Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue control problem over Vegas yesterday?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, but the absence of a LAND ASAP ECAM tells you the manufacturer thinks it is OK to continue the flight at least long enough to not do an over weight landing.

Remember the BA 747 crew that caged one and then flew all the way from the west coast to London on 3 engines? They got second guessed quite a bit in the industry. I popped one of the 3 hyd systems at altitude on a transcon, and finished the flight without incident and without any FAA Monday morning quarterbacking just because I did not get the LAND ASAP.

It's a bus thing, but quite handy if you know the logic behind ECAM and are up on your systems knowledge. The bus is very easy to fly, but can get really complicated real quick if you are having a bad day.

They actually diverted prior to Manchester for concerns of low fuel to to the 12% increase in fuel consumption. Also with fire reported shooting from the engine prior to shut down who knows what other damage could have occurred.

Pretty easy to be a Monday QB.

With the loss of the Yellow and Green system, you get no reversers, no braking except approx 7 applications of the parking brake, no nose wheel steering, and only 1 spoiler per wing.

That would have been pretty brutal being overweight in LAS.

Did anyone see a picture of the JetBlue airplane after landing in Vegas? Was the RAT deployed? Does the PTU get to do it's full self-test when doing a single-engine taxi followed by the second engine start and immediate takeoff?

Did anyone see a picture of the JetBlue airplane after landing in Vegas? Was the RAT deployed? Does the PTU get to do it's full self-test when doing a single-engine taxi followed by the second engine start and immediate takeoff?

With no loss of electrical I doubt the RAT had to be deployed. I am not sure what JB uses for wait time. But we use 3 min after 2nd engine start before we can takeoff.

If I was only on blue hydraulics, I'd want 2 sources to power that baby!

It's a good thought but it might not actually work that way. They might not work in tandem at all. The RAT might only come on line if the blue pump has failed, which means you're deploying it needlessly, or it may override the blue pump, meaning you're trading a known good component (the electric pump) for a unit that probably hasn't been in operation since the plane was delivered. I'd probably stick with the checklist on this one.

One system overheated, the overheat will fault the ptu.

Can you land the Airbus with no hyd at all, or are you screwed?

Did it in the sim as an exercise, which was interesting. I'm not sure I could repeat it in real world conditions. There's a sort of very low level reversion mode that really is only supposed to be used to keep the plane upright long enough to get one or more of the other systems back on line. It's not intended to land with. Think Sioux City.

But in order to lose all three, you either took a SAM hit that tore up three different isolated systems and lost all your fluid -or- both engine pumps, two electric pumps and the RAT would have all failed. Either you're incredibly unlucky or hydraulic failure isn't your only problem. Bad day all around.

Does the PTU get to do it's full self-test when doing a single-engine taxi followed by the second engine start and immediate takeoff?

Yeah, the self-test only takes a few seconds when you start the second engine. JB has a two minute warmup if the plane has been on the ground for less than two hours, otherwise it's five minutes, so that isn't a factor.

Latest resources

Back