Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue control problem over Vegas yesterday?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe people may be confusing the loss of all hydraulics on the Airbus with the loss of all flight control computers...

Two distinctly different scenarios.

I dont give a crap what airline, what airplane, background of crew, or how fat the FA's are. When you have a some pilots who are in a bad place and they safely land an aircraft without hurting anyone..............Fu#king great job guys and gals.
Totally agree, I would like to buy those guys a beer or 2

Pretty easy to be a Monday QB.

With the loss of the Yellow and Green system, you get no reversers, no braking except approx 7 applications of the parking brake, no nose wheel steering, and only 1 spoiler per wing.

That would have been pretty brutal being overweight in LAS.

With all of that, they check the Landing distance table for 35C and 2400ft elevation @167k lbs (Guesses) and it says they're going long. I think the decision is made, hold and burn. Easier to hold with 2 engines and the Blue, than worrying about winding up in the Luxor's lobby.

With all of that, they check the Landing distance table for 35C and 2400ft elevation @167k lbs (Guesses) and it says they're going long. I think the decision is made, hold and burn. Easier to hold with 2 engines and the Blue, than worrying about winding up in the Luxor's lobby.

There is a 35C in Vegas ? I'm not a BUS guy but was this a 0 flap situation given the problems they had ..

Was Nellis a consideration?

S

I'm not a BUS guy but was this a 0 flap situation given the problems they had ..

Flaps zero, or jammed where they are, slats functional...

Victorville is close by. 17/35 is 15,050 ft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California_Logistics_Airport
If that's not enough runway, there's no Luxor to be concerned about in Victorville; just tumbleweeds.

Four hours is an excessive amount of time to remain in the air with a hydraulic malfunction.

Yeah, the self-test only takes a few seconds when you start the second engine. JB has a two minute warmup if the plane has been on the ground for less than two hours, otherwise it's five minutes, so that isn't a factor.
Airbus wants you to wait 40 seconds after closing the cargo door to start the second engine, perhaps to allow the yellow system to fully depressurize. If you single engine taxi with the electric yellow on and then switch it off and immediately start it, does the self-test see a pressure differential long enough to completely test the PTU?

One of the most common reasons for the yellow system to overheat is a stuck cargo door switch. I find it incredible that the green system failed and very shortly there after the yellow overheated.

The more reasonable scenario would be an overheated yellow system faulting and causing the PTU to fault with it, leaving a green system by itself (not a huge deal). So how did they end up without a green system?? I guess we'll find out someday.

Latest resources

Back