Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue control problem over Vegas yesterday?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont give a crap what airline, what airplane, background of crew, or how fat the FA's are. When you have a some pilots who are in a bad place and they safely land an aircraft without hurting anyone..............Fu#king great job guys and gals.

I dont give a crap what airline, what airplane, background of crew, or how fat the FA's are. When you have a some pilots who are in a bad place and they safely land an aircraft without hurting anyone..............Fu#king great job guys and gals.

Well said

The bus has 3 hyd systems, and you do have rudder, elevator, ailerons, flaps & slats on blue system. You do not have reverse, brakes or nose wheel steering on blue alone.

Reports indicated a loss of green followed by a yellow overheat, then a recovery of yellow. A single failure does not give a LAND ASAP ECAM message, a dual failure does.

A dual failure without reverse and brakes would be sporty to land at LAS on a high density altitude day. EDIT: You would have the accumulator pressure for some brakes, but not normal or alternate brakes, and no anti skid.

Good job to the crew! I've had a single hyd failure in the bus which was a non event. This could have turned out bad if they had rushed it.

Really? You have to wait until the plane tells you land?

No, LAND ASAP (comes in red and amber varieties) is an *advisory* message that the problem is serious enough to land ASAP. If you know the systems, it's probably redundant but if you see it, it's a reminder that the problem is really serious. You don't have to wait for it before landing, but you'd be a fool to ignore it. Essentially, red means land RFN or you're going to die (or at least mitigate the problem so the red advisory goes away), and amber means land as soon as you can so you don't get hurt.

I guess you have it figured that Airbus pilots are idiots who have to be told what to do by the plane or they can't function. Maybe, just maybe, the Airbus ECAM logic is simply better and more comprehensive than what you're used to. For instance, I just saw the SWA incident report where they ran off the end of the runway because the speedbrakes weren't armed for landing. The Airbus won't let you do that (unless you don't even check) because spoilers being armed is a monitored condition on the landing menu. You're such a good pilot that you wouldn't need the reminder that spoilers aren't armed or that you ought to land ASAP, but the rest of us goof up sometimes - especially under the stress of a broken routine or an unfamiliar fault - and would like the backup.

No, but the absence of a LAND ASAP ECAM tells you the manufacturer thinks it is OK to continue the flight at least long enough to not do an over weight landing.

Remember the BA 747 crew that caged one and then flew all the way from the west coast to London on 3 engines? They got second guessed quite a bit in the industry. I popped one of the 3 hyd systems at altitude on a transcon, and finished the flight without incident and without any FAA Monday morning quarterbacking just because I did not get the LAND ASAP.

It's a bus thing, but quite handy if you know the logic behind ECAM and are up on your systems knowledge. The bus is very easy to fly, but can get really complicated real quick if you are having a bad day.

Latest resources

Back