nosewheel steering like the other poster theorized. Perhpas they should've told the pax that if that's the case.

An ORD ground crew misconnected the torque link on our CRJ one day, we could taxi though and on TO the torque link came apart, we were airborne with the nosewheel turned into a full castering shopping cart wheel. We really didn't have nosewheel steering. On the EMG LDG the tires tracked straight until 80 kts then the gear made lots of banging and noise. The E-190 nosewheels should still be aligned even with HYD failure correct JB guys?

Latest resources

Back