JetBlue emergency, no NTSB report

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

polaris746

I'm new to this forum and I'm going to use this opportunity to ask a question that has been lingering in my mind for 4 months.
------
On Sunday, March 25, 2007 at 7:32 p.m., the JetBlue Embraer 190 I was on performed an emergency landing at BOS. Flight 1017 took off of BOS bound for JFK, and right as it was reaching cruising altitude the seatbelt sign illuminated and the captain came on the intercom.

"Ladies and gentleman, we have encountered a minor electrical problem and we will be returning to Boston. At this time, please give your crew members your undivided attention as they demonstrate emergency landing procedures."

That definitely got my attention, and pretty much everyone else on board as passengers began to gasp and shift about restlessly. The cabin filled with whispers and sounds of seatbelts clicking into place. It was no joke. Flight attendants had a ghastly look on their face as they tried to remain composed. They walked up and down the isles collecting high heels and any loose items.

When they began to demonstrate the brace position I knew something was seriously wrong. Hell, I should've known something was wrong when he said we're turning back. It was no "minor" electrical problem if it was worth the tens of thousands of dollars the airline would lose by turning around.

Since I was seated in the very first row and didn't have a seat to lean against, I was shown a different brace position where I clutch my knees. People were calling their loved ones on their cell phones and I tried to do the same, except I couldn't get any reception.

Looking out, I saw the Boston skyline. We were flying 2000-2500 AGL directly over densely populated Boston neighborhoods, and I found this highly unusual and began to fear the worst. I'm guessing we were lined up for 15R as that takes us over Boston and it's the longest runway at Logan. I had the airport in sight and knew we would make it, but I had no idea what kind of emergency this was.

I was looking out the window this entire time but on about about a 1/2 mile final, a voice cracked over the intercom and commanded, "Brace, brace, brace!"

As I said before, I was in the first row so I had to bend over entirely in my brace position, and could not see outside as the plane made a very firm landing. The ride was bumpy and the reversers made it worse. The brakes were heavily applied.

When we were told we were okay I looked out and saw us stopped in the middle of the runway surrounded by firetrucks and paramedics. I'm guessing, if the captain deemed it necessary for this much equipment to be awaiting us on arrival, the problem was fairly serious.

Soon after, we were towed back to the gate. I received a full refund but had to wait until next morning to get a flight to Chicago. I was pissed.
---------

I've been trying to figure out what the hell happend for 4 months. I've tried asking JetBlue, looking for a news story, researching NTSB, etc, but nothing. According to NTSB Part 830 shouldn't this have been reported?

If we had to be towed back to the gate, could it have been a problem with the landing gear? The wheels? Shouldn't I have the right to know what happend??

Last edited:
polaris,
Here is a question for you. If you had a "minor electrical" problem in your Cessna 172. Would you Declare an Emergency?

Soon after, we were towed back to the gate. I received a full refund but had to wait until next morning to get a flight to Chicago. I was pissed

So, the Captain declares an emergency, you land safely and without a scratch, you get a full refund and have to wait a day... and you're PISSED????!!!!!
This is why this industry is falling apart. What more do you want?

ok ok, guys calm down. i was pissed at the situation, not jetblue or the pilots. i missed an important meeting. it didn't mean to come out that way, blaming jetblue or anything. i would fly them again.

the reason i posted this was that i wanted to know if u guys heard anything, or knew of something tha thappend.

polaris,
Here is a question for you. If you had a "minor electrical" problem in your Cessna 172. Would you Declare an Emergency?

I don't know. What defines "minor"? My landing light had faulty wiring and turned off while I was practicing night take offs and landings, that's a "minor electrical problem" to me and no, I wouldn't declare an emergency. What are minor electrical problems to airline pilots? If it was minor, why declare an emergency? Why not tell us what is really wrong? To keep the passengers at ease? Well, if you're telling us we're gonna be in a brace position upon landing, we arent gonna be at ease. Might as well tell us the truth.

Last edited:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070712X00919&key=1

In the above incident, no one got hurt, and there were no damages, but there was an NTSB report. I'm a newbie, so please help me out. Why is that reported and not this one?

Federal regulations require operators to notify the NTSB immediately of aviation accidents and certain incidents. An incident is an occurrence other than an accident that affects or could affect the safety of operations.

If the one AC did not go around, then that would've affected the safety of the flight.

According to the CA of the 190, a minor electical problem did not deem the operation of the AC to become unsafe.

Latest resources

Back