JetBlue Bigwigs and the 190

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
clickclickboom said:
The Purchase was MARKET driven not ego driven. With all that Nelleman has accomplished to date I hardly consider buying a bunch of Brazilian aircraft topping his list. If this was purely an Ego driven decision I am sure you would have seen an Airbus A350 or A380 announcement. ??

Well you have your opinion and Ive got mine. You certainly dont get wined and dined if you buy an airplane from your current vendor. You also dont get written about in the press if you go with your current vendor, and you dont get trips to a country where you speak the language if you go with airbus. Neelman is notorious for getting bored, and that is what happened with airbus.

I didnt even say a word about the airplane's problems. these are all conclusions based on a working airplane. Im sure the problems with the airplane will be worked out, but you are still stuck with a two airplane fleet with very minimal (in my opinion) advantages.

As far a being ceo... well i have my app in. You are right though critics are a dime a dozen.

The 318 is not the same type of a/c that the 320 is when you compare that the 318 has different engines, brakes, tires and various other smaller components. Same type for the pilots but that's about it for the major similarities. So why go w/ an a/c that first doesn't even meet the demographics for the type of market it's planned for and second one that is much heavier for that 100 seat configuration which will send other fixed costs much higher including the stocking of different parts (no matter what a/c b6 went w/ that was going to happen)... Southwest gets plenty of accolades about having one type of a/c but from what i have heard they have 3 different "types" of 737 that all have differing engines/brakes etc. So they really don't fly "one" type of aircraft either. Everyone likes to point out the "problems" w/ the 190 and they are true... there are problems w/ it that are being worked out. As many have pointed out on this board before, name an aircraft that didn't have start up problems...

Tail

This is all part of posturing. Jetblue complains about some problems and Embraer takes a few dollars off the aircraft price. Jetblue is not just going to give up on the aircraft, it's here to stay.

The aircraft is not just going to disappear. Embraer has no intension of giving up on the ERJ. Odds are the problem is not Embraer's anyway. The ldg gear, engines, avionics, apu, cabin entertainment, yada yada. Are all farmed out from the various vendors.

I have taken delivery of new aircraft types before and the problems are always in how the various vendors interface their software with other vendors. I would look for a few software revisions and all will be well.

Once again, an airline shoots itself in the foot to get low payrates. I like jetblue. Heck, I have an app in and want to work there someday. You'd think they would have been smarter than this. Outstation mechs that I was talking to a year ago said the airplane was a nightmare. This is not new.

fugghedabowdit said:
Once again, an airline shoots itself in the foot to get low payrates. I like jetblue. Heck, I have an app in and want to work there someday. You'd think they would have been smarter than this. Outstation mechs that I was talking to a year ago said the airplane was a nightmare. This is not new.

Jetblue's 190 are brand new . First one has been flying only 6 months or so. Which aircraft are you talking about?

Im talking about the E-170s that have been flying under the USAir colors for awhile now. I believe MDA or Republic operates them.

Capt X said:
Can you elaborate what POS is.
Seriously? You have over 12k flight hours and don't know what POS is? Perhaps you've never flown a Piece of ShXt. :)

I've certainly driven a few.

General Lee said:
Why didn't JB just get the A318? It too has 100 seats, and would have made training and reliability much better. Crazy. I bet the Embraer deal was great, but they could have used that against Airbus to try to get a good deal too on the A318.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hi, it's Dave. Contrary to you, Mr. General, FlyBoeingJets has a different perspective.

FlyBoeingJets said:
But contrary to JetBlue's critics I think the E-190 is a great idea. It attacks a slightly different market and challenges different competitors.
Hi, it's Dave again. The main market we are challenging with the E-190 is the pilot compensation market, which is the #1 threat to the success of any airline. The less pay for the pilots, the more pay for management, the true saviors of the industry. When people find low airline ticket prices, it's me they should be thanking, because we have been steadfast in our efforts to not let a bunch of overcompensated, overrated, maladjusted pilots destry the industry.

By the way, if your looking for JB Bus Drvr, here's a photo:

http://www.weblog.vannatijne.nl/wp-content/smurf.jpg

Capt. X said:
The 318 and 319 were not chosen because the engines aren't compatible with the 320's and the weight of the smaller Airbus's. Nobody has said what the problem is with the E190. Can you elaborate what POS is.

I'm guessing the problem is FLT CNTRL NO DISP. That's what the major problems on the 170 are. It has to due with the flight controls(FBW).

Daddy said:
One big problem with the 318's is that it IS the same as a 320 basically... making it much harder to justify the lower payrates which help them keep CASM down

no offense, but JetBlue is non union. Why would they have to justify the payrates to anyone?

add to that I think the cost savings associated with having one pilot group, all trained on the same type airplane and the schedule flexibility that goes with it, and I think you could have afforded to pay a little more than the 190 rate.

Latest resources

Back