JetBlue emergency landing (merged)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TDTURBO said:
All I know is the fire got noticeably more intense each time it passed over the paint, then extinguished by 90%, then repeated this cycle each and every time it passed over the paint. Instead of landing off centerline an inch, maybe they could use a less combustible paint?

Both points were brought up for discussion, no flame war intended, but the pun was.;)

Is it just me or is this hard to comprehend for some people?:confused:

Td, perhaps the coef of friction is different between the runway (conrete or pavement??) and the painted surface of the centerline... I would imagine that paint would have less friction, but if the reverse is true, it would explain your observation.

TDTURBO said:
All I know is the fire got noticeably more intense each time it passed over the paint, then extinguished by 90%, then repeated this cycle each and every time it passed over the paint. Instead of landing off centerline an inch, maybe they could use a less combustible paint?

Is it just me or is this hard to comprehend for some people?:confused:

I think that its just hard for you to comprehend. The runway paint is not combustable. What you are seeing is the white paint reflecting the sparks from the magnesium nose wheels being ground down by the concrete. Thats the strobe effect you're referring to.

I didn't get to see it, I was wondering if anyone has a link to a video replay of it?

SiuDude said:
JBU Airbus is circling LAX, trying to make an emergency landing because of a damaged gear. Live on Fox News.

hahaha im at training and when i saw this happening live, another pilot in our group said i wonder what dork on flightinfo is adding this thread right now.....

haha congratulations siudude

EMB170Pilot said:
oh my god...now we r debating about whether the fire was being fueled by the paint on the runway. ahhhhh too many jokes to say to make fun of you all
Well, that's one thing about aviation emergencies...there's always more than one skid mark!

Believe or not I landed a Navy P-3 with the exact same malfunction a couple months ago. Bird hit the nosegear actuator and cocked the nosewheel all the way to the right. Thing is, we didn't even know about the problem until we tried to taxi clear of the runway. The plane stayed on centerline all the way down. It makes a good story for interviews.

My arm is getting sore from patting myself on the back.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back