• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue class dates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem is that once you give up your current position, you'll have no choice but to "live it".
With our healthcare , if you have a healthy child, you will be paying $7,000-$10,000 out of your own pocket just for the delivery.

If you get hurt or your wife gets sick in November of 2013 and you require hospitalization or surgery and then have a complication in January of 2014 or need continuing care, you will pay $14,000+ in 2013 and then $14,000 + again in 2014.
$28,000 in just a few short months. I hope you have that laying around in your cash drawer or you may find yourself facing personal bankruptcy, losing your house, or your retirement trying to dig out.

The point is, please think long and hard about the risk you are going to expose yourself and your family to by going to JetBlue. I wouldn't even consider it of I were making that choice today. This place is not worth it.

Ok man. I am as pissed as you are. I want a CBA as much as you as well. Lets just use the facts here and stop spinning info like the company does. The most a perfectly healthy child berth will cost is closer to $5600. This is a little off from $7000-$10,000. Also the max out of pocket includeing deductible is going to be just a bit less than $11,500/yr and not $14,000. $11,323 is the number the PVC and the company actually agreed on yesterday at the road show if every member of your family has a serious event. So when it comes down to brass tacks you better have an extra $8600/yr health care emergency fund to cover yourself and your family. So yes $8600 in November then another $8600 in Jannuary makes a $17,200 emergency fund seem pretty neccesary.

Now you may be adding in the STD/LTD to your numbers which are completely valid, but as this is not the conversation we are having lets stick to the facts based on the conversation we are having.

Another thing to remember....

I'm here almost 6 years, and I won't break 1000 until 2029. That's over TWENTY YEARS.....just to break 1000. So I'll wait 17 more years just to be a junior A320 Captain flying Carribean red-eye turns.
Just a few thoughts....

I have been looking through the most recent bids. I have figured out the most junior 190 capt. went to about seniority number 1750. I can't figure out what the most junior 320 captain went to though. Willing to to bet it is close to 1000 though. Maybe you can help us all out with this. Saying it will take 17 more years to upgrade to the BUS is just another spin, just like management does. Will you hold weekends off with no redeyes; no; but that will be a choice for you to make. If you don't like re-eyes bid the 190. Yes if there is no growth, attrition (very unlikely), no loss of medicals, no injuries, no military leave, this might be the case but come on man. I am tired of spins from both sides. Getting a little old.
Based on the number of upgrades awarded this year (65 between both fleets). If this stays the same (which based on attrition and aircraft orders it will be the same or most likely get better) my upgrade is looking at 8 years from the day I was hired. Granted that is to the 190 and not the 320, but that is still a far cry from the 23 years you are claiming to a junior 320 captain. Just trying to put as much fact as possible into the conversation and stay away from any spin.

Last edited:
Family Blue Plan
Premium - ***** ***** $384/mo
Deductible- *****$ 2,600
Max O/P- ***** $7,000
20% coinsurance = $35,000 or more to reach $7,000 out of pocket max.

$384 (x 12)= $4,608
$4,608+$2,600+$7,000= $14,208

This resets to zero January 1 of each year and you start all over.

If you are hospitalized for 4 days in November of 2013 and then again on January 1, 2014 and even have a minor procedure, the bill per visit easily could exceed $35,000/4 days.

For 2013+2014 you would spend*****
$28,416 total

Secondly, an normal child birth cost between $9,000 & $14,000
a C section $14,000-$25,000

4208+2600+(9000 to 25,000-2,600 x20% (1,280-4,480)=$ 8,488-$11,688 for delivery.

Last edited:
Family Blue Plan
Premium - ***** ***** $384/mo
Deductible- *****$ 2,600
Max O/P- ***** $7,000
20% coinsurance = $35,000 or more to reach $7,000 out of pocket max.

$384 (x 12)= $4,608
$4,608+$2,600+$7,000= $14,208

Again, I'm not saying these are acceptable, but let's stick to facts. First, the deductible in insurance plans counts towards your max out of pocket, therefore you would NOT need to spend $35k to hit the MooP. After the deductible, you have $4,400 left, so you'd need to spend $22k to hit the $7000 MooP. With the Blue Plan, your prescriptions also count towards your deductible and the MooP, hence the reason the premiums are higher than the Green Plan, I would imagine. So, that's more that you could count into it. Sadly, they don't say how much prescriptions cost under the Blue Plan. Looks like it's some kind of formulary set up, which can be good or bad.

This resets to zero January 1 of each year and you start all over.

