Jetblue Competitive Times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CCDiscoB,
I agree with Jeff G...I sense bitterness about the hiring but remember, if you ran the company and had an opportunity to be selective about the qualifications that are on the street, who would you look at first...please don't take that offensively, it happened to me back in '97. Yet, I still believe the numbers are only to get you to the door...as stated earlier "The job is yours to lose". It is, without a doubt, a GREAT COMPANY. I believe this sites intent is to support and help those trying to establish a career in aviation and that's my intent. Now, as for my background (which may help understand who is getting calls): Retired Coast Guard (23 years, LCDR), 8074hrs total time, 3926 PIC. Two years with US Airways flying the 737-300/400 (help us out an fill in your background, maybe we can give you an idea of what will help). I believe one of the reasons military fighter guys are getting called is because they have the PIC time and jet time, period. That makes sense, or does it? It's just a timing issue for many because several of us were put on the street from Sept 11th, not much anyone can do about that. I interviewed June 26th and got the call 5 days later that I was going into Phase II, doesn't mean I'm hired yet. If you've been keeping up with the company you will see that they plan on taking on 11 planes this year and 12-14 each year until 2005, approximately 14 pilots per plane. Here's my 2 cents worth of advice, "don't give up". But let me give you one more thing that will creep up and bite you in the butt, and the company will pick up on it:
A = 1
T = 20
T = 20
I = 9
T = 20
U = 21
D = 4
E = 5
---------
ATTITUDE = 100.

And yes, there were a good portion of militery there on the 26th. The next interview is 16 July and from what they indicated , no interviews in August. Good luck to all.

I'm in my 15th year at USAir and I'm at the JFK Ramada right now waiting to interview tomorrow morning. If I get the chance, I'm jumping ship. With the new 275 minimum fleet size in this TA and the no furlough clause out the window, I'm right on the bubble. My qualifications include 3 years of captain time at USAir on the Airbus and 737. With the new stagnation, I might not check out for another 10 years. I sent my app. in on June 3 and they emailed me on July 2. I was very shocked to say the least in that I really didn't expect a reply for a long time with as many people as there are on the street. I've been calling all my connections for goage and I think I have some good stories to relate. I'm looking forward to 8am tomorrow!

Good Luck Buddy--
If you get it you can feed the family until you retire.
That is more than a lot of Pilots can say!!!!!!!!

Also, how in the hell can anyone compete with your resume.75% of my FO's got the job here through a new hire program from UND. Some thought they were hot $hit until 9-11. This is just how it goes in the Airlines----Lobster tonight, Taco Bell tomorrow night

Caddady, I'm also a 15-year US Airways pilot. I applied around May 20 but I passed up the upgrade chance at USAir a couple of years ago in favor of more time at home as a senior f/o. Without any recent PIC time it will be interesting to see when, or if, they get around to me.

The last couple of posts just proved my point.

Of course I know USAir has guys on furloughed. I was exaggerating, slightly. If a furloughed guy can get a job, I think that’s awesome. I hope they all get hired.

As far as getting my facts straight, I do, on how senior guys are at USAir before when they are furloughed. I find it hard to believe a Captain with the company 15 years is being furloughed.

I'm not bitter about the hiring process. If fact, I feel like we are all in this together and I am happy to hear when guys get interviews. I'm just one of the thousands that think being based out of JFK would be too perfect.

Fly Safe

I can give you the general profiles of the guys I've been flying with. The last guy had been a check airman on the A-320 for Ryan. I flew with an F-15 guy with 15 years of service that then went to EJI on the G-V before coming to us, a guy from a corporate job for 16 yrs, the last two or three on the Airbus. Also a Trans-Meridian guy with 1500 hrs PIC on the A-320, as well as skads of 727 time. With a pool of people like this, would you hire a guy like what was hired 1 1/2 years ago? Me either.

The guys I am flying with are great guys. They not only have great quals, but are great guys to go flying with for four days as well. IMHO, the interview process really does achieve what they hoped for, class act folks coming down the pipeline.

As far as upgrade ACwild, what does a guy that has by-passed the opportunity know about the process? We have to have 200 Captains by now, and there is no way they have busted 80 guys. I can honestly tell you that I don't ever once remember holding hands and singing Kumbyya(sp) with my instructor when I went to upgrade. With that said, it was by no means anything beyond your grasp if you have an ATP. As you might gather fom my profile, I've gone to a couple of schools the last few years. I can honestly tell you I learned more about flying in the times I went to school for jetBlue than I have since I started flight instructing. They are real concerned that the people they send to the line as Captains are up for the task, as they should be, but they give you every tool you need to be successful. My future, as well as profit sharing, depend on it. Listen to them and you won't have a problem. I believe I know who your brother is. He was in the initial calss behind me, and in upgrade with me, if it's who I am thinking. He's a good dude.

As far as everybody else, you can't do it if you don't try. Let them tell you no. Throw your dice on the table and see how they fall. I wish you all the best of luck!

JayDub

OK, Disco, I misread your post. It looked like you were mocking the USAirways guys, or at least made it look like they were just timebuilding when in truth they had their careers yanked out from under them. It rubbed me the wrong way. Sorry to jump on you like that.

I recently heard from a JB FO that some of the furloughed Airways guys are getting a bad reputation from their attitudes. It doesn't sound like it from the posts above however, I would welcome any comments from the JB guys.

Kjet,

I'm sure it is possible for a bad attitude to slip through the process undetected. However, in the end it will take care of itself.

I'll second JayDub's post. The upgrade is tough but attainable. Heck, if I can do it anyone can.

BTW, I saw the resumes of those that started class earlier this month. All were highly qualified. From what I remember (and these are estimates) approx. 10 from US Airways, 8 from military, 3 from other "large" jet airlines, 2 from corporate, and 1 from regionals. Again, these are not exact numbers but should be very close. I believe all of the US new hires are furoughees.

CCDiscoB,

I understand your frustration. All I can suggest is to be patient and not to let the frustration turn into a bad attitude. If your experience is competitive, I'm sure you will eventually get your chance.

Side stick-n,

Congrats! Had my head in the sand, so I hadn't heard. Guess we won't get to fly together after all.

JayDub

Latest resources

Back