• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue class dates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Completely agree with you that paying 10% of your gross pay to medical bennies is a disgusting disgrace. It's just as bad as Continental not giving medical bennies for 6 months. Very sad. That being said, you can mitigate our medical plan issues by living a very clean lifestyle. It is a disgrace that you have to do this, but you can.

I am in no way saying this is right in any way for you, nor do I think it is right that I have to do this. However if anyone cares this is how I do it.
1. I am young, healthy, non smoker, and my wife has her own bennies. I use the least expensive medical plan we currently have.
2. I have an emergency fund that is large enough to cover the extreme deductible that goes along with this plan in case I get hit by a bus.
3. I also have a 6 month emergeny fund that could pay for all my living expenses for 6-12 months if I go on STD, LTD.
4. I put $700 (tax free) plus the company's match of $250 which will increase to $400 next year into my HSA to cover small issues. This takes care of very small issues.

This is how a very clean living can mitigate our very high health care costs.
So I pay $67/mo for my actual medical plan which is basically a just in case you get hit by a bus plan. This also only really works if you are single (or wife has bennies), healthy, and kids aren't in the plans.

Just some info for the new guys on the way here. Like I said, live debt free, and save as much as possible while you can for all the guys on the way here.

Sounds like you are living to work. Shouldn't it be the opposite?

This. I'm not gonna bash a guy for being young and having his financial house in order. JB is just making harder to keep it that way or for other guys to get there. 2 years ago my oldest broke his leg; on our plan at the time I paid 3k out of pocket. If he does it again next year I'd be on the hook for 10k, and that's a serious chunk of the rainy day fund. Must be that caring value we used to hear about…

Like others I'm not on our gross insurance plans, but this issue along with others just fires me up more. It amazes me the spin people put on it. I too live debt free, but its embarrassing to see our company just keep passing the buck on the employees. I feel like our new plans just got paid by our 3% retirement "fix". Sickening to hear folks justify the company etc. I'm all for the company being competitive but this is just crazy.

Like others I'm not on our gross insurance plans, but this issue along with others just fires me up more. It amazes me the spin people put on it. I too live debt free, but its embarrassing to see our company just keep passing the buck on the employees. I feel like our new plans just got paid by our 3% retirement "fix". Sickening to hear folks justify the company etc. I'm all for the company being competitive but this is just crazy.

+1 I'm in the same boat.

Jetblue today is not the jetblue I got hired at. Since DB took the helm it's been a bean counters fiesta. Cut corners and cut cost at any cost. Save that penny at the cost of any goodwill your frontline employees have.

Guys used to fall all over themselves here to help out, now many won't even answer the phone.

Latest resources

Back