Again, you're gonna be hard pressed to find ANY insurance plan that DOESN'T do this. My deductible on my current plan is $400. I had to pay $800 in a two month period thanks to my kid having a hospital stay in December of 06 and in January of 07. This isn't jetBlue or management trying to screw people over, it's how insurance companies work.

Not saying these plans are to the level they should be at this point in our careers, but we need to keep the facts straight to make credible arguments.

Again, I'm not saying these are acceptable, but let's stick to facts. First, the deductible in insurance plans counts towards your max out of pocket, therefore you would NOT need to spend $35k to hit the MooP. After the deductible, you have $4,400 left, so you'd need to spend $22k to hit the $7000 MooP. With the Blue Plan, your prescriptions also count towards your deductible and the MooP, hence the reason the premiums are higher than the Green Plan, I would imagine. So, that's more that you could count into it. Sadly, they don't say how much prescriptions cost under the Blue Plan. Looks like it's some kind of formulary set up, which can be good or bad.

Again, you're gonna be hard pressed to find ANY insurance plan that DOESN'T do this. My deductible on my current plan is $400. I had to pay $800 in a two month period thanks to my kid having a hospital stay in December of 06 and in January of 07. This isn't jetBlue or management trying to screw people over, it's how insurance companies work.

Not saying these plans are to the level they should be at this point in our careers, but we need to keep the facts straight to make credible arguments.

The deductible does NOT count towards the out of pocket maximum
! Also, although the Blue plan prescriptions count for the deductible, that is NOT a benefit. That just means that you are footing the entire bill for prescriptions. The Green plan has a prescription benefit where you are limited on how much you pay for prescriptions. The orange plan has the best prescription benefit, but still haven't found a scenario where that plan would be best.

The Blue plan is more expensive because the money contributed by the company goes into an HSA which then belongs to the crewmember and the company cannot take that money back. On the green plan, the company contributes the seed money and healthy rewards money to a HRA, which is for the employee to use and accumulate while still working at JetBlue, but the company gets any unused money back when the crewmember leaves the plan.

Last edited:

like the other guy said:

The deductible does NOT count towards the out of pocket maximum!

That's why it doesn't say out of pocket maximum. It says coinsurance.

If that's the case, then that's a completely different insurance than I've ever had, including the UHC health care I had a couple of years back. The insurance plans I had at SWA (ramper), Disney, Sea World, and my current airline, the deductible counted towards the MooP. I even just checked to see on my current plan, and yeah. My MooP and my deductible met to date are the same to the penny.

I haven't seen the actual fine print on the Blue/Green/Orange plans. All I have is the PDF that was up for a few hours. If you guys have the fine print, I'd love to see it.

Edit: Nevermind. I see where I screwed up. It DOES say "Coinsurance maximum." I was assuming that it was a total max out of pocket. That is pretty damn screwed up.

Last edited:
If that's the case, then that's a completely different insurance than I've ever had, including the UHC health care I had a couple of years back. The insurance plans I had at SWA (ramper), Disney, Sea World, and my current airline, the deductible counted towards the MooP. I even just checked to see on my current plan, and yeah. My MooP and my deductible met to date are the same to the penny.

I haven't seen the actual fine print on the Blue/Green/Orange plans. All I have is the PDF that was up for a few hours. If you guys have the fine print, I'd love to see it.

The other poster was incorrect in using the term Max out of Pocket as JetBlue got rid of that term and is using Coinsurance. The result is that you're out the deductible plus the $7K coinsurance before JB pays 100%

Welcome to JetBlue. We're contrarian to just about everything you've known or had at other airlines. And by contrary I mean mostly bad. Not all, just mostly.

We'd show you the fine print but JB doesn't let us look at those pesky details. They tell us everything we need to know.

[end sarcasm]
In the meantime, I suggest you take a look at http://lifesnotbetterinblue.com/ and http://www.bluetruthpilots.com/. Great info on both sites.

Last edited:
The other poster was incorrect in using the term Max out of Pocket as JetBlue got rid of that term and is using Coinsurance. The result is that you're out the deductible plus the $7K coinsurance before JB pays 100%

You are correct in the terminology JetBlue is using, and it is a little more clear when using coinsurance maximum instead of out of pocket. Most (but not all) insurance plans use the term "maximum out of pocket expense" to mean after the deductible has been met. I have been in the health insurance industry part-time for over 15 years so old habits and terminology are hard to break. But, I can certainly see why that is confusing, and that is why insurance companies love to use the term as they do. It makes you think you are getting a better deal than you really are.

Latest resources

Back