JetBlue comes to Newark

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel-9sRule said:
Here comes the "Battle of New York"! Will CAL give up Newark? Will B6 get it's PeePee spanked?

Here's the current score...

Long Beach
AA vs. B6

winner...B6

Atlanta
DAL vs B6

Winner...DAL

Boston
DAL & AAL vs. B6

Winner...(so far)...B6

Newark???
CAL vs. B6

Smart money is on CAL... They will come on B6 like DAL did in ATL.

STAY TUNED SPORTS FANS!!!

B6 has won BOS? What? We have a new terminal there and you got stuck with the old stuff. We fly more flights to more places. But, you have decided that B6 won. Ok........?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
MedFlyer said:
The competition was too much for Song, but B6 has a better chance since B6 has a better known brand name and a lower cost structure. The congestion excuse was just that....a lame excuse.

It's funny how the tables have turned. A year ago, the General was bragging how Song served all three airports. By this Fall, JetBlue will serve all three NYC airports and Song will only serve two.

Ok, Song will be leaving EWR, and our slogan "all three NYC airports" will be gone. Oh well. I am happy we are leaving EWR----that place is a nightmare, and will bog down Jetblue. So, we lose a slogan, and they will gain some delays. Sounds like a good trade off. Isn't Comair leaving Newburgh? Oh no! Comair must be doing terrible....How can Comair being leaving Newburgh? The tables have turned in the upper Hudson Valley! Run for your lives!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
MedFlyer said:
You might be right, but there are a few differences.

1) No other LCC's to directly compete with in EWR. Unlike in ATL, where B6 had to contend with both DL and FL, B6 will only have to duke it out with CO.

2) Name recognition. JetBlue was virtually unknown in ATL....the same is not true in the NYC market. JetBlue is well-known and many in New Jersey have been asking for JetBlue service.

3) Market size. The NYC-Florida market is far larger than ATL-LA and can support a lot more carriers.

I expect B6 will have a tough fight with CO, but if anyone can challenge CO at EWR, it's B6.

Maybe you didn't know this Medflyer, but we have FINITE resources at DL. All of our new planes have been RJs (how are we doing, anyway?), and we aren't getting new 757s. We can transfer 757s from Mainline to Song, but that would also take away from Mainline. So, when we look at our Song markets, if they are not completely full, we take them out and try them somewhere else. EWR must have been one of those so so stations, and we will now move those resources to BOS for new nonstops to LAX and SFO. Good luck to B6 in EWR, and now they can say "all three NYC airports." Newark yeilds are about to go way down, because CO will fight tooth and nail to beat Jetblue, and probably add ex ATA 753's to the FLA service. Song will be moving those 757s to BOS to be the only LCC to fly from BOS to LAX and SFO (not LGB and OAK).

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Oct. 5th 2005

EWR-FLL R/T B6 $155

EWR-FLL R/T CO $215

Here go the revenues. And I've had fellow pilots tell me that B6 is not our competition; "yeah right!"

How do these get their CASM down like that???

COpilot said:
Oct. 5th 2005

EWR-FLL R/T B6 $155

EWR-FLL R/T CO $215

Here go the revenues. And I've had fellow pilots tell me that B6 is not our competition; "yeah right!"

How do these get their CASM down like that???

Take a look at B6 E-190 payrates and you can see where they get low CASMs.

AAflyer said:
Take a look at B6 E-190 payrates and you can see where they get low CASMs.
What a silly remark.

lowecur said:
What a silly remark.

It is an unfortunate accurate remark. But, GEICO pays their salesmen the same, so you don't really care. There are other savings B6 has that the legacies do not, like younger aircraft, lower paid employees on average due to less longevity(like our average stew being a 30 year plus----making top payscale), and picking up cheap gate space when able (B6 and Southwest took DL's old gates at BOS and SEA respectively) after the legacies build or move into newer facilities. Hey, that's good business---I know. We at the legacies will have to change (lower pay unfortunately) to compete.

Bye Bye----General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Song will be moving those 757s to BOS to be the only LCC to fly from BOS to LAX and SFO (not LGB and OAK).

Bye Bye--General Lee

You always have one up on us don't you General?

B6Busdriver said:
You always have one up on us don't you General?

Yeah, we're just going to lay back and let you come in and do whatever. You guys do ROCK! Rock on brother!

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
B6 has won BOS? What? We have a new terminal there and you got stuck with the old stuff. We fly more flights to more places. But, you have decided that B6 won. Ok........?

Bye Bye--General Lee

What did the new facility cost at BOS for DL, something like $15 million per gate? B6 paid about $10 million for about 10-11 gates-- do the math, it's nice to have new digs, but in times of $1billion+ loss per quarter, one must be frugal, don't you think? Additionally, Song flying against CO at EWR didn't make sense, you guys are Code-share partners aren't you? I think that move was a good one for both DL and CO.

Latest resources

Back