JetBlue emergency landing (merged)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jaxpilot said:
One of the guys that Fox interviewed said "these guys have the best training, they are airline pilots not general aviation pilots".... some people think all GA is some old guy flying around in a Cub, I wanted to strangle the dude.
Hahaha...yup.

The funny thing is, the people that are consumers of media products, just found another reason to be affraid of flying. After all, if an alleged failure of an "o" ring can cause the nose gear to turn around...what about all those "o" rings that hold the tail on?

TDTURBO said:
The pilots did a great job, maybe too great. I bet they change the SOP for that emergency to include, stay off centerline.

Notice in the video that every time the metal hit the magnesium based paint, it lit up like a blow torch, then went out over the asphalt. Keeping it off the paint, or changing to a different based paint might be discussed after today.

Or we could just fly around without tires since that was what caught on fire. :rolleyes:

As for an airline changing their FOM which states the crew should stay of centerline. I really hope you are joking.

Last edited:
Maybe without landing gear, I mean isn't that what really is the culprit.
Let's go back to flying boats, whaddayasay??

Dangerkitty said:
Or we could just fly around without tires since that was what caught on fire. :rolleyes:

As for an airline changing their FOM which states the crew should stay of centerline. I really hope you are joking.

It was an observation you apparently missed, watch the video again. Staying off centerline by 1 inch would have eliminated most of that fire. They did a great job, no doubt, but I think you will find some discussion on this point down the road since it was quit obvious that the centerline stripes were acting like a flame-thrower under the fuselage evertime the nose fork hit them. All it is is an observation that I think should be included in this discussion, unless of'course, you forbid it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
TDTURBO said:
It was an observation you apparently missed, watch the video again. Staying off centerline by 1 inch would have eliminated most of that fire. They did a great job, no doubt, but I think you will find some discussion on this point down the road since it was quit obvious that the centerline stripes were acting like a flame-thrower under the fuselage evertime the hose fork hit them. All it is is an observation that I think should be included in this discussion, unless of'course, you forbid it.:rolleyes:

I have watched the video many times over. Yes, maybe the paint contributed to the sparks coming off the nosegear. Not a big deal unless you are leaking fuel.But it was the rubber on the noise gear that caught on fire.

To say that a crew should stay off the centerline when directional stability is in serious doubt is not very smart. If this aircraft had gone off the runway then you have a much bigger chance that people could have gotten seriously hurt. As is stands it was a picture perfect landing.

Sparks coming of the nose gear because of magnesium paint (if it was really a magnesium paint I dont know and quite frankly could care less) is no big deal.

BTW, what the heck is a hose fork?

The blue/white hue of the flames denotes a magnesium fire. This is not caused by paint, but by the magnesium nose gear rims being ground away and igniting. Magnesium fires burn extremely hot. The paint on the centerline of the runway had nothing to do with the fire.

I don't suppose the fire would have had anything to do with magnesium alloy wheel assemblies?

When the tires started burning, the nosegear assy was left of centerline, and gradually tracked back onto the centerline.

The burning material breaking off and falling away behind the aircraft appeared to be pieces of both tire, and wheel assy.

An outstanding job by the crew. I watched it on MSNBC, and the coverage was great. Al Haynes did the final commentary as the Airbus landed, and some commentary as the video was played back. All in all, handled very professionally, and in terms that non-pilots could easily understand. While waiting for the aircraft to land, a discussion ensued about a prior nosegear issue, in which the reporters were careful to note that the problem had been addressed, that the aircraft was very safe, and that this was just one of those things that happens...I was impressed that they made no effort to sensationalize it, and handled it quite professionally.

TDTURBO said:
Notice in the video that every time the metal hit the magnesium based paint, it lit up like a blow torch, then went out over the asphalt. Keeping it off the paint, or changing to a different based paint might be discussed after today.

????????

All I know is the fire got noticeably more intense each time it passed over the paint, then extinguished by 90%, then repeated this cycle each and every time it passed over the paint. Instead of landing off centerline an inch, maybe they could use a less combustible paint?

Both points were brought up for discussion, no flame war intended, but the pun was.;)

Is it just me or is this hard to comprehend for some people?:confused:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back